“Traditional Fayre”

The Latifs
Ranked #794 of 1,261 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
North East England, United Kingdom
“Traditional Fayre”
Reviewed October 24, 2011

We visited on a Sunday evening and, for the best part of our stay, were the only customers and outnumbered at least 2 - 1 by staff!

It's an old fashioned type of curry house with a traditional menu and quite opulent decor which made me feel a little scruffy in my trainers!

We went on a Groupon deal, so I'm not sure if the meal was representative of the usual fayre - portion size was a little small but the food flavoursome and our waiter was attentive without being overpowering.

We only had soft drinks which were in line with prices in other restaurants.

There did appear to be quite a few people collecting takeaways - we picked up a takeway menu on leaving and noted that the meals were much cheaper than the sit-in menu so this may explain how they continue in business.

I'd certainly be tempted back on an offer but individual items on the regular menu appeared rather expensive.

• Visited October 2011

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Excellent value”
Reviewed June 14, 2011

I can never understand why this restaurant is usually half empty. I can never understand how they can afford to employ so many staff or keep the quality first class because of a lack of customers.
This restaurant deserves to be full every night.
The food is fabulous, the service is second to none, the surroundings are fabulous and the price is really cheap.

• Visited August 2010
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Good Old Fashioned Curry House”
Reviewed February 15, 2011

Latifs has become a regular haunt for me. It's an old fashioned type of curry house amidst more and more modern and authentic Indian restaurants, but when I feel like a good, straightforward curry Latif's is where I head.

As well as all the traditional choices, there are some very good Latif curry's on the menu. All the food is exactly what you expect from a curry house.

It's always a bit on the quiet side and I think seen busier times. Decor is decent enough and service is fine. My only compliant is the bill is always more than I'd expect from this type of restaurant. Drinks are very expensive.

• Visited February 2011
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Nice food but appalling...”
Reviewed January 30, 2008

Nice food but appalling service last time I went here

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Cheap and cheerful, fab...”
Reviewed January 5, 2008

Cheap and cheerful, fab for a cheap curry

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook