“small but lovely room”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Kenilworth
South Wales
“small but lovely room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2011

Myself and my husband stayed for one night in a double room. The room was lovely and clean but was quite small, the bathroom was a good size and there was lots of lovely toiletries. We did not eat dinner in the restaurant so cant comment on this but the breakfast of smoked salmon and scrambled egg was very nice. This is a nice hotel for a one night stay but due to the size of the room wouldnt stay longer, we paid £60 so it was very good value for money.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Korean first
Halifax
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2011

I wanted to take a long break so I got down here after long drive and long year at the new year's eve. It was an unforgettable experience during my stay at this hotel for 5 days. There were many reasons that made my stay truly enjoyable. Hotel crew and staffs were very helpful and friendly. They always greeted me whenever I left and arrived back to the hotel, the service call was quick and in a flash. I can say that their customer service was excellent as I recall on my first day about my lost map and got precise directions to reach the hotel, they were patient enough to stay with me. In addition, guest rooms have all the amenities to entertain my visitors - satellite TV and I cn even plug in the games. But I would never ever forget their great breakfast selections which made me excited every morning I woke up. I would definitely come back and recommend this hotel to my friends and relatives. It is located on great and beautiful countryside and I will share great stories to them as I felt well taken care of and safe.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Birmingham UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2011

My husband & I stayed here with 2 other couples on New Years Eve. It was near the castle, in the old part of Kenilworth.
Arrival was warm & friendly. We had room 26 which was VERY small, but our other friends had bigger & better rooms which were better laid out so that they didn't have to sidle like a crab around the bed to the en-suite as we did.

The New Years evening entertainment was good. We were given a complimentary glass of fizz on arrival in the dining room. All the waiters & waitresses were very friendly & checked on us frequently. The 3 course meal was very nice. Only downside for me was that our table was situated right by the fish 'counter' & although it was cleared later in the evening, it still smelled strongly of fish, which by 11pm onwards, in the heat of the evening wasn't pleasant.

At 12o'clock there was a nice atmosphere. All the staff were given half an hour to celebrate too which was a nice touch. Only downside to that was that all staff were given complimentary glasses of fizz to celebrate the New Year & I would have preferred to have our free glass at that point. There werent that many guests up on the dance floor then & we hadn't got a glass to celebrate.

Breakfast was disappointing. A largish plate with not much on it. As I remember, no mushrooms, tomatoes, beans, hash browns - only 2 tiny rashers of bacon & a hard egg. One of our party complained about his egg, but after a very long wait, was given another one just as bad.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Epsom Downs, Surrey, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2011

Hotel room clean, tidy, nice decor but room was very small for a double (room 26). We had to walk sideways round the bed to access the en-suite and dodge the TV screen hanging on the wall at the foot of the bed at chest height. En-suite compact, water very hot, although they do have a warning above the taps, and the loo seat did not fit properly! En-suite would probably have been a better fit had it been a wet room and not squeezed a bath into it, and the bedroom should only be a single for its size. OK for one night, but if staying again would definitely request a larger room.

Breakfast in Loch Fyne was great.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2011

Just returned from a two night stay in this hotel. It is in a delightful part of Old Kenilworth with car parking to rear of hotel. Rooms were comfortable though they vary in size. The Loch Fyne retaurant is one of the best I have been to. The haddock with the poached egg at Breakfast could have been bigger but our own complaint. The staff were first class. Always ready to help and very cheerful and polite. We do hope to return and have no hestitation in recommending it to others.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Cornwall, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2011

Stayed here before on business in their double rooms. This time around I booked a single room and it was smaller than single more of a tiny box room, there were no drawers to put any clothes in and the wardrobe was that tiny that the hangers hung on an angle. The room had paper thin walls to the point where my colleague in the next room could even hear me on my phone conversation.
Parking this time around was absolutely abysmal, there was such a lack of it that we had to walk at least a half mile from where we parked the car.
Breakfast was ok, service at breakfast was good though.
All in all I will not be going back after this experience.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Andover
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2011

The hotel is an a building several hundred years old near the High Street in Kenilworth but is fully modernised. The stairs to the rooms are very narrow and steep and might not suit all but is to be expected in an older building. Reception was friendly and efficient. The room was small but cosy and comfortable. The en-suite was basic, the sink was cracked but everything worked and there was a good range of toiletries provided.

We ate our evening meal in the Loch Fyne restaurant on the ground floor. The service was friendly and attentive, although I had some trouble hearing the waiter due to music playing through a nearby speaker. We ordered Whitebait and Bradan Rost Smoked Salmon for starters. The Whitebait was unusual as it was not heavily coated and crispy. The Smoked Salmon was served with salad and a horseradish dressing and was delicious. The wine was excellent (recommended by the waiter). Our main courses were Moules Marinieres and Goan Fish Curry with Monkfish & Prawns. Both very enjoyable. For desert we had Apple Tart Tatin and Chocolate Orange Tarte. The Apple Tart was scrummy, the Chocolate Tarte was fantastic.

The following morning we had breakfast, again in the Loch Fyne restaurant. We were greeted in a friendly manner and breakfast was explained. We had scrambled eggs with smoked salmon which was a great start to the day. Unfortunately there was a lack of attention to detail in the buffet area, cups and glasses had to be asked for and plates were dirty.

I would definitely visit again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple