“Disappointing :-(” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pani's Cafe Bar

Pani's Cafe Bar
Cuisines: Italian, Cafe, Mediterranean
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Pani's Café opened January 1995 and run by a family of brothers and sisters. It was one of the first Italian style café in Newcastle. As authentically Italian as you can get without actually going to Italy. In Pani's Café you can find a different menu for day and night and a constantly updated special board. We offer you the chance to experience Italian home cooked food and to savour an authentic Italian coffee in a convivial atmosphere. A little piece of Italy in the heart of a beautiful city!!!
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Disappointing :-(”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

My husband and I recently dined here for the second time for my birthday and were very disappointed. First time we dined here we were quite pleased with the food but the service left a lot to be desired. We decided to dine out or my birthday at short notice and as our chosen restaurant was fully booked we decided to give Panis another chance.

I think the type of service you receive here depends entirely on whether you are known to the staff or not, some customers were greeted very warmly, others (including us) were barely spoken to the entire time.

After a few minutes of waiting, we were asked to sit while they sorted out a table, a ouple came in after us and was promptly seated before us in the back area of the restaurant, the waiter offered a half hearted apology and said he was confused, after a few more minutes they sat us at our table (which turned out to be the table behind the one we were waiting at.) in the front of the restaurant, near the exit/entrance. The front of the restaurant seems to have no ambiance and is quite chilly as people enter and leave the restaurant.

The food:
The prices are fairly cheap, however you get what you pay for.
My husband ordered prawns to start, they were just ok, they were small and could have been hotter. I ordered bruschetta with chargrilled vegetables which was almost in edible, the veggies tasted like they had been soaked in alcohol so I could only eat the bread and cheese, total waste f money. (I should mention the starter I had here last time was the fish soup which was very pleasant.)
We both ordered steak and chips for mains, steak was quite nice, chips tasted like generic frozen chips, again not worth the money.
Overall, it was disappointing and we won't be returning, mainly due to the service.

• Visited January 2013

• Polish first
Cramlington, United Kingdom
“Food excellent but service let it down”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Booked for 2 people at 7pm on a Friday night - waited at bar for about 15 minutes after being told to wait a minute until we were again acknowledged and seated.

Food was delicious. I had the chicken lello which I would recommend. The atmosphere was busy and buzzing.

However too many things let me down - the service was slow and waiters were impersonal and ignorant - it's the sort of place where they always look busy but actually aren't. Nobody asks you how your food is/gives you recommendations/asks you if you'd like more drinks. Seems like waiters are only there to clear plates. We had to ask twice for the bill.

Although the food was lovely, There are nicer Italians in the North east that I would choose to fine at before here.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sam_Rickelton
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“a restaurant of contrasts”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

Odd inconsistent place this, a mixture of the very good and very bad. Sometimes the waiters are friendly and attentive, other times not, and this dosen't seem to be dependent on how busy it is. The ventilation is terrible and the back of the restaurant is very stuffy, but the front is much better. The menu is looking a little tired and I've had some poor pasta dishes and indifferent wines, but I keep coming back because the Minestrone soup is great, the Chicken Lello main course is one of my all-time favourite dishes and the restaurant is just across the road from the Duke of Wellington, which usually has some very good ales.

North West
“Mixed food and services”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

Very traditional italian cafe bar. Some waiting staff very warm and attentive, some chuck the food at you.
My wife had the Vegetarian Lasagne. It melted in the mouth and was hoty and wholesome, really amazing quality dish. I had Veggie Ravioli, it was greasy and very tasteless, the pasta was fresh though. It appears that other diners had the same some great dishes, some ordinary ones.
There is wide range of dishes to choose from.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mmm7levels
Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England
“Good place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

We have eaten at Panis for years. In some respects it is good to have a consistent menu but some change might be a good thing. We had a selection of starters and mains, accompanied by the house red, and all were perfectly acceptable. The atmosphere was good and the service as always delightful. It was just an over-sense of déjà vu.