“Enjoyable lunch”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We had Groupon vouchers which made our seafood lunch tremendous value. Not sure I would have wanted to pay the full price, but then probably wouldn't have ordered so much food. Starters were excellent and the seafood platter was pretty good too. The service was very friendly and the waitress made some good suggestions about starters to avoid duplication with the main course. All in all, we were very pleased with our Sunday lunch and would definitely go back when similar offers come up.

There are newer reviews for Big Mussel - Quayside

Reviewed June 14, 2014

If you are a sea-food enthousiast this is when you want to go! Big variety of sea-food and other, great delicious dishes, and value for money. The starters though did not have sufficient portions even though were delicious. Another positive is the great selection of Belgian beers.

On the negative side: it could use a refurbishment - really worn out tables and chairs; cleanliness not its major assets - specially re the facilities.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

On our travels seafood restaurants are an important part of the enjoyment, so the Big Mussel seemed a good choice as the Quayside bus dropped us at the door and we had eaten reasonably well on a previous visit. This time we were not terribly impressed with either the service - less than attentive although friendly enough - or the quality of the food. Starters of prawns & garlic and scallops were fine, but the mussels were very disappointing, with too many beards and bits of broken shell, and overcooked to our taste. Having decided not to pay over the odds for wine, we settled for draught lager and wished we hadn't. Overall, not a great experience.

Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

We both love seafood and with 3 children we never get out much. We booked this after searching online and the menu looked delicious. What a disappointment, staff had no recollection of our reservation even though I had an email on my phone from them to confirm it. We were sat on the balcony area and the staff were downstairs, so if we wanted anything we had to wait for them to come up. I ordered scallops with chorizo and pea puree and it when it came it was not pea puree, I'm positive it was tinned processed peas! We had half a kilo of mussels each and they weren't cooked properly, overcooked and chewy. Our bread wasn't brought out and with been on the balcony my husband had to walk down and tell them. The only good thing about the night was the music. Such a let down.

1  Thank Kayleigh A
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Visited here eventually after a few planned visits that fell through. Loved it! Ambiance was good and the service seemed quick and attentive. I love seafood so the menu was just full of mouthwatering dishes but as a first visit I went for the mussels. Cannot fault them at all and I'd have them again but the other choices may just tempt me away!