“Sushi, sushi, sushi”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of St. Sushi

St. Sushi
Ranked #165 of 1,253 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Sushi, sushi, sushi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Had dinner here with friends and i thought it was gorgeous, sushi was lovely and i also tried the seafood noodles. All of it was amazing, the service was attentive and the atmosphere was nice and chilled.
I will definarly be returning.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice food, but bad service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

We've been to St. Sushi many times before, and have always left feeling full of good food, and happy with the great service. Our last visit, however, has left us a little more disappointed...

Firstly, the food was still great, up to its usual standards and very delicious. The service though, was not.

There were 9 of us visiting, including me and my wife. We took our turns at ordering, myself ordering five items from the menu (not unheard of for a sushi restaurant) and waited patiently. My soup never arrived, although everything else did. I kept quiet assuming it may appear at the end.

When it came to get the bill, the missing soup had been charged for. No matter, I simply queried the waitress, and she apologised and removed it thusly. However, the 10% service charge that had been tacked on the end was not. This is not something we are accustomed to in the north-east, especially not in a small independent sushi restaurant. Normally I will tip at least that when I leave, but I still prefer the courtesy of thinking of it as optional, not having it cheekily applied to the end of the bill.

We had to all pay separately, some with cards and some with cash. The minimum card payment was apparently £15, although we couldn't find that displayed anywhere. We all divided up the pill, paid our separate amounts and got the change. We had overpaid by at least £15, but seemingly deserved only a measly £2.50 in change. We were outraged to say the least, considering the service charge and missing items, and left abruptly.

So, in summary: still nice food, but the service seems to have slipped a long way. We won't be going back in a hurry.

1 Thank Jamie H
Buckinghamshire
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing service, amazing sushi.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

Have been here more times than I can count, every visit brings the same high quality food and service with a smile. Staff are attentive but not pushy or rushed. The butteryaki salmon bento box is incredible and the platters of their best collections are brilliant too. Drinks are a tiny bit on the pricey side but the quality and quantity of the food more than makes up for it. Brilliant range and overall value - they never let you down!

Gosforth
“Fab Sushi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

Been there three times now. Best place we have found in Newcastle for Japanese food! Excellent service and the kids love it! It'll be years before we have tried everything on the menu!

• Visited February 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Found it at last”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I've spent almost 2 years trying to find an Asian restaurant in Newcastle that didn't either just sell buckets of English banquet food, or rubbery flavourless noodles. St Sushi is my salvation. A great range of Japanese food, with reasonably priced Bento and tasty gyoza. I'm no expert on Japanese food but the Sushi seemed fresh and tasty, and the cooked food was also full of flavour. I'm a sucker for a gimmick and I loved the 'dancing fish' Katsuobushi on the noodles.

They have a nice range of Japanese beers including Asahi and Kirin, although both of these are expensive. Service is very polite, although there were some issues with the accuracy of the order taking leading to a couple of dishes being missed - I would recommend carefully checking that they have the order correct.

Visited May 2013