“'Cocktail Lounge with Rooms' rather than hotel.”

and 1 more site!
The Kenilworth Hotel
Ranked #3 of 8 Kenilworth B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 25, 2012

First I need to say that my husband and I really enjoyed our time here, but I'm not sure 'hotel' really gives the right impression.
The 'baby' of the Kenilworth and its raison d'etre is the cocktail lounge. This is really great. There is a bar stocked with every drink you could think of and a cocktail menu the length of the Mississippi. It is based on the old-fashioned idea of a lounge where you take a seat, open a tab and you have waiter service - lovely. To add to the feel, they have a wonderful soundtrack of old style jazz. The best idea, if you can, is to opt for the hotel's unlimited cocktail package. if you choose to buy individually however, I think the drinks are very well priced.
The hotel does not have a full kitchen so it cannot provide hot meals. It does, however, do great bar food - cheese and meat platters, nuts, olives etc. The portions are so enormous they could last you for a week! Also, the hotel is right in the middle of the High St which has loads of restaurants along it, so you wouldn't go hungry.
I wasn't so keen on the breakfast. Everything seemed a bit too 'processed' for my personal taste, but you can get hot food from the baker 2 doors away. The staff offer to get it for you, or if you don't want to pay VAT, they are happy for you to get it yourself and sit in the bar and eat it.
We were in room 6 which was nice. Huge bathroom. I agree that the walls are very thin and I didn't like the pillows, but there are worse faults! I imagine that in a building this old, regulations about what you can and can't do will be extremely strict.
To sum up, I think this is a really good and unusual idea. I wouldn't recommend it so highly if you didn't use the bar - that would seem like defeating the object.However, it is in a very good location, in the centre of the town, so that does stand in its favour. Personally I would go back again if only for the wonderful coctails!

There are newer reviews for The Kenilworth Hotel

Reviewed September 16, 2012

From booking our room to leaving the hotel everything was absolutly fantastic.The hotels gorgeous (especially room 6 ) Staff very friendly, great location, spotless, breakfast yum. Went to celebrate my birthday & so happy we chose this hotel
Thanks for a great stay

Room Tip: Room 6 is perfect,great size, with your own little patio area
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We stayed overnight at this boutique type hotel. The room was clean, very quircky. The bathroom was upstairs. which we knew would be when we booked it. Bathroom was fabulous and they have managed to do fabulous things with a very old building.

We knew we would be late back but could not get a key, we were assured they would still be up at 1.30am. However, our party had not finished when 1.30am came, so we felt like cinderella and had to go back to our hotel in order to be sure we could get in. Our room was over the bar and so we could hear them still clearing up as we got into bed. Had we been early to bed, I suspect we may not have been able to sleep. Sound insulation does not really work. The pillows were awful and we could have changed them, but by the time I realised (1.45 am) I was not going to go down and ask for different pillows. There was no tea or coffee making facilities. No rug on the floor, so when one gets out of bed it is straight onto bare floorboards. Did not feel comfy at all. The bed was very comfortaable. Staff were excellent. Breakfast in the morning was sparse. No honey, big mugs for coffee, no fresh bread only sliced bread for toast or croissants. Maybe if I had been 20 years younger I might have felt different, but I don't think we will use it again.

Room Tip: Not room 3 it is over the bar and in the front so very noisy
2  Thank TomsGrandma
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We were enroute to Dorset and this seemed a reasonable stopping point. I visited Kenilworth many years ago and had a rose tinted view of the town, but still an enjoyable evening.

I picked The Kenilworth based on the availability of parking, and the reviews here. We weren't frequenting the cocktail bar below, and unfortunately had a room above it. We were the last to book in, so no chance of a room change or I would have asked. The room was very well decorated, as was the bathroom. Superb!

Theree was a fair amount of noise until the bar closed after midnight, only to be expected I know. But be advised to request a room other than those in the main building. It got a little noisy at breakfast time, but the smell of fresh coffee did help us make an early start so we could enjoy a mug before setting off.

Breakfast was continental with an option to pay extra for bacon or sausage sandwich. Selection was reasonable.

I would come again, just would request a different room. Would say I think the room price for the room we were in was a little excessive, but maybe a going rate for the area.

Room Tip: Not rooms above the bar.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Excellent in every way. staff quality of drinks and snacks and rooms.
live locally but have stayed a few times on their cocktail experience ..well worth treating yourself.
if you want to know anything about cocktails ask Rob he's won lots of awards and really knows his stuff...he's passionate about it all .
and is definately the Heston of drinks.
rooms great B and O TV's molto brown toiletries all very well thought out.
well done guys.

Room Tip: i like the house suites but they are all good.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 1, 2012

OMG! we booked being my husband and I booked a room and a cocktail evening for our 10th Anniversary. The place had been recommended but I was still a little nervous about what to expect, well I needn't have worried, we booked in with no problems and asked for tea and coffee not a problem it was brought straight to our room, where we were relaxing. (rrom 5)

We went for a walk around Kenilworth and when we got back got ready and went to enjoy our cocktail evening, what an experience, not you ordinary run of the mill cocktails but the biggest list of cocktails I have ever seen, I started with a Wodka Daisy and it was amazing, we quickly progressed though lot's of cocktails and nothing was to much for the bar staff who were friendly and amazingly knowledgeable and are very happy to chat with you and talk about the art of cocktails, there dedication to the smallest details is again amazing. With the cocktails you have these platters of cheese and meats or cheese or meats, and there is houmous and twiglets etc. Very Nice.

The next morning only with a small feeling of being hung over, we got to have a shower in a amazing wet room, I lost my husband in there for about half an hour, and had to check he hadn't gone missing, again the attention to details are brilliant even down to the gorgeous Elemis toiletries that are available to you.

Again I rang for Tea at 7.30am and it was brought straight to the room again, nothing is to much for them, we asked for a good restaurant to celebrate our anniversary and were given a choice of 3 restaurants to choose from. (Harrington on the hill, Beef and Petit Gormund)

After eating out we were welcomed back into the cocktail bar with would you like a drink now, or shall we keep a table for you, more cocktails followed. Another Great Evening!

Some people have said the lack of a hot breakfast is a problem but it really isn't, they have toast Jams, Marmite, Nutella and marmalade, cheese , Croissants, with ham and cheese. Yogurts cereal, fruit, cereal bars there is probably more, I can't think of, and as much Tea and coffee as you can drink.

Thank you for the most wonderful weekend away, very relaxing and comfortable.

Room Tip: Room 5 is away from the bar, if you are going to have an early night.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mummyone
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The Kenilworth in Kenilworth is a real gem, amazing cocktails, beautiful rooms all delivered in a relaxed and and unique atmosphere.

No cocktail mix is any trouble for the well qualified and exceptional staff

It's a gem, long may it shine!

Room Tip: If you want a large suite just ask!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo