“You could be in France”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 30, 2014

More "French" than most French restaurants are in France! And I mean that in a good way. Nothing is pre- prepared, frozen, boil in the bag or any shortcuts taken.
The food is delicious, authentic, best ingredients cooked accurately and with care.
We had 4 courses, including a small cheese course before dessert and it was all terrific.
If I lived in the area, I would eat there a lot.
No real quibbles, except perhaps that it is probably a wee bit dated - if, like me, you are on the cusp of latter middle age, that is a bonus. If you go looking for a lively night out, a long menu and "atmosphere" then probably not.

2  Thank killieman47

Reviewed July 6, 2014

I am visiting my French great aunt's creaking house, she who likes her food to be of quality, well cooked and she likes her recipes to be essentially simple but well tried and tested. This is the place for a lovely plate of garlicky snails or some foie gras followed by well seasoned pigeon with spuds cooked to perfection in Goose Fat. Our dinner was followed by a beautifully cooked freshly made fruit tart. A real locals restaurant where i imagine some locals have probably been coming for years. A great place, nice comforts, informal and in the best French tradition. This is not complex or modern cookery, it is just good food cooked well. Just what we wanted when we were in town. Good wine list foocussing on France.

1  Thank Elpescadosucio
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Went to this restaurant tonight having read various reviews and thought that our first visit here was long overdue! We were NOT disappointed in the least. The restaurant is relatively small but makes up for this with homely charm and a lovely relaxed atmosphere. We had the prix fixe menu and I had the pate de fois gras while my husband had a lobster and scallop mousse which he informs me was divine. We both had halibut for the main course with a truffle infused cream sauce and small but oh so beautifully prepared and cooked vegetables, each with their own individual flavours. Dessert was cherry parfait for me and blueberry and almond tart for hubbie. The wine was a truly delicious 2010 Cahors. I have to say that all in all this was excellent service and food; the chef's wife, who runs front of house with an easy expertise and endless charm was delightful and great but unobtrusive company. Cannot wait for our return visit!

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Visited this French restaurant a few times now and felt it was about time I left a review - if only to encourage more people to visit as it is always quiet. The food is classic French and of a consistently high standard. Bernard (the French owner and chef) makes everything himself - even the bread. There are nice touches too - amuse-bouches and petit fours are always delicious. His wife Jane does front of house, she is friendly and welcoming and helps you choose from the excellent wine list. It is quite pricey here compared to some of the surrounding restaurants but the quality is so good it's worth it. Only negative is the lack of atmosphere as the restaurant is so quiet - a little background music wouldn't go amiss so you don't feel you have to whisper! I will still give it 5 stars though as the food and service is so good.

3  Thank 447Sammy
Reviewed January 13, 2014

After reading the reviews here, we decided to check the place out for ourselves, since just about everyone seems to agree the food is excellent. And they were right! Truly one of the best meals I've had, and I've travelled extensively, also in France.
We had no problems with the atmosphere. Yes, it could do with a bit of updating, but we found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. That, in combination with the truly superb meal accompanied by an excellent wine, made for a wonderful experience. We've already picked the date for our next visit.

2  Thank anonymous603