“Excellent evening meal, but no kippers for breakfast”

Loch Fyne Kenilworth
Ranked #9 of 63 Restaurants in Kenilworth
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Walsall, United Kingdom
“Excellent evening meal, but no kippers for breakfast”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

This Loch Fyne is the restaurant within the Milsum Hotel. As usual the evening meal, a fruits de mer was really good with excellent service from the staff. Next morning I fancied kippers for breakfast. They didn't have any...in a Loch Fyne! What was that about. If they had, had kippers they would have got 5 stars

• Visited January 2013

• Korean first
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Improved since previous visit, service still slow”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Much improved since last visit 6 months ago. Food still fine but no kitchen smells. Initial service taking us to table was fine but long delays before starters and mains arrived and lack of waiting staff generally to help with drinks etc. When staff did arrive they were attentive and friendly.
This said they were very busy so they may need to look at peak time staffing (Friday night after Valentine's). We also booked online which apparently doesn't show up on their table reservations book so we were 'slotted in'. This is a not a problem a chain restaurant should have!

Coventry, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Seafood”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

My wife and I went to Loch Fyne in Kenilworth for a Valentine lunch. The food was wonderfully fresh and cooked to perfection. The staff were knowledgeable and very attentive. We enjoyed the meal immensely and would not hesitate to go back. One point worth noting though, as with all historic buildings there are access issues for people with reduced mobility. When booking make the staff aware. They are very helpful and will but down ramps for you.

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Poor Service twice in a row”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We like seafood, and even though a chain restaurant have been satisfied with the quality and like the ambiance of the Kenilworth restaurant. We went for Valentines day 2012 and really enjoyed the "hot and cold lobster platter for two" We visited a few months ago and the service was terrible. It took ages for drinks, tables around us all came in we'll after us, and had all their food before our starters??? Ok, so we we disregarded this night and considered it a one off.
I called several weeks ago to book, you guessed it, Valentine's Day 2013. I asked if they were full, she said "no, actually you are the first to book and can choose where you would like to sit. So, I said in the very back by the grill. I also asked if they would have the same lobster platter this year and she said yes, for the additional charge, and I said that is why we were coming back. She said it was all sorted.
Well, we arrive on time for our 7:30 table. We were plunked down in the entranceway, not the back of the restaurant? Only table available. So much for what I was promised. We ordered cocktails, it took 15 minutes for our and yes, other tables ordering after us were getting theirs. My fiancé ordered a Cosmo, it came out served in a very warm wine glass? The drink was not even chilled.
Waiter brought menus and I said we already knew what we would like to order, the lobster platter. He responded that they were sold out and we could choose only between two types of fish, that was it. I asked for the manager, the waiter went off and spoke to them, miraculously the found a lobster, and platter.
I ordered the oysters, 3 hot and 3 cold plate as my starter. All 6 arrived cold. Bread served was stale. Never asked how our starters were. They took our starters and cutlery away and brought the lobster/seafood platter. We sat and admired it but without cutlery we could only watch as the lobster chilled. Had to chase a server down and ask for cutlery. She brought the seafood tools, but still no forks or knives. Had to wait again to flag someone down for those. By now lobster getting cold. No one ever stopped to as how the food was. When the bill came I queried why there were two Champagnes on the bill. We did not have any. The waiter tried very poorly to explain the we were not charged, they were free, even though we did not have them? I asked him to correct the bill. He did, came back and the bill went up! He brought back the old bill and let me choose which one to pay. He was very unclear explaining the bill, BUT CRYSTAL CLEAR on how to add his gratuity! Adios Loch Fyne Kenilworth. Never again.

2 Thank Tamarack1965
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Where did the rest of the portion go?”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We have had at we had in the bar tonight (again good quality) were woefully poor in siztake away fish and chips here and although the food was good it was sparse, my wife and I put it down to 'take away' portion sizing. However the fish and chips thing especially for the prices they charge. Sort it out lock fyne it's not going unnoticed that the portion sizes are ridiculous! Also, our empty plates were sat next to us for 30 minutes and I had to ask for them to be removed!!!!