“Actually better than my Punjabi Mum's cooking”
Review of Sachins Restaurant

Sachins Restaurant
Ranked #105 of 1,330 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 30, 2009

We stumbled across this restaurant by accident on a short city break and what a pleasant surprise. The welcome was fantastic and the food was second to none. Having eaten at too many Indian restaurants to count both here and in India and being Punjabi myself I can certainly say it was one of the best meals I have had (but don't tell my Mum) MUM'S THE WORD so they say!

Reviewed July 13, 2009

We had our meal on a Saturday lunchtime. Asked for some advice as I wanted to try their special dishes. The recommendations were superb with lots of flavour and not to hot. We both like a really hot curry and this was a refreshing change. I would recommend
you make a resevation unless you want to eat at lunch time or you may be dissappointed .

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed February 2, 2009

Good Indian, a cut above I would say

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed September 14, 2008

I don't know what it is about the North East and food. There are hundreds of restaurants to choose from but few that offer anything more than mediocrity. Sachins is one of the rare exceptions to the rule thanks to its use of good quality ingredients and, rarely for the average Indian restaurant, avoidance of shop bought sauces and pastes.

Having honed my curry genes in the hallowed spice grounds of Bradford I am a touch choosy when it comes to Britains favourite food. Large menus full of bland repetitive dishes are enough to send me running before I even dip my spoon in a pot of lime pickle. Sachins successfully avoids all the cliches and provides a compact menu with a range of differently spiced dishes.

Stand out starters include a wide range of pakora coated in a crunchy fresh batter rather than the spongey microwave mush that is often found in this favourite. The mixed grill is full of flavour and freshness and gives the first hint that Sachins is all about loads of different flavours that fit together perfectly.

Mains display the same themes each dish demonstrating different spicing that match the main ingredient. The Keema Mutter stands out as one of the best although all others, including a range of different lamb dishes, were no less than good. Strangely for an Indian restaurant, veggy dishes were probably the weakpoint and my only disappointments came in response to creamy lentils and a potato curry that simply had too much sauce and not enough spud.

Were it in Bradford it would be run of the mill, however, in the spiceless outpost of Newcastle it stands out. Its pricey for curry, with an average meal and a couple of beers coming in at around £25 per head, which did feel a bit on the cheeky side. Still, you have to remember that Sachins suffers from something all businesses would love, a total lack of decent competition.

3  Thank norrisbeak
Reviewed July 28, 2008

After all the hype, this was a huge disappointment. Although we were at our booked table by 7.40pm, it was 9.15 before main courses arrived. Our table (for 8) was tucked under a spiral staircase and it was almost impossible to get the attention of staff to order more drinks. Those sitting at the furthest end were completely ignored.

Then the food - overpriced, cold, very little meat in a chicken biryani. We complained and were offered some free drinks but a discount on the bill would have been more appropriate. Would never go again.

2  Thank dottie07