“Box Frenzy”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Kenilworth
Bath, United Kingdom
“Box Frenzy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

I really like Kenilworth, I stay there at least 3 times every year , but this year I could not stay in the Bakers Arms ( the Pub not the actual Baker ) and myself and coleuges had to stay in the fishy hotel next door. Milsoms i am lead to beleive is a excellant Fish based restaurant. Now before I carry on I must declare a interest in that I really love fish ( not the one from Marillion although Script for a jesters tear is one of my favourite prog albums ) but I love Fish so much that like all other animals I won't eat them. So a Vegetarin in a fish based hotel is not a great start, but for now I am prepared to silo that thought until the Vegetarian revolution when we plan to enslave all the meat eaters until they convert.

So the good things first, the WiFi is fine, and you can get Radio 4 ok the TV. The bar area is OK , althou i notice the selection of real ales has dropped down slighly .

The main problem is that , My Nan told me never to get to close to the TV as your eyes will go square , but in the size of the room I had no choice. The last time I slept in a single bed I was 6 , I am now 45 and not best suited to a child's bed ( even Premier Inns have doubles ) . Due to the room size there were also horribly hot , and the only openable window was on to a flat roof which meant if anybody else opened there window you could hear complete conversations ( and I did and will not breathe a word about the things you purchased in SoHo , perversion is only a matter of what you think is normal)

The bathroom was OK , but I don't understand when space is tight why they bother with a bath and Shower combination, it's the 21st century ,we don't need Baths we can cope with just showers.

And then the breakfast....I resorted to offering the chef my watch to allow him to actually cook the boiled eggs. 2 days in a row I sent them back and had scrambled eggs.

The staff in the hotel part are nice, the serving staff in the breakfast room are at best poor.

My advise is STAY AT THE BAKERS ARMS.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Invisigothh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

I booked a room for one night at Milsom's via Late Rooms, at a very good rate. Once I had received the email confirmation of the booking, I forwarded it to the hotel team, asking if they could give me a room of their choice, to suit my needs to celebrate an anniversary.

Jana, from reception, came straight back, saying she had allocated room 3, which was a little more suited to the occasion.

I also arranged with Castle Flowers of Kenilworth, to deliver a bouquet, especially created for the visit and informed Jana, that these would be delivered to be placed in the room.

We arrived at 3.00pm and had a light lunch and bottle of wine outside, before going into town for a few hours. We had at this point nay checked in and not been up to the room.

On our return, I collected the case fom the car and duly shepherded my partner to the room. When I opened the door to let her in, the room and bed had been decorated with rose petals and the most stunning bouquet sat in the corner. Jo was absolutely speechless and I would like to thank both Jana and theTeam and also, Castle Flowers, for making this weekend memorable.

Room 3 may not be the biggest, (perhaps I should have told Jana that I was 6' 7") and the view may not be across a cascading landscape, but the room was immaculate and the decor, fitting with the age of the building.

I would most certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Parking is around the back of the hotel and is worth getting into sooner rather than later as I can...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Knaresborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Stayed 2 nights June 2013. First and foremost a really lovely location within walking distance of Kenilworth Castle and other nice restaurants and bars. 20/30 mins to Warwick and or Stratford Upon Avon. Reception staff were outstanding. Lovely young lady organised taxi to concert for us and couldn't have been more helpful. Got back from concert 10.45 and couldn't get served at bar as last orders had been called but went next door to The Old Bakery which was lovely ....and still serving !! Disappointed with room which was very small and the noisy extractor and automatic light in bathroom annoying if you have to use bathroom during the night. Also very hot and couldn't have window open as roadside and noisy. Room 26. Bottled water, tea and coffee in room was nice. Loch Fyne restaurant was very good in evenings but breakfast let hotel down. Breakfast was served 8am till 10am on Saturday but by 9am we were told no bread and pastries for 15 mins ( awaiting delivery ?) no fresh fruit and we were served cold dregs of coffee. Cooked breakfast selection was good though. Hotel needs to address shortcomings.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KayGaz
Hemel Hempstead
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

I recently stayed here for one night although work colleagues endured 3 nights. The hotel offers free parking and wi-fi, and is situated in Kenilworth which offers a good variety of places to eat and drink!
I had a small single room, which for 1 night was OK, but it was really small although the bed was comfortable. The hotel is clean, serves real ale and has a Loch Fyne restaurant which is obviously good news for fish lovers.
My only real gripe, and the gripe of most in our group was breakfast. When you wait 10 minutes for boiled eggs, you don't expect runny whites, and when you wait 15 minutes for a full cooked breakfast, you don't expect sausages that look like they've seen a frying pan for no more than a minute!
If they up their game at breakfast they will have much happier guests!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JustinHemel
Oxford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

A small and charming hotel. The room was clean, warm and homely, I was at the back of the hotel which was lovely and quiet until 5.30am when they decided to clean the patio and smoking area underneath my room. The onsite Loch Fyne restaurant was good quality and great value for money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Colchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

A charming small hotel, in the nice town of Kenilworth. I stay there a few times a month on business, and have found that the rooms are always clean, warm and homely. Its not over the top, and rather quaint.
It benefits from the attached Loch Fyne restaurant and bar, which is always good quality and value. Staff are very helpful and welcoming. Only downside is that its so popular, you really need to book in advance for a table - or eat at the bar as I have done, a few times.

Room Tip: Still working my way through them! No real favourite.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
wimborne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

Although rooms are quite small and not ultra modern with a very small cheap flat screen tv , rooms are very clean, beds comfortable and facilities adequate for a one or two night stay. The added bonus is that the restaurant is on site serving amazing high standard food with professionalism and very busy. It reminded us of an old coaching inn, very quaint and not ostentatious. Food outstanding and breakfast which is served in the restaurant was relaxed and of a very high standard and choice. Morning papers and very friendly staff. Would definitely stay here again if in th area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple