“local visitor”

54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“local visitor”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Being Kenilworth residents, we have a free pass (Castle belongs to the town) so can visit whenever we like. (couldn't afford to do this if we didn't have the pass or English Heritage)
Plenty to see, including the Elizabethan garden. Work being done to improve views from one of the towers. Car park fee is refunded when visiting castle, so it pays to buy a longer stay, as it's only a short walk into the town for lunch at one of the excellent places to eat.

Visited February 2013

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“kenilworth castle”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

great day out, when they have battle re-enactment days as there is so much more entertainment provided

Ripon, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Well Worth the entrance fee”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Despite a council run car park that resembled a skating rink, this English Heritage run attraction was a delight, and is well worth a visit whether you are young or old. There is enough for everyone to enjoy. I could describe this site in great detail, but I think I'll leave it very brief and allow you to explore it on your own.
It is well catered for with tidy toilets, a smart cafe and a thought out shop layout. To ward off the winter chill they were even offering a tipple of alcoholic beverages which were on sale.
NB: If you show part of your car parking ticket when you pay, the English Heritage staff will refund you against the cost of the entry fee.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank BlueZMonkey
Midlander (UK)
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“A good value day out”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I took my 6 year old to Kenilworth Castle yesterday. It helped that the sun was shining but I had to drag him away. The space was great for his imagination (he wasn't the only child dressed up as a knight and the kids just started playing together like they had know each other for years.)

There was plenty to keep me occupied and as a regular visitor, I like seeing how the garden is coping with the weather. It's a shame that the fountain is having problems bit it is still fun to look around. The castle seems to be continually developing so I'm really looking forward to going back tosee the new vantage point in the towere-should be spectacular, although there are only so many stairs I want to climb in one day.Only down side was that the cafe was taken by surprise by the bad weather so they ran out of nearly everything by 1.30-still, it made me try the elizabethan cake-honey and apricot sponge-it was delicious.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank achilles1960
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“plenty of ruins, history and walks”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

my partner and i fancied another day out (2nd half/full day outing) with our puppy; now 16 wks old.

Beautiful sunny day, little chilly during half term. main parking usually full, so we parked down the road behind the pub; still reasonably priced.. £6 all day..
so we walked up the roads to the main entrance and as we wanted to enter the grounds we paid full price, ( as we took our dog, we knew and were prepared we couldn't go inside any buildings)..but to our surprise so of the ruins have steps and towers that dogs can even walk with you.. Our puppy seemed more interested in playing with all the kids, it was busy but plenty of open air space to go pretty much where you want, when you want..
we sat and had our own picnic near the cafe but did not use the facilities, only the toilet - which seemed to be at the far end of the whole estate?? very up to date and clean but quite a walk from car and walking via entrance...
had to cut our day short due to family emergancy but overall a really good place to relax, enjoy the ruins/ area even many photograph enthusiasts and of course history..
note.. you can enter the general outside area without paying if you do not want to enter the main grounds (and) ruins etc..

really nice place, have been when i was a child.. although my partners highlight... meeting a 2 year old cockerpoo taking a walk with her owner; as our puppy is also a cockerpoo and this is the 1st adult my parnter has ever seen.. and both playing a little together was brilliant..
she did enjoy the castle too..just to add..lol

2 Thank Matthew W