“Disappointing!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Pani's Cafe Bar

Pani's Cafe Bar
Cuisines: Italian, Cafe, Mediterranean
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Pani's Café opened January 1995 and run by a family of brothers and sisters. It was one of the first Italian style café in Newcastle. As authentically Italian as you can get without actually going to Italy. In Pani's Café you can find a different menu for day and night and a constantly updated special board. We offer you the chance to experience Italian home cooked food and to savour an authentic Italian coffee in a convivial atmosphere. A little piece of Italy in the heart of a beautiful city!!!
“Disappointing!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

I'd been recommended this place by loads of people, and had been before for coffee and snacks which was nice, but when it came to having a sit down meal I was really disappointed!

I ordered pasta with smoked salmon, but it was really something I could have made myself at home in a few minutes without paying £7 for the privilege. There was hardly any salmon (in fact most of the dish was made up of reheated frozen peas and pasta) and the food came in about 2 minutes which I suspect is about how long it took to microwave.

The staff made no effort to hide the fact that they were just trying to get us in and out as quickly as possible to free the table, and the juice (this is a particular pet hate of mine!) was not only not fresh, but one of the ones with added sugar and "vitimines" which make it taste fake and processed.

My friend's food was better but still nothing special, and in general the experience wasn't great. I won't be back.

• Polish first
“Top drawer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

I've been coming here for years now and it's always great service and even better food. They've began opening on an evening now, and again it's top notch and in line with their daytime standards.
The staff are always attentive and friendly, especially with kids in tow which is nice.
Full of Guardian readers though, being 'seen'. Hey ho you can't have it all.

2 Thank Grant357
Hope Valley, Derbyshire, UK
“Good food and great atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

Went for an early dinner yesterday. Place was already full and buzzing- so pleased we booked. Service was first class, friendly and efficient. We had 3 different meals and 3 different desserts and all were excellent. Wine was good and not expensive by restaurant standards.
The best thing I could say is that I I'll defo go again when next in he Toon.

1 Thank GCH059
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Great value and excellent quality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

I had be meaning to go here for a while after a friend recommended it a couple of years back. Finally got round to it this year and wasn't disappointed! The atmosphere inside was bustling, but although the tables were quite close together, we never really felt like we were on top of everyone else.

Both my husband and I opted for the ravioli off the specials board and it was very tasty and really good value. It was investing to note how familiar the staff were with a lot of the customers. They obviously have a loyal fan base who have been coming here for years. To me, this is a sign of a consistently good restaurant which is a rarity in this age of one minute wonders.

Popped in a few weeks later for a sandwich and it was just a nice. Highly recommend this place!

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank rachel s
Manchester, United Kingdom
“very impressed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

I was alone in Newcastle on a trip. It's not always easy to settle alone into a restaurant, but I was made to feel welcome one weekday night. I chose three starters, and it was very plentiful and delicious. I chose vegetarian options, of which there were plenty and there was a tasty authenticity about it. Also had a delicious banana juice to drink and was served speedily by charming young staff.

2 Thank neil r