“A must try restaurant!”

Blackfriars Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Blackfriars Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: European, British
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Newcastle Central Station
Description: Blackfriars Restaurant in Newcastle is Britain���s oldest purpose-built restaurant, dating back to 1239 when it was used as a refectory by hungry monks. Luckily the food is a bit more modern, and the award-winning menu and historical surrounds have made this one of Newcastle���s most popular restaurants. Whether you���re dining in the candlelit medieval banquet hall, the intimate dining room or the garden terrace, be sure to arrive early for a delicious cocktail at the bar. The menu never fails to impress, and favourite dishes include the wild rabbit stew with prunes, roasted almonds and Jerusalem pur��e and grilled scallops with roast pumpkin, French beans and beetroot coulis. Blackfriars Restaurant has an acclaimed wine list.
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Best restaurant in the north east. Reading the excellent trip advisor reviews we decided to try this restaurant to celebrate my graduation. I was greeted on arrival with a complementary glass of proseco; one example of the outstanding attention to detail this restaurant demonstrated from the service to the plate! The food was outstanding, service impeccable and all around a very enjoyable dining experience. The early bird menu was very reasonable and delivered excellent value for money. A must try restaurant!

There are newer reviews for Blackfriars Restaurant

Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Four of us for dinner last might. Lovely warm welcome by friendly engaging staff. Very nice bottle of Prosecco got things started. Starters included fish plate shared by two. Whilst acceptable, the fish was overwhelmed by sauces and flavourings. Main courses were ok, overall food was not what I had hoped for but will be back

Reviewed July 19, 2013

My partner took me to Blackfriers as a birthday treat. He had been before and highly recommended it, it was my first time. It did not disappoint. The waiting staff were really friendly and extremely helpful when it came to wine choices, special requests etc, and their suggestions were bang on the money. Although my fish dish was served with plaice rather than the stated halibut, the dish was still very good, as was every dish we ate. We were given a special tasting of a couple of desert wines, which was a really nice touch to the evening. All in all it was a really lovely evening - not too 'stiff', good food, great wine, excellent service!

Reviewed July 19, 2013

This was my first visit to Blackfriars as I've been meaning to go quite soon time. The staff were were nice and very attentive.
The surroundings are lovely, I love the medieval feel to it, although it is a small restaurant so tables were very close together.
I was a bit disappointed in the 'bread basket', I would expect a restaurant of this calibre to offer a nice selection of rolls for the table, instead of one small slice of bread.
We ordered off the a la carte menu and the meal itself was delicious and portions were a good size. However, I wouldn't the food was any better than similar restaurants in the area, the fact that it uses local produce in a lovely setting works in its favour.

Blackfriars is great for a special occasion as it is unique and the menu offers a good choice. I would definitely go back but as we paid nearly £90 for a 3 course meal for 2 (without alcohol), I will try their set menu for £18 next time as the menu is very similar to the a la carte one.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

This is a really nice place, and if you have a big group, it's recommended to make a reservation. As this was the graduation day, we had a reservation. The food was good, also for a pescetarian. Some of the stuff looked to be bored and unhappy, butour waitress Imogen was a joy. Altogether, quite a nice and unique British medieval experience.