“could be better”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I went twice. The first time i ate very good mussels and the second i ate a very good fish.
The french fries are home made but unfortunately too big and not cooked enough.
It is really a pity !

Reviewed December 27, 2013

We came to this place as a couple for a pre christmas meal.
We had booked a table at the restaurant thinking it would be busy, only to find it nearly empty at a peak time. The staff at this point were fine and our order was taken without any problems.

We both decided to have steak as the restaurant advertises itself as a grill also. We ordered two well done steaks, both of which arrived completely pink in the middle. I sent mine back as this place is a little more pricey than most and I wasn't impressed. When my steak reappeared, it was still quite rare and mostly fat so I ended up giving up and leaving it. The staff stood around doing nothing and staring into space which made for an uncomfortable and awkward experience. When the waiter came to clear our table he could clearly sense our disappointment so neglected to ask whether or not we enjoyed it.

The Big Mussel has great reviews for seafood but I would avoid at all costs for anything else. Terrible value for money.

2  Thank floro89
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

Great food, great service and delicious beer. We have an annual night in Newcastle before getting the ferry to Holland. This place starts the trip perfectly.

Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

Went a couple weeks ago with a voucher from group on 2 full lobsters with sides 40quid. Food was amazing, Cajun prawns to start and scallops with chilli jam were immense. Lobster didn't let us down although the portion size wasn't great, certainly wasn't a full lobster but still bloody lovely... I wanted to bathe in the thermidor sauce. All in all great night again, nice place this a million miles away from all the other prententiuos places down the quay side.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

We went here to try to lobster using the Groupon deal we got online. £19.50 each for a lobster, with chips/potatoes and a salad/vegetables as sides.

Apart from having a wait a little to be seated, and to order drinks, the service was good. The waitress helped us with the extensive Belgium beer menu, as we had no idea what any of them were.

The place has a nice atmosphere, and with it being Christmas season, they had Christmas crackers at every table, which was a really nice touch.

The food itself was delicious too. The lobster was fresh and tasty - I forgot to ask if they were locally sourced - and we tried the two ways they cooked it, in a garlic and herb butter, or in a creamy sauce. Both were good, but I preferred the garlic and herb, as the creaminess was a bit overwhelming for my liking.

Overall, lovely place to eat, and would love to come back and try the mussels and other seafood.