“Lovely meal, A little Pricey, Helpful staff!!”

Marco Polo Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Marco Polo is an Italian bistro that is celebrating its 42nd year of trading. We are an independent restaurant and locally owed. We offer a wide range of pizza/pasta and consider this to be our bread and butter. However we really come in to our own on the a la carte side of the menu. All our dishes are prepared on site and deliver extremely good value. The restaurant is always busy and has great atmosphere. We can cater for most requests. We take reservations and also hold a number of tables back for walk-in custom. So if you're passing pop in.
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Marco Polo's is one of the nicest restaurants I have been too. I took my girlfriend there for valentines day and back again for my birthday. Both times I loved the food, Especially the Stake & Pesto Pasta!!! The only thing that stops it from getting 5 stars is the price of some of the course but again you pay for what you get! Will defiantly be back again soon.

MattManager81, Manager at Marco Polo Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2014

Thanks for your review and regular custom. we look Forward to seeing you again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,239)

Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

Went here for a staff night with everyone from work
It wasn't my choice of venue
But was pleasantly surprised

Unfortunately the booking had been taken on the wrong day by the staff which was a little concerning by us as we had ordered drinks at the small entrance waiting for others but the staff managed to sort something out and we got a table which was very good of them under the circumstances

Whilst having a drink with the majority of the staff we waited for one member of staff who was considerably late
The staff were very understanding of this and didn't push us for an order or anything just patiently waited for our friend

Finally when he arrived we ordered and I went with the steak with the bone marrow
An expensive meal but well worth it
If I'm honest I did have 4 pints of peroni before I are the meal which could have hindered the taste but it was still amazing one of the best mains I've ever had in newcastle

A very good restaurant I would happily recommend
Only comment I must make was how cold the place was it was freezing
This had something to do with the exterior of the building and it being a cold late night

To be honest it made me appreciate the hot food some more

In my opinion a brilliant place
9/10 good job guys :)

I can't say how happy I am to read this review and am thrilled at how much you enjoyed your meal.

The building can get very cold with it being so old, however we have just massively upgraded our air con system and can regulate heat/cold far more easily.

I am happy we managed to get you all seated despite the mix up and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

We often go to Marco Polo if we are in Newcastle for the evening,but have been unable to get in recently as we didn't book. This time we made the booking easily on-line and saved ourselves a lot of sorrow. I arrived before my husband and before our table was ready so I was welcomed immediately and provided with a seat in the small bar area and the drink I ordered came very speedily. It was a lovely way to start a relaxing meal. When my husband arrived we were shown to our table and dealt with quickly and efficiently by our waiter. the food was excellent and the service was very attentive. It is my favourite place for Italian food in the centre of Newcastle. The menu is imaginative and well cooked and presented. The atmosphere is warm and friendly and the staff are also warm and friendly

1  Thank Pat L

I am glad we managed to deliver a nice relaxed experience for you and I hope we continue to do so.

It is always advisable to book as even on the Mondays and Tuesdays we can get very busy.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

Excellent service, excellent food - and the restaurant itself is lovely too. Generous portions, plenty of choice and not just predictable Italian fayre either. The lamb cutlets and fish dishes are particular favourites of ours, and we can never resist the warm pear and almond tart with almond ice cream.

Thanks for you kind review and glad we delivered for you.

I don't think the lamb cutlets can be beaten and I'm glad you feel the same.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

Visited here at 630 on Saturday and was seated upstairs straight away!
Staff were friendly and helpful and when she brought our wine to the table offered for us to taste it first which was a nice touch.
I ordered the crab linguine, with chilli lemon and parsley. However, had I read reviews previously posted I'd of steered clear and saved myself a terrible meal! It was pasta and crabmeat in a watery sauce! I'm still wondering now where the chilli and lemon was?
My 3 other friends all massively enjoyed theirs so unfortunately I was let down purely by mine.
I'm not one to make a fuss so just left most of it - but was massively surprised when our plates were cleared and mine was still full of food that no one asked why I'd left mine?
Nice atmosphere and overall I enjoyed it. I personally wouldn't rush to go back, however when I do return I will try one of the meals my friends got to save myself another disappointment

I can only apologise about your meal and the fact that nothing was said/asked when we cleared your plates.

I do hope you give us another try.