“Food excellent but service let it down”
Review of Pani's Cafe Bar

Pani's Cafe Bar
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Pani's Café opened January 1995 and run by a family of brothers and sisters. It was one of the first Italian style café in Newcastle. As authentically Italian as you can get without actually going to Italy. In Pani's Café you can find a different menu for day and night and a constantly updated special board. We offer you the chance to experience Italian home cooked food and to savour an authentic Italian coffee in a convivial atmosphere. A little piece of Italy in the heart of a beautiful city!!!
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Booked for 2 people at 7pm on a Friday night - waited at bar for about 15 minutes after being told to wait a minute until we were again acknowledged and seated.

Food was delicious. I had the chicken lello which I would recommend. The atmosphere was busy and buzzing.

However too many things let me down - the service was slow and waiters were impersonal and ignorant - it's the sort of place where they always look busy but actually aren't. Nobody asks you how your food is/gives you recommendations/asks you if you'd like more drinks. Seems like waiters are only there to clear plates. We had to ask twice for the bill.

Although the food was lovely, There are nicer Italians in the North east that I would choose to fine at before here.

1  Thank Sam_Rickelton

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Odd inconsistent place this, a mixture of the very good and very bad. Sometimes the waiters are friendly and attentive, other times not, and this dosen't seem to be dependent on how busy it is. The ventilation is terrible and the back of the restaurant is very stuffy, but the front is much better. The menu is looking a little tired and I've had some poor pasta dishes and indifferent wines, but I keep coming back because the Minestrone soup is great, the Chicken Lello main course is one of my all-time favourite dishes and the restaurant is just across the road from the Duke of Wellington, which usually has some very good ales.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Very traditional italian cafe bar. Some waiting staff very warm and attentive, some chuck the food at you.
My wife had the Vegetarian Lasagne. It melted in the mouth and was hoty and wholesome, really amazing quality dish. I had Veggie Ravioli, it was greasy and very tasteless, the pasta was fresh though. It appears that other diners had the same some great dishes, some ordinary ones.
There is wide range of dishes to choose from.

1  Thank mmm7levels
Reviewed December 25, 2012

We have eaten at Panis for years. In some respects it is good to have a consistent menu but some change might be a good thing. We had a selection of starters and mains, accompanied by the house red, and all were perfectly acceptable. The atmosphere was good and the service as always delightful. It was just an over-sense of déjà vu.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

I have eaten in this restaurant a few times now, usually before a theatre visit as it is very near the Theatre Royal.

It offers Italian cuisine and there is usually a 'specials' board with dishes that are not on the main menu. The main restaurant is below ground level, so there is only artificial light and the décor is somewhat eccentric.

In the past, we have been quite happy with our visits, but this time, we found it a little disappointing. We started with toasted cheese ciabatta which tasted fine, but could have been rather warmer. I ordered penne bolognese as a main course. The pasta was rather undercooked for my taste, but the bolognese sauce was fine.

The service was fairly speedy, though rather impersonal. Overall, OK, but not outstanding.