“Absolutely fantastic contemporary Indian cuisine.”
Review of Cafe Bangla - CLOSED

Cafe Bangla
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Indian takeaway collections and home delivery service
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Absolutely fantastic contemporary Indian cuisine.”
Reviewed January 13, 2012

My partner and myself visit Indian and Indian style restaurants regularly. We never ever comment on bad service unless it is absolutely atrocious. After all, what we don't like may not bother other punters. I do however, like to recommend and report on what we believe is exceptional food or service. Bangla is one such establishment.

Ali Hussein, the owner/head chef has a CV which sets him out from the rest. Visit the restaurant and look at his awards. He also took time out from the kitchen to speak with us at length about our food and the restaurant in general. His is clearly very passionate about his cooking and that shows when you receive your food. We overhead the woman on the table next to us comment that nothing leaves the kitchen until he has personally examined the dish... Good news for us diners!

Both our starters and mains were faultless. My main - the signature 'Haribali' chicken and spinach was superb and like nothing I have ever had before. Anyone visiting is well advised to try it. Bangla also refuse to sell those horrendous bought-in desserts such as ice cream in plastic penguins (Indian restaurants really need to review this policy). A range of traditional desserts including the now rare 'banana fritter, which I chose, are on offer and cooked fresh. Good news for those of you with a sweet tooth like mine.

This is a small, cosy place with a trendy, welcoming feel. First and foremost, the food is truly fantastic and anyone in the North East should really make the effort to visit this hidden gem. An original, modern and sensibly priced menu, good wines (the French 'house' red is incredibly smooth and great with curry), the friendly staff and the proximity to The Metro make is a great choice every time. 11 out of 10!

• Visited January 2012

North East UK
“Husband loved it....”
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I wasn't so keen.

Very friendly staff, nice atmosphere, always busy and highly recommended by everyone we know. I just haven't enjoyed two meals here. Too much coriander (hate it!).

My husband is more 'into' curries than I, and he thought the food was fab, so I've rated it 4 out of 5, as he knows more than I!

• Visited September 2011
Durham, United Kingdom
“An Indian revelation!”
Reviewed December 16, 2011

The outside of the restaurant does not do justice to the excellent cuisine that is served within. The decor is contemporary and uncluttered but the real star is the food.

The chef came out to talk us through the menu and ended up 'inventing' a dish for one of the vegetarians in the party having talked through his food likes & dislikes and which was (I'm told!) delicious; he then recommended other dishes and offered to tone down and spice up other menu items so they were exactly to our liking. I must especially recommend the Bollywood King Prawns which were superb. The rice was perfectly cooked individual grains and the naans fresh and full of filling! It is no wonder that the chef has won awards for his cooking, which the restaurant displays understandably proudly.

It is not a large restaurant so booking is probably preferable but I would definitely recommend a visit. We most certainly will be going back!

• Visited December 2011
“My favourite resturant and best ever dining experience - each and every time!”
Reviewed December 9, 2011

Ive been meaning to write this review for a long time, infact ever since I started visiting over a year and a half ago - so I'm sorry it's taken so long to get round to it!!

When I say Cafe Bangla is the best - I mean it, I've eaten in indian restaurants both here and in India - and for quality, innovation, presentation, taste, service and atmosphere this is the best I have experienced and we feel so lucky it it right on our doorstep!

In fact, before we came here I would never choose Indian food first (always go for Chinese or Italian) and would always stick to the same safe options on the menu. Not any more! The variety on Cafe Bangla's menu means I have tried more dishes than ever before and I am always confident that I will like something new and that Chef Ali will cook my chosen dish to suit my (sometimes wimpish) palate. Its the kind of place you go where you get excited about reading the menu and trying something fantastic each time you visit.

Now I could go on forever but I must say a word about the service. Every time we visit we are greeted by Ali and his staff like old friends and throughout the meal they check we are happy and have everything we need. There's not many places where the people actually care about the service they give but Cafe Bangla and it's staff take pride in it. Yes, sometimes they get busy, but that's because it's so popular! And the intention is always there to look after the customer. Both Ali and his staff will take time to talk to the guests at every table and make them feel very special

Cafe Bangla is a great place to go for a night out (or even a take away, quality of this is excellent also!). To those who haven't been before and don't know the area, there's parking right outside the door, and if you haven't got the car there's a metro stop and a couple of pubs within walking distance.

Whatever your previous Indian dining experience, this is one you should definitely try - you WILL love it! There's something for everyone and it's no surprise to me they have won so many awards - well deserved!!!

Thanks Cafe Bangla, we will see you soon :-)

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent food, pleasant staff”
Reviewed November 8, 2011

I was very impressed with this restaurant I visited with a group of colleagues. I hadn't heard of it, but he chef has just won an award for top curry chef of 2012.
Small restaurant, in a quiet area, staff helpful and keen to point out that the cuisine is Bangladeshi and Indian..
Had a variety of dishes which were excellent and varied from mild hotness to hot.
Prices pretty reasonable considering standard of the food.
If you like a good curry then worth a try.

• Visited November 2011