“a two day 40th anniversary weekend here”

The Restaurant at Jesmond Dene House
Ranked #123 of 1,267 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Matthew Bank
Transit: Ilford Road
Description: Our award-winning Restaurant (three AA Rosettes) is based on simple but firm principles. We start with the best ingredients we can find, preferably local (some from the hotel garden), and we believe taste is more important than style. Our Head Chef, Michael Penaluna, and his team, make it their business to get to know our suppliers, then use their skills to produce dishes that enhance rather than confuse the flavours. Classic techniques but a contemporary approach to produce Modern British dishes that are light, fresh, flavoursome. Whether you fancy our breakfast which is bigger, tastier and healthier than ever, great value Lunch Menu, House Menu Dinner Menu, you'll find an atmosphere that's warm, relaxed and friendly. Our Restaurant has two dining areas: the former music room with earthy tones and fun splashes or orange and the light and leafy Garden Room with its summer terrace.
Gateshead, United Kingdom
“a two day 40th anniversary weekend here”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

upgraded to a suite in the new house after the original room i the old house became unavailable.
It was nice but the person who had designed it had not considered the placement of the lighting either natural or electric in relation to the furniture consequently the two settees could not be used for sitting and reading on. This was partially resolved by the appearance of another standard lamp but the cable could have done with being twice as long to be perfect from the nearest plug socket.
As for the rest the walk in shower stroke wet room bathroom wit underfloor heating was lovely.
The bed was firm, there were plenty of good pillows, the desk, work, makeup area wa situated next to the door into the room and therefore a trifle cramped but acceptable as all internet and power sockets were at desk level.
Overall I would score the room as an 8 out of 10.
The food we had an evening meal on arrival and a private family Sunday lunch for 12 with 3 children and two breakfasts, we did not have a 2nd evening meal as the portions were so generous and we did not finish our Sunday lunch until 4 p.m. that an evening meal on that day would have been too much.
All of the meals we had were excellently cooked and served our first evening meal slow cooked venison and steak were cooked to perfection so that the meat almost melted in your mouth and the sweets were to die for and so light to eat, this coupled with the small tasters of soup and pallet cleansing sorbet before the sweet were enough to fill one comfortably.
There is one to a person who is not used to it slightly of putting circumstance to their service, and that is that you sit in one of the two lounges known as the bar and the snooker room, choose your food from the menu and are not sat in the restaurant until your starter is ready to be served which can be as long as 30 -40 mins though this was not explained to us and we were left with a feeling of not being attended to a 6:30 restaurant booking resulted not actually being sat in the restaurant until nearly 7:30p.m.
I did not realize that this was their system until the Sunday lunch for the family and again it was nearly an hour before we were taken to our private dining room from being presented with our menus. However I could live with this when you are offered a choice of how you want your beef cooked for those who choose it from medium to well done and each being served individually and three good thick slices to go with everything else one would expect in a Sunday lunch, others in the party tried the pork option and one plate was a little to pink for them there was no problem it went back and was returned within ten minutes without being pink. So all in all a 10 out of 10 for a group meal that was also individual which I think you would struggle to find in a majority of Hotels.
Breakfast; on both occasions we had a traditional full English with items also available from the continental buffet table and champagne available as well though once again there was no big thing made of this and you could have missed it quite easily, but I was driving and am not a great lover of an often overrated, for me, item.
The only quibble I had with the hotels operation was the bill the Sunday lunch bill was presented and payed on the sunday but on the Monday morning they found that they had forgotten to charge for the room hire for the private dining room and the bill was so complicated for the girl on reception as it event had been booked through the events staff that this was unclear, However I cannot complement her enough in her handling of this and without argument, referring the whole matter to the events staff to sort out with my daughter who had made the booking and clearing us to leave without charge or argument.
Overall score for our two day weekend would be 4 and a half out of 5 only the two little quibbles preventing a 5 out of 5 score, but would recommend.
Ray-sunshine

• Visited February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Cumbria UK
“What a special treat :)”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I was taken to Jesmond Dene House by my daughter and her partner for afternoon tea to celebrate my birthday. As my daughter has recently moved to Jesmond, we were able to walk through the Dene to the hotel.

The building is beautiful, old and full of character, the staff are welcoming, warm and professional.

We were seated over looking the garden, in the conservatory. It is a lovely tranquil setting, the atmosphere and ambiance conducive to relaxing with my special family and still quiet enough to chat comfortably.

We ordered the champagne afternoon tea which consisted of a glass of champagne, as much tea and coffee as you wanted and a selection of exquisite eats. I have a rare but serious food allergy, my daughter had explained this when making the booking. The lovely waitress who served us was fully aware of this and even checked with me again before bringing our food. When it arrived, mine was on a separate stand, the bottom layer had a choice of finger sandwiches, the middle layer three delicious scones with pots of fresh preserves, clotted cream and butter and the top layer five exquisite cakes. It was apparent that some of mine were slightly different, this is because the chef has gone the extra mile and made them specially to cater for my allergy. Now that really is service.

We took two hours to savour, enjoy and chat, never feeling rushed or that they needed the table. I will certainly be returning and hope to visit in the spring when I will treat my daughter and partner to dinner in this wonderful hotel.

We wandered back through the Dene, a good way to digest our food and look at a wealth of wildlife, soon it will be a mass of spring flowers.

This was a special day and made more special so thank you to all the staff at Jesmond Dene House for your part in it.

• Visited February 2013
Newcastle
“Beautiful”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Booked for my husband's birthday. From the online booking to the food and wine it was perfect. The restaurant was very quiet and the only other diners were corporate so it lacked a little atmosphere but I'm sure on a busier night this wouldn't be the case.

• Visited January 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely Lunch”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

A bit late, but better than never... we had a very enjoyable lunch at Jesmond Dene House in December. Food was excellent. I hope the chef stays for a long time. He is outstanding. His food is more than just good. I was very pleased I followed his recommendation re-dessert. All four of us thoroughly enjoyed our meals. I felt I made the best choices, but hey.... so much of this is subjective. Service was fantastic all round. We felt very well-looked after. Thanks.

• Visited December 2012
Newcastle Upon-Tyne
“A perfect treat”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Jesmond Dene House's restaurant is definitely the place to go for a special occasion, this time we chose to visit for a 50th birthday. Upon arrival we were welcomed and seated in the lounge where we ordered drinks, food and had nibbles ( olives, pickled garlic etc). We were then seated at our table. The atmosphere of the place is wonderful and there are a few dining rooms to choose from, we chose the garden room. Dining here on a number of occasions, I have never experienced it being packed or noisy, this is because you are expected a long dining experience meaning they don't overbook. So you can expect a lovely, long and relaxed atmosphere. Whilst waiting for the starters we were offered bread and an amuse bouche which were delicious ( I would recommend choosing the black pudding bread as all the party thought this was exceptional). Starters came with top marks for presentation and taste. Favourites were the seafood soup and the pork belly with langoustines. Mains arrived after the right amount of time, not too early or too late, and again were truely astounding. The favourite among the group was the venison loin wrapped in pancetta - absolutely beautiful. When we'd finished mains we were treated to a little pre-dessert which was a nice touch. Most of us chose to order the chocolate sphere which was a treat for the eyes as well as the taste-buds. A final surprise was a little slate with 'happy birthday' and a selection of chocolates for the birthday boy (free of charge). I would like to compliment the staff too as they deliver great service, not obtrusive but on hand when you need something. Overall the food in this establishment is out of this world, so if you want to treat a loved one, especially if they are a food/wine lover, this is the place to go!

• Visited December 2012