“A little gem”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Kenilworth
Bucks
“A little gem”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I recently spent a 2 night break at Milsoms Hotel in Kenilworth, Warwickshire. The hotel was very comfortable, the staff excellent and the ambience superb. Even on a busy Friday evening there were planty of seating areas in which to relax with friends. The Loch Fyne restaurant, although busy, was an excellent experience. The staff ensured that all tables were well looked after and the food superb. Breakfast was taken in the restaurant and you could watch your meal being cooked to order.Overall i had 2 small niggles, I struggled up difficult stairs to my room, carrying 2 bags and a suit carrier as no one was free to help me. The other was the overhead shower,central in the bath, which came with a shower curtain that was only 1' away from the shower head, making it impossible to shower without being wrapped in the curtain.

Room Tip: Check room size and shower information when booking. Singles can be small.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Korean first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Nice enough, but slightly disappointing overall.

Only problem with the room was with the shower, which was barely big enough to turn round in (room 7), also seemed to get hot water from the cold tap on occasion which was odd.

Food also was ok but not great. Had dinner on first night of my stay then found that the pub across the road was much better and dined there for the rest of the time. Although there was a good breakfast choice I didn't think the quality was very good, although the flies buzzing around the dining room tended to put me off anyway.

Overall it was ok, but I think there will be better options in the area for future stays.

• Stayed July 2013
Pontefract, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013

booked a 3 night stay, lovely staff, welcoming and pleasant in all areas.
ate at the loch fyne fish restaurant and oyster bar on the first evening, have to say, most enjoyable meal and experience,
the rooms are comfortable (pillows quite hard though !! only downside for me) and unfortunately, the prime location of this hotel coupled with the age of the building, does lend itself to some horrific road noise if your bedroom is on the front of the hotel.
breakfast was excellent, and the hotel is brilliantly located for sightseeing around the warwickshire area. would return, without a doubt.

Room Tip: ones on the front of the hotel facing the main road / crossroads are very noisy.
Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We were attending our son's graduation & this was a good base for that. The rooms were basic, but clean & suitable for what we needed. The only downside, was the heat in them, because despite having a fan, we were still very hot. I realise it was very hot weather at the time, but feel this should be looked into for the future. The breakfast was plentiful & tasty, so it proved to be good value. The hotel staff even held onto our luggage whilst we attended the ceremony, which was a big help. Worth a visit!

Ramsbury Wiltshire
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel is lively and yet the rooms are quiet. The service is friendly but the dining room was very busy, possibly too popular although it was a Saturday night. Good parking facilities and with fields and the castle nearby it was a good place from which to go wandering.

Room Tip: Room was small so check if there are any bigger
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
UK
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed here over a very sunny weekend in July.

We sat out at the front of the hotel in the afternoon for drinks, and ate in the restaurant in the evening.

The staff, service and price were all excellent.

We would stay again.

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

I really like Kenilworth, I stay there at least 3 times every year , but this year I could not stay in the Bakers Arms ( the Pub not the actual Baker ) and myself and coleuges had to stay in the fishy hotel next door. Milsoms i am lead to beleive is a excellant Fish based restaurant. Now before I carry on I must declare a interest in that I really love fish ( not the one from Marillion although Script for a jesters tear is one of my favourite prog albums ) but I love Fish so much that like all other animals I won't eat them. So a Vegetarin in a fish based hotel is not a great start, but for now I am prepared to silo that thought until the Vegetarian revolution when we plan to enslave all the meat eaters until they convert.

So the good things first, the WiFi is fine, and you can get Radio 4 ok the TV. The bar area is OK , althou i notice the selection of real ales has dropped down slighly .

The main problem is that , My Nan told me never to get to close to the TV as your eyes will go square , but in the size of the room I had no choice. The last time I slept in a single bed I was 6 , I am now 45 and not best suited to a child's bed ( even Premier Inns have doubles ) . Due to the room size there were also horribly hot , and the only openable window was on to a flat roof which meant if anybody else opened there window you could hear complete conversations ( and I did and will not breathe a word about the things you purchased in SoHo , perversion is only a matter of what you think is normal)

The bathroom was OK , but I don't understand when space is tight why they bother with a bath and Shower combination, it's the 21st century ,we don't need Baths we can cope with just showers.

And then the breakfast....I resorted to offering the chef my watch to allow him to actually cook the boiled eggs. 2 days in a row I sent them back and had scrambled eggs.

The staff in the hotel part are nice, the serving staff in the breakfast room are at best poor.

My advise is STAY AT THE BAKERS ARMS.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business