“First time”

Brasserie and Bar at Malmaison - Newcastle
Ranked #108 of 1,314 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Sleek and seductive, Malmaison offers a daringly fashionable setting for sampling sumptuous flavours. Committed to serving the highest quality ingredients, Malmaison sources honest produce from treasured suppliers, and crafts a cutting-edge reinvention of favourite regional recipes. Offsetting the chic dining room, a cosmopolitan bar serves freshly shaken cocktails and an eclectic selection of smooth world wines.
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My partner and I visited the Brasserie recently using a living social voucher I purchased some time ago, as this was my first experience of "voucher deals" I did not know quite what to expect, table near the toilet, small portions etc., however I was very pleasantly surprised, Staff were very attentive and pleasant, choice of food was good, some choices as you would expect did incur a extra charge, but this was not excessive.

Food quality was excellent, and plentiful, complimentary glass of champagne was very nice.

All in all a very good first experience of dining at the Malmaison

Reviewed October 31, 2012

its such a lovely venue. staff are great, nothing too much trouble. food was good as always. good tables set far apart, nice ambience. clean smart powder room. free parking in the evening nearby.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

We ate here using a Living Social voucher - 2 courses for £29 with a glass of fizz. When we tried to book there seemed to very little availability for those using these vouchers when there was supposed to be no restriction when the voucher could be used. We ended up going for Sunday lunch. The starter of prawn cocktail was tasteless and wet with tiny shrimps. The main course of beef was average but a little lukewarm with bland vegetables.
We realised when we left that we had not received the discount we should have on additional drinks so the voucher really saved nothing. There are a lot better places to eat for Sunday lunch for £15 a head

Reviewed October 21, 2012

We had a meal here last night on a Leaving Social voucher, and were rather disappointed. My starter of a prawn cocktail had a lot of water in it due to it being served on a lump of ice, and was rather tasteless. My partner's crab starter wasn't bad, the best part was the deep fried avocado.
For the main course I had a swordfish and my partner had lamb. Both were quite tasty but hardly warm, the least I would expect for this kind of restaurant is the hot meal! The fries were delitious and probably the best part of the meail.
We also really enjoyed the cheese board for afters, which is what actually made the meal overall.
Overall, if I had to pay the full price I would be very disappointed!

Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

We had a living social voucher to use so we booked for the Friday night, we arrived and shown to our table. We waited a couple of minutes for a waitress to come and give us the menu & take our drinks order. We ordered our food which came quickly n was nice. After we had finished our meal we asked twice for the bill and some more drinks. The bill came and the receipt had all the food and drinks on we had even though the we had paid for the voucher, the bill was changed but they left the service charge on the whole total (£146.45) not just what we were to pay for that night (£42.50 on sides & drinks) which I thought wasn't good.

We enjoyed our night but really wouldn't justify the prices for the food and drinks for a normal night out.