“Great personal service and good food”

Restaurant at Horton Grange
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant at Horton Grange is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #299 of 1,261 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: This elegant restaurant is located in the award-winning Horton Grange County House Hotel in Tyne and Wear, situated on the picturesque Blagdon Estate and surrounded by three acres of lush gardens. Newly refurbished, the Horton Grange restaurant is a light and airy room which enjoys views of the grounds. Proximity to Ponteland and the Newcastle International Airport makes it ideal for working lunches and weekend escapes from busy schedules. The Horton Grange's modern European menu features favourites such as the terrine of local venison, pistachio and Parma ham served with a Pimento chutney; salad of local crab with Gazpachio dressing and caviar; and the slow-cooked shoulder of lamb served with crispy pancetta, roast garlic and goat's cheese mash.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Great personal service and good food”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We found the staff here friendly and attentive.
The living room was lovely, and the gardens were very inviting. The dining room is not decorated quite in keeping with the rest of the hotel, which was a shame.
The food was good, but the side choices and flavours were not quite as good as they could have been. The champagne was delicious - we would be curious to know which it is, because we'd love to get it again. The starter was the highlight however, a salmon risotto. We had the duck and the lamb and shared both. Well cooked, but as I say, the sides could have been better. Couscous and casoulet were not quite what we were craving. The cheese boards were good.

• Visited April 2013

Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Delicious”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We loved the setting of the hotel, the food in the restaurant was amazing.

The staff were friendly, I have stayed both in the hotel & in the garden rooms, both lovely and clean & comfortable.

If you ring up at the last minute and they have availability they will do you a good discount., Last time I paid £100 for two people Dinner Bed & Breakfast. I spent approx £60 on drink.

Visited October 2012
Bebside
“1st time but won't be the last”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

we visited the restaurant for lunch a couple of weeks ago with 2 senior friends who had been many time's. We were met in the hall by a very curtious attendent and shown into the living room were upon we were asked which drinks we would like as well as given the menu's, nothing was rushed and after being shown to our table the attendent could not do enough for us, we had the 3 course lunch and both my wife and I could not fault the food, atmosphere or service.
We will be soon taking family members back for lunch.

• Visited February 2013
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“A lovely quiet lunch, quality food and fantastic service”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Just back from lunch at Horton Grange restaurant. It was very quiet but that's how we like it. We were served by a lovely waitress called Annie who was just the right side of attentive. She must have had sixth sense as she always knew when to attend the table. I had fish cakes with dauphinois potatoes and my partner had rump steak with bernaise sauce and fat chips. The salmon fish cakes were lush the tartare sauce was lovely too and the potatoes were excellent. My partners steak was very nice he said. The only point he would have preferred his bernaise sauce on the side in a little jug or pot so he could decide how much to have. For pud I had rhubarb Eton mess and my partner had banana pudding with toffee sauce. Both plates went back completely clean which is always a good sign. I would suggest that Horton Grange promotes itself more as we live about three miles a way and had no idea it was there. Dress code is smart casual, jeans are fine. Price wise lunch was just under £50 which was reasonable for the quality of the food.
Definitely worth a visit.

• Visited March 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Average food at expensive prices.”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We went to Horton Grange for our Christmas lunch, although we had not been before we trusted that the high price would reflect a high quality of food on the day.

First impressions were that it was a lovely place, we were greeted warmly by staff and taken through for canapés and a champagne cocktail. When we chose our wine they stated that they had run out and suggested an alternative - which I trusted in a place like that would be similar and equally nice. We were then taken through to the dining room and the wine was at our table, a nice touch. However, we tasted it and got a shock. I had ordered a new world dry wine, the replacement wine they had given us was a European sweet wine which I would not have paid £4 for in a shop - nevermind the £25 price tag. By that time we had made the schoolboy error of pouring it out before tasting it so could not send it back.

We decided to put that one down to experience and give the place another try when the food came out. However, the first and second courses were badly presented and underwhelming. We had come expecting haute cuisine with care put into the dishes but what we received was rushed food with average taste and the ingredients did not taste of high quality either. The saving grace was the puddings which were excellent. Immediately after finishing our puddings we were asked if we wanted tea and coffee - after we had poured ours, someone walked past and took our sugar pot off our table and I watched them take it straight to another, which did make me laugh.

Maybe you could say we were being snobby - but for almost £100 a head, not including any drinks and a hefty 10% gratuity added to the bill as standard - I would argue that you have ample reason to be. It seemed that the hotel wanted to make a quick buck out of the day and as much profit as possible, which is a shame as if it had been better quality we would have gone back time after time. The one thing I would say was that the staff were always courteous, polite and accommodating, and we did overhear other guests that were happy with their experience - so perhaps we were the exception to the rule. However, I would recommend that if you want outstanding food within an hour of Newcastle, you head to Eshott Hall.

• Visited December 2012