“Great night out”

Cuisines: French, British
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I met some friends for a meal with a view to moving on, we had a very good meal, nice selection of wine. Which we enjoyed,but then after a few drinks at the bar we decided to stay for the.night out, lively I suspect a lot of locals call in for a drink on there way home.
The staff were helpfull the ambience great,will defiantly be enjoying a few more nights in here in the near future.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

I bought a voucher for Baluga as a Christmas present for my my and her partner. They visited last week and haven't stopped raving about it since. They now intend taking me for dinner next time I visit Newcastle. They had particularly good things to say about the waitress who was from Sheffield. All round they felt that the atmosphere, decor, food and staff were excellent.

1  Thank Ronanfi
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We visited this restaurant on Saturday 15th February and had a very good meal. When we arrived we walked up the stairs towards the back of the restaurant and were shown to a nice table overlooking the bar area. The menu had many choices to choose from and the quality of the food that arrived was very good. I started with the mussels then followed with a steak that was cooked to perfection. The sauce that accompanied the mussels was delicious (I chose the classic style, as there are other options to choose from). It was also good to view the open kitchen from our seat to watch the chefs prepare the food too. Highly recommended, we will be back!!

1  Thank JMO_83
Reviewed February 13, 2014

A friend ordered a Martini, a standard cocktail that most bartenders in a 'cocktail bar' should know and was also at the top of there 'Martini' section on there menu. The bartender serving us was on his first shift so, fair enough that he might not have known how to make it. The main problem was that the after asking another bartender, a supervisor and a manager with a spec sheet in front of them, they could still barely find the spirits on the back bar and had to be talked through the drink. All in all the drink took about 20 minutes to make which by any standard is not fantastic. The waitresses were also inattentive and wore there uniforms as if they were a 15 year old chavy school girl. On the up side, my pint was ok.

General opinion, don't bother ordering cocktails.

1  Thank AdamStothard
Reviewed February 5, 2014

The food was mostly great. I was a little disappointed by the starter their bubble and squeak was pretty much mash with a fried egg on top of it. Nothing to write home about. My main course was nice, smoked fish soup. Very tasty, but it came with a stray french fry in it.. so I was a bit grossed out.

The staff were friendly enough, very professional in many ways, but they messed up the orders a couple of times. Most problematic was my friends stake which came well done, instead of rare. It took a while to come and it caused us to miss the doors for the comedy night we wanted to go to.

Desert was disappointing. Very expensive for what it was.

It seems if you manage to get there on a day when the staff have it together then you're in for a treat.