“Different, but not in a good way.”
Review of Rasa - CLOSED

Rasa
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stumbled upon this restaurant on our way to Vujon and decided to give it a try instead. It was early evening on Sunday 17 February, but it wasn’t busy. The restaurant manager explained the food was from South West India and was different to that of usual Indian food. He was helpful in explaining the menu and recommending dishes.

Unfortunately, our choice of wine (South African Shiraz) was out-of-stock, so instead, we were offered the Australian House (£12); (it’s only 6,000 miles away). We passed on the pre meal selection of crispy snacks (£3.50) and pickle tray (£3.00) which were waiting to be served on the bar top. £3.00 for a pickle tray seems on the pricey side.

We both opted for the Chicken Cutlets starter (£4.75) Three breadcrumb covered deep fried parcels arrived with a small, if untidy, side salad and serving of sweet onion ratia (which was very pink in colour, actually, artificially too pink). The cutlets, if they can be called that, were nicely spiced with the potato, but there was no sign or taste of any chicken. I’m sure we had been given a vegie version, so that was disappointing.

For mains, with the help / recommendation of the Manager, we opted for the Lamb Stew (£7.50) and Lamb Curry (£8.50) with Tomato Pilau (£3.25) and Plain (£3.00) rice. The lamb in both dishes was the small pellet portion type, usually found in budget Indian restaurants. My stew was ok, nicely spiced, but let down by the quality of the lamb. My tomato pilau was also missing the cashew nuts. My partners lamb curry was very sweet with the coconut milk and had lots of potatoes. My partner didn’t enjoy the sweet sauce and there were too many potatoes / vegetables to go with the pellet lamb, which was very dry and poor for this type of eatery. We also had a Malabar Paratha bread (£2.75), which turned out to be a small layered dough bread which was poorly made and poor value.

Throughout all of this, we were seated next to the bar and the bar manager, who, whilst very polite, kept talking to us. We were out as a couple, to enjoy our own company, not his. On the final bill, they also added a 12.5% service charge too, which is a bit cheeky. All in, this is a restaurant we tried but wouldn’t return to. We thought the service was good, but the food is poor and expensive for the quality served. An opportunity missed. We will pass next time.

1  Thank Mr-Shing-A-Ling

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Went with the family last week, and the food was really good, hot, tasty and very good valuable, although the menu choice is not a huge one, the staff are great at recommending what goes with what. We all had something different and everyone enjoyed their choices. Prompt efficient service. The only down side was that the place was a little disappointing, ie;the decor, immaculately clean and very clean table wear, I am fussy in that respect and they have a 5 in the food inspection department, which means clean kitchens. I just thought the decor lacked a bit of something, but putting that aside as the food is the most important, a great place to eat.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Being from Kerala, I can assure that the food is definitely as tasty as what we get in Kerala.
If you are new to Kerala dishes, try the lunch they provide- you won't be disappointed.
If you want a light snack, go for Masala Dosa. The chutney they give is authentic. Have Payasam as dessert- and believe me, Indian food is heavenly!

1  Thank Anjana P
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I have been here threee times now and would happily return.
The staff are always very friendly and the food is supurb.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Last night was our second visit to Rasa and we were wowed for the second time.

The food is distinctly different to any other Indian restaurants I have dined at, and for me different for the better. Both times myself and my partner have visited Rasa we have ordered the Rasa Banquet, this allows you to taste a wide range of south indian dishes all freshly cooked brought to your table. With the stand out king fish curry, which I implore anyone to try. Both times we have visited the staff have made us aware that if there is anything at all we would like more of just to ask and they will oblige and this is at no extra charge to the banquet meal.

The staff at Rasa are exceptional, both times we visited they offered to explain exactly what makes up each dish, and what part of which dish goes best with which side or dip. Also being 2 men going out for a meal as a couple we never generally are given much attention in most restaurants and are sidelined as a couple of lads wanting some grub after being on the drink. Rasa make the experience feel like a meal for a couple and in our experience the places that give us that attention are few and far between.

One point to be aware of before you visit Rasa is that you will be charged a service charge even as a table of two, this being quite unusual for restaurants in Newcastle. This in my opinion is well deserved by the staff at Rasa and I would of happily left a tip of equivalent value if there was no service charge.

A banquet meal for 2 along with 2 large (660ml) bottles of cobra and the service charge comes in at about £65.

We will definitely be regular customers of Rasa and look forward to our next visit.