“Long wait”
Review of The Queen & Castle

The Queen & Castle
Ranked #13 of 67 Restaurants in Kenilworth
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Located on the outskirts of Kenilworth in the shadow of Kenilworth Castle, The Queen & Castle is a fabulous village pub that is perfectly equipped to deliver top-notch food, in truly premium surroundings. With its stylish interiors and stunning dining and bar space, The Queen & Castle is the perfect place to enjoy a romantic evening for two, a lively celebration with friends, or a Sunday roast with all the family. In addition to this, we also boast a fantastic outdoor space, where you can enjoy your meal or drinks whilst taking in breath-taking views of Kenilworth Castle. There really is no better place to relax, unwind and indulge in the sunshine during the summer months.
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We arrived for our booking at 12.30 and were shown to our table. Our drinks were served straight away but we waited nearly an hour for our food. Unfortunately my roast chicken was barely warm, but staff were so busy that no one came to ask if our meals were ok, so I just ate it. The chicken leg came inserted in a large Yorkshire pudding. What is that about, I thought Yorkshire pudding came with roast beef. There was also another chicken leg on the plate and hardly any room to put on my almost cold vegetables. When our plates were collected, I told the waitress that my chicken hadn't been stuffed with apricots, as advertised, and that it arrived cool. I was offered a free dessert. I chose an Eton Mess, which was delicious, and served fairly quickly. My son, daughter in law and granddaughter were satisfied with their meals.
We have eaten here before and been happy with our meals. The staff did seem a bit busy and maybe my meal was sitting waiting for the other meals so they could be brought out together, but it's not good enough and spoiled my enjoyment. Eating out there isn't cheap!

1  Thank helibug
ChrisAtQandC, Guest Relations Manager at The Queen & Castle, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2017

Hello and thanks for taking the time to review our establishment on a previous occasion . I'm very disappointed a visit to us wasn't a premium one. The previous team missed the mark and for that I apologise, not just for the experience but for the retrospective response which should've been done at the time. Perhaps give us another chance to see things have changed in the recent year.

Thanks Again
Chris

Write a ReviewReviews (1,046)

Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

We have eaten numerous times at the queen and castle over the last few years. We went for Sunday lunch last week and were very disappointed. The beef tasted microwaved and awful and the vegetables and roast potato were cold. We complained and left without eating our main course. We paid for our drinks and Camembert starter, but really we shouldn't have paid for anything as we were then too late to get served dinner anywhere else. Very poor food which is a shame as the location and restaurant itself are nice.

QueenMgr, Manager at The Queen & Castle, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2013

Dear Pasajasa,

Thank you for writing your review of The Queen and Castle. I am very sorry to hear the quality of the roast dinners you were served were not up to the usual standards. They are very popular with our guests and I am disappointed we did not get it right for you this time. If you would like to contact me at the pub to discuss this further you can contact me on 01926852661 or by email - enquiry@queenandcastlekenilworth.co.uk.

I hope you will visit us again in the future.

Kind regards,

Sarah

Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

I ate here recently with friends, after not visiting since its refurbishment, but was a little apprehensive due to mixed reviews and poor service received by another friend. However,speak as you find, the service was spot on, the food fab and I loved the decor and ambience. I had pork belly which was super, although needed more gravy and the sticky toffee pudding which was lovely. All the dishes we had were very tasty and well presented. It's also a very pleasant place for a drink in the evening or if visiting the castle as only over the road. I'd happily make a return visit.

1  Thank Debbiedoodle1

Hello and thanks for your review. It's always great to get a fantastic review that highlights our establishment and we're glad your experience was a premium one. I can't understand why the previous team didn't thank you sooner!

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We were promptly seated (glad we pre-booked!) , menus provided and drinks ordered but took a while to come. Starters, mains and puds were good but a bit on the pricey side, service polite but a little slow. Splendid ambience in the old coaching house, certainly worth a visit but I wouldn't want to use it as my 'local'

Reviewed November 2, 2013

We had eaten in the Q&C once before (not long after it re opened); and it was fine; but not fine enough to make us go there again quickly.

So on Friday 1st November we ventured in there again (we hadn't booked a table, but were seated promptly on one of the two remaining tables!).

We both ordered a starter and were impressed with the size, quality and flavour of our choices. As it was a celebration for us, we both opted for the steak (we're always weary when choosing steak, as it often isn't cooked the way we like it) - but we were both impressed - the steak was cooked perfectly for each of us, and the accompaniments were spot on.

The drinks were regularly replenished - with some really good lager choices (love the Korev).

Oh, and the service we received from all the staff was great - but a special mention has to go to Sarah who made us feel welcome and well looked after throughout the evening.

And to the people who weren't happy here (based on their reviews) - trust me we're not easy to please, but we loved the whole experience and can't wait to go back.

1  Thank airedale_travellers