“Great little family run hotel”

The Peacock Townhouse Hotel
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Kenilworth
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
“Great little family run hotel”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

This is my second stay at this hotel and my previous disappointments have been quashed. When I stayed here before I had a small room tucked away. This time I had a fabulous room (Room 104). The room contained some great furniture, comfy bed and a great bathroom. I didn't eat in the hotel but breakfast was lovely. The two people serving couldn't be more helpful. I would recommend this hotel but ask for a fabulous room

Room Tip: Ask for Room 104 or 204
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Spent 2 nights here whilst in Warwick on Business.

The first night I stayed in a room that can only be described as unbearable. The fixtures were incredibly old and dated, the tiled floor in the cramped bathroom was cracked and everything was held together with silicone sealant, some electrical switches were hanging on by a single screw and the air con unit didn't work. These things could be excusable (after all, the Hilton it is not) however the mattress was unbelievable. It felt like sleeping on a bag of nails. As I had arrived late (after midnight), and was dog tired, I did not complain until the next morning (after I had used the iron, only to find that it was broken and completely soaked my shirt through).

To their credit, the staff heard my complaint in the morning and put me in one of their 'superior' rooms. It was better, but still very dated and unloved (the mattress was better). Once again, it would appear that the hotel handy-person had been at the bathroom with the silicone sealant again, though despite their best efforts, the bath surround was hanging off. The shower unit was ancient and probably used to be white - now an off yellow. It was complimented by a chrome hose. The taps and other fittings in the bathroom probably used to be gold - but time and decades of over zealous polishing had left the gold veneer so thin - you could see the base metal underneath.

Generally, a very run down place and in need of some decent investment to bring it up to the standard that I would expect for a Hotel of this price.

Room Tip: Ask for a superior - Room 104 was where I spent the 2nd night. AVOID room 206
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Kenilworth hotels

Reviewed June 20, 2014

If I was to write solely on the customer service, I would rate this establishment 10/10. Hayley was exceptionally accommodating, and Alan the proprietor, but sadly the room I was allocated was not. An attic single room, it had all the facilities, but there was hardly space to swing a cat. The bathroom was a shower en-suite, but there was black mould on the walls and ceiling and a strip across presumably a crack in the shower tray. I could see why Hayley had wanted to upgrade me but did not have rooms available.

The downstairs was nice, with a lovely bar and award winning Indian restaurants with rave reviews. English breakfast consisted of 1 rasher of bacon, 1 chipolata, hashbrown, beans, egg and tomato. In short, I'd probably eat there, but not stay there.

I will be shooting the travel agent next time I see them.

Room Tip: Tell the receptionist - Don't put me in the attic!
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Busy little hotel in the heart of Kenilworth, friendly staff. I think it's pricey for what you get but average for the area. Parking is entertaining as spaces are limited. Breakfast was a bit of a let down, struggled to cope with the 7.30 onslaught...

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

We stayed a couple of nights for a conference in the area and it was a last minute booking.
We arrived quite late, around midnight but Allan, the receptionist welcomed us kindly and even offered us a drink for our late arrival.
The place is not the luxury and most glamorous one but it is a small, family style and charming hotel.
I personally stayed in the room 203 and was delighted for this small yet comfortable under the roof place.
With a windows on the roof, expect to get the sun very early during summer. Yet this didn't prevent me to sleep well.
The other major good point was the delicious English Breakfast. Hayley and Allen did a very good job welcoming us and we really appreciated their service and their kindness.
I would highly recommend this place.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Christchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Found the hotel tired, pokey and over priced. The one saving grace was the service and politeness of the waiter at breakfast.

The shock of being presented with an additional charge for overnight parking disgusting especially when it was not clearly displayed at reception or advised on checking in. On challenging this short coming the hotel owner just simply kept on insisting it was on his web site..... For his attitude, more focus on money than customer satisfaction, I will never stay here again.

If you do decide to stay and are allocated room 108 then please check that the electrical faults have been rectified......when I tried to report them the owner only made a note that I was reporting 3 electrical faults......refused point blank to actually record the actual details. He stated that he had a maintenance man who would sort......interesting when he does not know the issues.

By the way.....I rang back later in the day to check if the faults had been 'found'....only to be told by the receptionist that she was unaware......so as one has a duty of care I informed her of the issues:
The bathroom electric heated towel rail had a broken cover and had bare live electric terminals exposed
Hair dryer mains cable frayed....
Air con reporting maintenance required....

Plus the hot tap kept falling off
And finally the worst crime of all.......serving hot toast flat on a plate and no a toast rack .....

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2014

I'm sure Hayley and Alan wouldn't mind me describing their hotel as quirky. I likened my morning experience to that of a Galleon just setting sail and as it did so the timbers creaked and groaned (in a nice way). Then to be greeted, as we came down to what turned out to be a delicious full English breakfast, by the captain and her crew. We really enjoyed out short stay and would certainly recommend and revisit anytime. It was great to meet Hayley and Alan.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business