“Amazing”
Review of Queen and Castle

Queen and Castle
Ranked #8 of 65 Restaurants in Kenilworth
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Part of Premium Country Pubs, we aim to provide great food and great service. Situated opposite Kenilworth Castle.
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I love this pub. Very friendly staff and welcoming atmosphere. The food is delicious. A lovely place to sit out in the garden and enjoy a summertime beverage. Also a great place for parties and groups.

ChrisAtQandC, Guest Relations Manager at Queen and Castle, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2017

Many thanks for your review for our establishment. I'm not sure why the previous management didn't thank you at the time and highlight this review for our guests and visitors to the site to see.

Thank you on their behalf retrospectively.

Chris

Write a ReviewReviews (1,003)

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Was so looking forward to going to the newly launched Queen & Castle,booked a table for four of us, well in advance and yes,the decor is lovely-well thought out with little groovy areas and illuminated wine rooms etc.
Arrived 30 mins before our 8.30 slot so got a big round of drinks in at the bar.
My friend ordered a bottle of her favourite Rose` wine and always has a jug of soda to "spritz".We also orderd a few beers for the boys and a bottle of red for me! (I might add thats all us girls were drinking that night!)
Then we all went outside,nice area,so one of our group could have a ciggie. We then entered the restaurant by the garden door with us girls carrying our wine and soda jug.
Rather than say hello,the usual greeting to a group of 40`somethings that were about to spend heavily,,we were greeted by a very obviously irritated and in a bad mood bleach blonde guy with
"Where did you get those drinks,you cant bring them in here!"

He was really in our faces,quite aggressive,but at 8.30 on a Saturday night with few alternatives,we nicely explained we had bought them at the bar. "No you havnt`" he challenged.
So after a bit off a stand off and proof offered, he reluctantly showed us to our table with no apology for his accusations.

Menu is a bit different, bit unusual, but on the whole deliverd on time and tasted lovely.
I found the prices a bit high to be honest but as said food was lovely.

I had Liver and was asked if it was ok that it arrived "pink".I did say I wanted it cooked through but was told "No it arrives pink" I then had to remind the guy that as the paying customer, I required it cooked through,and whilst he was really curt about it,Im happy to report it was cooked through.
Also,the Steaks. cooked really lovely as said,but really really small!

I will add that we were served by a different person for every course but the most welcoming and lovely mannerd one who served us more drinks and kept us well topped up was called Grant,very nice!
(think he should do the meet&greet from now on!)

So to the bill..£200 for four 2 bottles of wine and 4 beers- starters-mains and two puddings and one Coffee.Mmm.

But I was delighted, when the first guy we encounterd arrived to relieve us of our money,to get out my £150 vouchers that were given to me as a b`day pressie. HAHA!!
He was furious!! he tried looking them up and was chucking them around and finding anyway he could not to honor them!
I dont know why I wasnt upset or offended...oh I do! he was commical..but I could have been,he didnt seem to care how badly that looked to me or my guests who incidently know the owners.

Incidentally,its really hard to tip in a place like this where one staff member has been a "Diva" yet others,as in this case, have been charming!

So we wont be going back until they change their attitude to customer service & increase the size of their very expensive steaks.
I will stick with our favoured place "Ego" great meet and greet,and good food sensibly priced served by one person, so you know who to tip.

I hope the Q&C read my review and take all my comments, positive and not, on board and sort it out soon because they are getting quite a few bad reviews and people do take notice.

2  Thank harrydog
ChrisAtQandC, Guest Relations Manager at Queen and Castle, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2017

Hello and thanks for your review which I am addressing retrospectively. We're not happy that you had a poor experience in the past and i'd like to extend an invitation for you to come back and give our establishment another opportunity to show you we've changed and we're committed to making sure you have a great experience.

Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

The Q&C is good for the occasional drink! Especially in the sun-shine.

However, this review is based on my last visit. Poor food, very expensive for amateur food with small portions.

What was worse is the slow & poor service we received.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

I put very good because I had a burger which was simply delicious. My partner had meatballs but they were a bit stingy with the amount of meatballs. They had some decent ales on tap and there was a nice atmosphere. If you pay for parking you can claim that back. The only let down was the service which was a bit slow, it seemed ages to get served after we had sat down.

Thank you on their behalf retrospectively.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

We live locally and often eat in Kenilworth. The Queen and Castle is owned by the same people as the Saxon Mill and the Orange Tree. Having said that the service is not up to the same standard with the staff appearing amatuerish compared to the other restaurants. The Clarendon which is next door is a traditional pub serving food and wins our vote given the service is far superior. In summary the Q and C has great potential but fails to deliver given the premium charged over the other options available. The menue is varied and promises much, however there is just something that fails to deliver- my husband and I chose the lemon tart as a desert on our last visit which had been frozen so the pastry was soggy- not old enough. Overall, I expect to see a step change o justify the price. A great location but needs to do more to retain me as a customt.