“Sunday brunch - No waffles, nice food, slow start”

Brasserie and Bar at Malmaison - Newcastle
Ranked #160 of 1,286 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Sleek and seductive, Malmaison offers a daringly fashionable setting for sampling sumptuous flavours. Committed to serving the highest quality ingredients, Malmaison sources honest produce from treasured suppliers, and crafts a cutting-edge reinvention of favourite regional recipes. Offsetting the chic dining room, a cosmopolitan bar serves freshly shaken cocktails and an eclectic selection of smooth world wines.
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

We booked for Sunday Brunch at noon. We were sent to the bar and no-one came to take us to our table. At 12.25 I asked if our table was ready yet and we were taken through.

We had a lovely waitress (blonde girl) who explained the Sunday Brunch concept to us and invited us to start with the chefs table buffet. Except the chef wasn't there so we had some meats, cheese and bread. This was all lovely. I really wanted a waffle as listed on the menu but they didn't have a waffle iron. Then when we asked for a pancake the hob wasn't actually plugged in and someone had to run round looking for an extension lead. Once they'd sorted that we were brought a thick but tasty syrup pancake.

As waffles weren't available the fried chicken came with chips, not fancying a kfc anyway, I ordered roast beef and husband ordered steak. Both meals were generous portions and very nice. For dessert we had the hot chocolate (ice cream and marshmallows topped with hot chocolate sauce) and the mal sundae (ice cream, brownies and sauce) but couldn't finish them. They were nice but also big portions and sickly.

Overall it was a good meal, a bit expensive to be a regular Sunday lunch but nice for a treat. Our waitress was very good, but she was let down by the initial service we received by other staff.

There are newer reviews for Brasserie and Bar at Malmaison - Newcastle

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Having seen advertisements of their Big Sunday Lunch, I was tempted to try this and see if the starter buffet lived up to expectations. It certainly did as there was a smorgasbord of cold meats, fish, prawns, pate, terrines, and mediterranean items. The mains were beautifully cooked and the accompanying vegetables were just perfect. One let down was the desserts as they were pretty stodgy/carb-laden/calorific. There were no options for lighter desserts. The staff were very friendly and looked after guests well. It is pricey for a Sunday lunch but worth a treat on a special occassion.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

We were hoping for a quick, but tasty meal the night before the Great North Run. On the plus side, the restaurant was able to fit us in without a booking whereas others in the area were full, but perhaps we should have taken that as a sign!
Service was slow - we were only having mains, but from being seated to having our food served took 45 minutes (a lot of that being from the point of being seated to having our order taken) and it definitely wasn't worth the wait.
My husband had the gourmet burger at £19.95 - it was OK, but the restaurant refused to serve it anything other than medium well or well done and, because the burger itself was so thick, it ended up being dried out. My son had duck and chicory salad, which was tasty, but lacking a sauce. However, the most disappointing was the pasta dish that I had with tomato sauce, basil and mozarella. It was £14 for a very small portion - for that price I expect the pasta to be fresh, but it was clearly dried and the sauce tasted like it came out of a jar (if it didn't, it might as well have).
With drinks, our meal came to £80 (including a 10% service charge, which was added automatically - another thing which is guaranteed to annoy me!). Not worth it and I wouldn't visit again. We had a far better meal the following evening in the nearby La Tasca.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

My partner booked us in for a meal at the Brasserie at the start of the bank holiday weekend. We dined fairly late, at 9 pm after having a few cheeky cocktails on the quayside.

The Brasserie was well presented with dark yet tasteful decor in keeping with the Mal style. The bar which overlooked the millennium bridge had spacious and comfy seating and our drinks were served to us by friendly staff. For dinner we were seated in the restaurant and we started with bread, olives and chicken skewers, all of which were delicious. It's only a slight gripe, but the bread would have benefited from being served warm - maybe that's just my preference though.

For a main, I had the house burger (thoroughly recommended!) and although I was given a choice of how it was cooked (I asked for medium - it came well done) it was still tender and delicious. My partner really enjoyed the pasta dish she chose too and although we were tempted by dessert we were simply too full!

Compared to previous Malmaison experiences I've had, Newcastle tops the bill - it was pricey, but nevertheless fantastic. Definitely recommended.

1  Thank eyley
Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I and a friend visited the Malmaison restaurant for restaurant week where we all got 2 courses for £15. I had the steak and frites, and a strawberries and cream dessert my husband and friend both had a goats cheese starter and Mal signature Burger for main, no dessert. We sat in the bar first before going through to our table and I have to say both the staff in the bar, and our waiter for the evening were superb, really efficient at their job, but very friendly with it, they weren't overly stuffy which you can sometimes find in hotel restaurants when you are not a resident.
The food was lovely, I have dined here once before (on my first date with my now husband) and I cannot fault it, flavoursome and decent portions despite it being Restaurant week. I would recommend any time of the year, ether as a quick catch up meal with friends or a romantic dine out for 2.