“New venue needs ventilation but good food”
Review of Raffles

Raffles
Reserve with OpenTable
Raffles is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 65 Restaurants in Kenilworth
Cuisines: Malaysian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Malaysian Restaurant with food from the three Malaysian Cuisines - Malay,Tamil Indian and Malaysian Chinese Afternoon Tea - Traditional English and Oriental also served
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Raffles has moved a few doors down the road and now part of the Grand Hotel. Menu now more comprehensive and several countries cuisine available. Very elegant surroundings but fans needed as very warm that evening. Certainly in my opinion NOT a place to avoid and my suggestion is to read and choose off the extensive menu and not on the 'interweb' whatever that might be. Food very well presented by attentive efficient staff. Superb evening

Reviewed July 2, 2012

Four of us ate there Saturday night 30th June. The web site menu is comprehensive, but does not offer a taster option. That was a poor start before we even arrived. However, I chose my meal, as did the others, off the interweb. I was hoping that there was a specials menu, but when we arrived we were given a much smaller menu, with a much reduced choice. When the waiter was questioned on this, he said that there was a wedding in the hotel and that the kitchen could not cope with offering the menu on the web site. The "temporary" menu looked suspiciously permanent however. Rather than the party order a number of varied dishes off a comprehensive menu, because the menu was so much smaller we were forced down the English route, of ordering dishes for ourselves, starters, second courses and mains.
The food was unremarkable, the beef tough, noodles overcooked, spicing erratic and generally the standard you would expect from a cheap take-away. No breads were offered, nor pickles or accompaniments. Once the food was served we never saw a waiter until lithe next course was served. No waiter asked if our experience was good bad or indifferent.
Our bill came to £200 for the four, which included two bottles of wine. Diet Coke was £4.00 a glass. What crowned a poor night was that the restaurant added a 10% service charge, which I didn't notice until I looked at the receipt the next day.
In summary: poor choice of food, low quality cooking and non-existent service. A place to avoid.

2  Thank Allan C
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We went here on a Friday night with friends.

the restaurant wasn't too busy, which is a shame because the food was amazing. the four of us all had different things from the menu and every dish was well presented, fresh and very tasty. I can personally recommend the Tempura Prawns, which were the best I have had (contrary to another review on the site).

Service was attentive and discreet. Piano player created a nice atmosphere with a variety of tunes. It definitely added the the evening with a few older songs, made things feel slightly retro and fun.

We have booked another table here again the next time we go out with these friends. Definitely worthy of 5 stars.

Reviewed June 5, 2012

We were abslutely shocked by the extortionate cost of a very average meal. I would advise anyone brave enough to go there to check the pricing structure VERY carefully while wearing oven gloves - but still expect to pay a LOT more than they bargain for!

My wife and I had prawns for the main course which were in our opinion overpriced and oozing with fat and served with a very small portion of vegetables - had we not ordered the stir-fry noodles (at £5.95 extra plus 10% service charge) there would not have been enough to eat in our opinion! The fruit salad was uninspiring and cost a further £2.00 plus 10% service charge ON TOP of the £19.50 charge for two courses (plus 10% service charge).

This place is in Kenilworth - NOT Mayfair - but the prices would not be out of place there, unlike the cuisine!

Abandon hope all ye who enter there!

Reviewed May 17, 2012

My friend and i were the only guests and i wonder how places keep going when people don't go there at lunchtime. Ambience was a bit flat but my friend and I can talk!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a Malaysian restaurant which offers a range of food from Malaysia.

Service was good, food was good too... they do a lunch menu which is v good value - £7.50 for two courses and £10 for three. i went for Malaysian Chinese and had little stuffed dumplings - yum and chicken in coconut, which was yum too.

Go there for lunch people!

1  Thank Jen R