“A good base for exploring the area”

Chesford Grange - A QHotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Kenilworth
Reviewed August 7, 2014

We chose this hotel because of the location. Four of us (one using a disability scooter and one with sight limitation) were pleased with the hotel on the whole. Breakfast was excellent and hot with very hot plates which gets a plus every time. Dinner included on the first night was equally very good speedily served with a smile. Bedrooms on the 2nd floor as requested 4th floor was full were acceptable (apart from the eternal slamming of doors from those busy conference attendees), beds comfortable, special requests for soft pillows and extra sheets already and waiting. Swimming pool small but welcome after a hot day and there are games rooms for wet days. But we must say that whoever chose the carpeting has very suspect taste - our colleague who has sight limitation found the jazzy stripes very difficult to assimilate and couldn't tell if she were stepping forward, up or down!. Disability parking is abysmal - 3 bays at the entrance for this huge hotel - most others are for designated staff only. The others are miles away from the door for a disabled person. Come on Chesford sort this one out!

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the garden area, preferably on the 3d or fourth floor. Ear plugs may be re...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank LindylooCleveland
AKFox1, General Manager at Chesford Grange - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2014

Dear LindylooCleveland

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at Chesford Grange and I am pleased that overall you and your friends enjoyed your stay particularly our dinner and breakfast offerings.

We do encourage all guest feedback, both positive comments and constructive criticism as they are all equally important in maintaining both our standards and facilities and I thank you for your feedback regarding the disabled facilities.

I agree with you, Chesford Grange is perfect for exploring the local area and visiting historic spots such as Warwick and Kenilworth castles, Stratford on Avon and Leamington Spa, I hope we will welcome you back sometime in the future to see more of the lovely Warwickshire countryside.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

During our stay we were always met with a smile and a good morning etc. Breakfast plentiful but a little on the cool side. How do you cure a cool buffet breakfast? Our standard room was fine, beds a bit tired and bathroom showing its age. A/c in room welcome and swimming pool very much so. Just let down by breakfast.

Dear gunnerbill

It looks like our friendly team looked after you well and I hope this made up for the disappointing breakfast. Naturally your comments will be taken on board and addressed by our chef and restaurant manager as soon as possible.

This is not a true reflection of our normal standards at breakfast and I hope we will welcome you back again sometime in the future.

Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

The Chesford is a lovely hotel but I feel it is trying to be a 5 star hotel with a 3 star product! Everything is overpriced. I booked a groupon deal that included 3 course dinner, it said it was worth £26. What it didn't say was that it was an allowance of £26! Everything over £26 is charged for! My steak alone was £22:50. This is probably Groupon's fault I'm not sure, but that aside the quality of food was not worth £22:50- my partner and I both said the food had no taste! The service was terrible. We waited an hour for someone to bring us the bill, in end we got up to walk out, someone soon appeared! I explained we had been forgotten about and waitress then proceeded to argue with me! It was my partner's birthday that day so it was a little disappointing as I chose the hotel . Cheese platter on room service menu (£6:95 plus £3:50 tray charge ) was only available until 11pm yet sandwiches was available 24hrs? I had it the next day before 11pm but again it wasn't worth the money. Room was nice but they had changed the TV remotes which meant they were not configured to use the films on demand - it took 4 visits to my room to sort this! The two single beds pushed together slid away from headboard whilst sitting up watching TV , as there was a teak floor panel around the bed. If whole room was carpeted it would A, look nicer and B, stop the sliding. Breakfast was nice but had to ask twice to get a coffee ,as the first time it was given to a different table. I had finished breakfast by time I got a drink! Choice at breakfast was good. The bar service is good in the lounge. It's a shame there is no air con in the corridors as it's very warm walking to your room. The leisure facilities are limited, small gym and small pool, no jacuzzi or sauna, there is a steam room. Parking spaces are limited, on returning back to hotel after night out there was no where to park and this hotel is in middle of nowhere. We had to park on the grass. Leamington Spa and Warwick are 10 mins away in the car. Reviews are subjective, personally I would choose a different hotel in future , but in contrast a couple who sat next to me looked about 20 years old were raving about the hotel and saying it was the best they had stayed in. I've stayed in hotels all over the world and if they improved the services it could be 4 star standard, if they installed an outdoor swimming pool even 5! However in my view it's not at present. It's still a nice hotel though.

Dear davemaz

Thank you for posting your review regarding your stay at Chesford Grange. I am very sorry your stay fell short of your expectations which is disappointing for myself and the team. I do hope that you spoke with the Duty Manager while you were at the hotel who would have gladly assisted with any issues you had.

I hope this will not deter you from trying another hotel in the QHotel group sometime in the future.

Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

As members of the QHotel Breakaway Club, we have had reasonably frequent visits to their hotels - this being our 3rd stay. It was nothing short of what we expected.

We booked a two night couples break, including evening meal on our opening night. We decided to book a QStar room, which included a bigger bed, a drinks package (which was replenished on the second day) etc. Room was to a high standard and spotlessly clean. As stated we dined in the River Lounge on our first night - food was fantastic and as always, service was exceptional. Our waitress, Lauren, tended to our every need and added a real personal element by asking us what our plans were for the weekend. Breakfast was a buffet style format and unsurprisingly impressive. Poor weather meant we made use of the leisure facilities, all of which were impressive and helped us unwind.

A truly wonderful weekend and Chesford continues to do QHotels justice in terms of offering a superb service at a good price. Thanks for a wonderful stay!

Stayed: August 2014
AKFox1, General Manager at Chesford Grange - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Dear EdWolf

Thank you for your fantastic review and for giving us a top score of 5. Its great to read you could not fault us and you experienced the efficient and friendly service QHotels are known for.

The Breakaway club is a great way to visit all of the 21 hotels in the group and we look forward to your 4th visit to a QHotel very soon.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

After booking this stay through travel zoo, me and my boyfriend were looking forward to a lovely few days away. When we arrived reception staff were more than accommodating and very friendly. The room was very clean and had good amenities to offer. We had a meal included in the deal and on the first night were really looking forward to it. We headed down to the restaurant and were seated. Some of the staff were very friendly, but one was less than dynamic and he was our main waiter. As we ordered our courses, the starter came out swiftly and was rather yummy. Around 45 mins later, someone came and said that our course would be out shortly, an hour after our main arrived. My main had been forgotten, so my boyfriends had been sat for a while and was rather dry. As I went to eat my chips I noticed they were solid potato inside. My first piece of chicken was alright, quite dry and rather tasteless and the second wasn't quite cooked all the way through. Being chicken I thought this was highly unacceptable. They apologised and sent it back to the kitchen but at this point I was quite put off by my food. On reception they refunded the meal money, but still they weren't that apologetic. My boyfriend who had tried the second piece of chicken wasn't well after.

I can't fault the hotel or the service, I would just find elsewhere to eat during your stay. I have given it three star as an average rating, because the hotel itself was lovely but it was just really let down by the food.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Georgina A

Dear GeorginaA

Thank you for taking the time to review Chesford Grange and I am very sorry that our standards of service and food quality in the restaurant fell short of your expectations. I understand you have also completed the QHotels on line survey and we have responded to this directly with a gesture of our apologies.

On a positive note, I am pleased you could not fault the hotel facilities. The Travelzoo offer is brilliant value for money but if you go to the QHotels website there is some fantastic deals and offers available all year round.

Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

Lovely stay and mostly excellent staff. Swift check in and knowledgable reception. Robes not in room as booked but sorted by reception immediately. All in all loved the experience until we had dinner on the second night! Food was excellent but waiting staff were far too forceful in their approach. My wife was asked twice about having left some food and whether she liked it. When she then didn't finish her second meal, she felt under pressure again knowing she would have to answer too many questions! Then, the bill came. We had decided to add dinner to our original B and B reservation (after a sales call from the hotel) and had paid for the allowance in advance. We then got the bill which asked us to sign for the full balance (when in fact we had paid and should only have been charged for drinks). Less than 30seconds after this had been placed on our table, two members of staff came over to ask us to sign!! It all felt very rushed and like they were eager for us to leave to tidy up. Not understanding the bill, we asked perfectly reasonable questions about why it had the full balance as we had paid everything else in full and hadn't left a card for any extras so just needed to pay them then and there. The waiting staff should not have approached us in a pair or so quickly and made us feel pressured to leave. We approached the manager on leaving and asked him to explain the bill which he did do, however we didn't feel like our concerns were really taken on board and he explained everything to us with the word 'obviously' prefixing every sentence when actually it was not obvious to us, hence why we were asking! We were reassured by him that he would deal with the concerns we had in the approach that the staff had made. I would definitely recommend staying here but would advise against booking one of the later restaurant slots.

1  Thank Bobbythreat

Dear Bobbythreat

Thank you for your review and I was very sorry to read your comments regarding the service you experienced in the restaurant. However, I am pleased you were given a warm welcome at reception and enjoyed your accommodation.

I can assure you this is not a true reflection of our normal standards and I will investigate your comments thoroughly with the team here. I hope that you will accepy my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks again for your post and I hope this will not deter you from returning on a future occasion.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

I stayed here for a work conference and received excellent service from all staff during the course of my stay. I was upgraded to a superior room, which comes with a fridge (including complimentary water), a large bathroom and an adjustable bed. Buffet breakfast and lunch were both of good quality. Ample car parking and a great BBQ was put on just for us. Free wi-fi was pretty fast, although be warned of limited mobile phone reception!

For the cons, I found the drinks prices high and the choice of TV channels and quality poor. I couldn't really understand what the receptionist was saying to me as I was checking out.

Room Tip: Ask for a superior room and see what happens!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
AKFox1, General Manager at Chesford Grange - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

Dear David L

Thank you for your review following your return visit to Chesford Grange and I am pleased you enjoyed the upgrade to a Superior room and the food offerings at the conference.
We have also taken your observations on board regarding the drinks prices and the TV package.

We hope to welcome you back soon on business or pleasure!

Andrew Fox

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenilworth
Holiday Inn Kenilworth - Warwick
#2 of 7 in Kenilworth
Loch Fyne Hotel Kenilworth
Loch Fyne Hotel Kenilworth
#5 of 7 in Kenilworth

Been to Chesford Grange - A QHotel? Share your experiences!