“Take it for what it is !”
Review of The Pack Horse

The Pack Horse
Ranked #278 of 1,279 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Take it for what it is !”
Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

We have been to the Pack Horse a few times both for lunch and dinner. The food is good value ,the choice is large,if you have a problem the staff do their utmost to rectify it.On our last visit we both had steak ,mine rare my partners well done, both came perfectly cooked.
One last thing,the staff are excellent in my experience especially the barman who on our visit was friendly efficient and knowledgeable about the real ale,very important!
For the money you can't knock it.

“Nice local for a drink but avoid food at all costs!”
Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Yet another example of a once lovely country pub which has fallen victim to the chains. It's fine for a drink..don't bother eating there though

Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at The Pack Horse, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear Hood84,

Thank you for your recent review, we have passed your comments onto our management team so they can be discussed at the next pub review.

Regards
Flaming Grill
Durham
“Disappointing”
Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

Visites here a few days ago after driving past on numerous occasions as it always looks busy. I ordered a mixed grill to which I was told I had to have my steak well done unless I wanted to upgrade to king size (which I didn't) so made do with well done. My boyfriend ordered an inferno burger. I was really disappointed when the meal arrived - everything was overlooked including the steak (obviously). My partners burger was bland an far from spicy and arrived 10 minutes after my meal. We didn't complain as the waiting staff seemed inundated with complaints from tables surrounding us so we paid and left. I can say that the nicest part of the meal was the red wine at nearly £5.00 for a large glass. I also felt sorry for the waiting staff as they were helpful but obviously the food let the place down...not the waiting staff.

We won't be returning in afraid.

durham
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“First and last time”
Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

Had heard good things about the food but I had an inferno burger which for something called an inferno was really bland. My girlfriend had a mixed grill and everything on it was over cooked and salty. We were sat next to two other occupied tables and we could over hear them complaint about there food as well.
I would avoid this place until they sort out these problems.

“Oh dear...”
Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

Been here many times over the years and was one of my favourite pubs for good food... Went last night though with family and it's been rebranded... Fast food now, and not very good at that. Basic.
Service very good, but really not what it used to be... If you want burgers, ribs, and chicken then you'll be happy.... If you want good pub grub go some where else

Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at The Pack Horse, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear Paul D,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience and have passed your feedback to our management team for investigation.

We have also sent you a direct message to discuss your comments further.

Regards