“Good value if you're not in a hurry”

Brasserie and Bar at Malmaison - Newcastle
Ranked #205 of 1,271 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Sleek and seductive, Malmaison offers a daringly fashionable setting for sampling sumptuous flavours. Committed to serving the highest quality ingredients, Malmaison sources honest produce from treasured suppliers, and crafts a cutting-edge reinvention of favourite regional recipes. Offsetting the chic dining room, a cosmopolitan bar serves freshly shaken cocktails and an eclectic selection of smooth world wines.
Cramlington, United Kingdom
“Good value if you're not in a hurry”
Reviewed November 4, 2009

Myself and my husband visited the malmaison brasserie and bar to celebrate our wedding anniversary.

The bar:-

Is plush in style and there are plenty of little hideaways to sit with a drink. The drinks are accompanied with nibbles (olives and nuts) and are reasonably priced for a hotel bar (£6.95 for a mojito and £3.00 for a disarrano on the rocks). The service however is terrible and very slow. There is only actually one person behind the bar making drinks for the whole of the restaurant and bar so it took us 25 minutes from taking a seat to actually receiving our drink which is far too long really.

The restaurant:-

We ordered from the home grown and local menu and took advantage of a current promotion - £29 for 2 courses, a bottle of wine, coffee and chocolates for 2 people. For the quality of food this is excellent value for money.

As a pre-starter we ordered oysters which were served on ice and came with shallot vinegar, tobasco sauce and a wedge of lemon. I then selected cured salmon with pickled bean sprouts and balsamic dressing to start followed by a chicken casserole with herb dumplings and couldn't resist a winter berry crumble and custard to finish. All of the food was gorgeous.

What let the restaurant down is the terrible and slow service we received. It took us 3 hours to eat a meal that should have taken half of this time. It was an hour before we even received our starters. The waiters were never anywhere to be seen and only seemed interested in selling us extras - would we like any drinks other than our wine? would we like some table water? would we like bread? would we like sides? Errrrrr no we don't! If we'd wanted them we would have asked for them. All we wanted was for our food to come out of the kitchen. At the end of the night, our waiter got our bill wrong and tried to charge us for the wine that was actually part of the deal. This took about 10 minutes to rectify.

All in all, I would return to the malmaison brasserie as the food was lovely and proved excellent value for money. I will just make sure to allow 3 hours for the experience.

UK
“Avoid at all costs !!”
Reviewed September 11, 2009

Ate the three course special menu ;it turned out to be one of the worst meals in years !! Ham terrine starter was bland and more like luncheon meat,the main of pork steak was under cooked and was raw in the middle,the fish pie was so highly flavoured it was like inedible,it seemed as if the fish stock was boiled down to a concentrate and then poured over the fish;so bad two of us had to spit it out ! the desserts were okay though ! Not about it being a cheap menu but about the quality of the cooking being sent out from the kitchen.The booths in the area as you enter are so cold we had to go and get sweaters to stay warm.I really cannot recommend this restaurant to any one for an evening meal,breakfasts are good though !

Newtownards, United Kingdom
“a dark place”
Reviewed August 30, 2009

visited the bar for a pint, the decor is very very dark. deep purple carpet, black walls, bar etc. the red it it is barely noticable. to me seemed like a lot of matt black paint. could have been nicer decor, seemed tacky to me, but others may like it, service was very good though.

Newcastle
“Lovely as always”
Reviewed August 8, 2009

We dropped into the Brasserie for some dinner with my parents on Saturday just past and I’m happy to say we loved it. My fella and I got engaged while staying at Mal last year so it was a special treat for us. The décor is dark and moody so while you magnolia-fetishists might not be fussed, it’s a real haven for a pair of rockers like us ^^;

While the service was a mite on the slow side, this was to be expected as they were very busy – we weren’t in any rush though and the food was well worth the wait. I had the spring rolls to start, which come with possibly the most delicious sauce I’ve ever tasted, and the wild mushroom risotto which was gorgeous and really filled me up (which is always a bonus in modern/contemporary-type places). The menu has loads of choice and everyone else loved their food too (especially fiancé who had the Mal burger). The girl who served us was lovely, can’t remember her name but she was wearing glasses if that helps?

All in all it was a lovely night and very reasonably priced too. We’ll definitely be coming back!

Rotherham
“Newcastle Malmaison”
Reviewed November 27, 2008

I recently ate at Malmaison in Newcastle, and had a great evening! It was my Dad's 60th, so a big family gathering. The staff werw friendly, even put up with my (pregnant) sister's requests, and the food to die for. There really was something for everyone. Next time I visit Newcastle, will defo be back.