“Very good food”

Blackfriars Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Blackfriars Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: European, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Newcastle Central Station
Description: Blackfriars Restaurant in Newcastle is Britain���s oldest purpose-built restaurant, dating back to 1239 when it was used as a refectory by hungry monks. Luckily the food is a bit more modern, and the award-winning menu and historical surrounds have made this one of Newcastle���s most popular restaurants. Whether you���re dining in the candlelit medieval banquet hall, the intimate dining room or the garden terrace, be sure to arrive early for a delicious cocktail at the bar. The menu never fails to impress, and favourite dishes include the wild rabbit stew with prunes, roasted almonds and Jerusalem pur��e and grilled scallops with roast pumpkin, French beans and beetroot coulis. Blackfriars Restaurant has an acclaimed wine list.
Tyne & Wear
“Very good food”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Visited with the wife and another couple. The olde worlde atmosphere makes a nice setting and we all ordered 3 courses for £15 with no complaints from any of us! All traditional north eastern food, the pease pudding was amazing as was the black pudding all served by friendly staff. Servings are more for taste than size so don't expect over generous portions! My only gripe would be the automatic gratuity added, I like to decide on who I tip!

• Visited January 2013

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Local food of extremely high quality”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

This a great place to take visitors on a special occasion, its not the cheapes place, but quality is never compromised. The staff are friendly and professional and really exceed your expectations on every visit. The placemats tell you the sources of the food served in the restaurant which is a great talking point. I've never been disappointed at this restaurant, and have eated here in large groups and as a couple. You must try it!

Pascal76100
“Very good but too expensive!”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Lovely old restaurant and good staff. I tried the Wellington sirloin which was perfectly cooked. However, it lacked any side dishes. If you want some you will have to pay an extra 3 GBP. In my plate there were only 3 pieces of sirloin steal and a tiny bit of carrot purée. This is not serious!
Don't forget that there is a 10% service charge to be added. The Tyneside lager beer is very good. I don't like this system of hidden charges (written at the bottom of the menu). Overall good experience but I don't think it is worth the 25 GBP I paid for.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank Pascal76100
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Amazing food and experience”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Wonderful food and really discrete service, one of the best places we have ever been.

The last time we went was for our anniversary, although I'll credit my partner for booking, the food was amazing as always and the glass of champagne each was a really nice touch.

Would recommend this restaurant to anyone who will listen.

Visited October 2012
Hangzhou, China
“Expected more for the money”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Ate here quite some time ago admittedly, my girlfriend and I had heard good things about Blackfriars and decided to check it out. The menu was more than enough to make us both want to go - and we are quite particular when it comes to food. As I said it was some time ago nevertheless I have been meaning to review this place for some time

Upon arrival the greeting was average, I felt as though the serving staff lacked the level of charm and professionalism that one would expect from a place like this (Blackfriars has a good reputation in Newcastle). The selection of beers and wines was impressive, and the menu promised interesting and slightly different dishes which all sounded very appealing.

Had a goats cheese creation as a starter - tasty but nothing particularly special, the main course is where it all fell apart. I ordered a steak and paid £26 for the privilege, sadly the presentation was poor, a very average piece of beef served with on the vine tomatoes and about 5 hand cut chips. The meat was very fatty and didn't taste particularly special - it was also tough despite ordering it medium, I have paid this exact amount for a steak in a restaurant in Edinburgh which was simply sublime. I was very disappointed.

After tucking begrudgingly into my steak, I was even more annoyed to find a hair in it, which I complained about immediately, the steak was taken away and re cooked (although was no better!) and the waitress kindly offered us free desserts as a result.

We took her up on this offer and ordered some sticky toffee puddings, which were fine, again though nothing special. Although we are grateful that the waitress was able to offer us free deserts, in hindsight I think I would rather have had a refund for a poor steak. We paid a hefty price tag and left, feeling let down.

This place has so much potential, it is in a beautiful location and the interior is very homely and inviting, the selection of drinks is comprehensive and a great deal of both their food and drinks are sourced locally, these are all the components of a fantastic restaurant, couple that with a very imaginative menu and they should be on to a winner here, somehow it just didn't work for me.

• Visited February 2012