“Great place - will be back!”

Marco Polo Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Marco Polo is an Italian bistro that is celebrating its 42nd year of trading. We are an independent restaurant and locally owed. We offer a wide range of pizza/pasta and consider this to be our bread and butter. However we really come in to our own on the a la carte side of the menu. All our dishes are prepared on site and deliver extremely good value. The restaurant is always busy and has great atmosphere. We can cater for most requests. We take reservations and also hold a number of tables back for walk-in custom. So if you're passing pop in.
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Myself and two friends dined here last night and were all really impressed! So above par from other italian restaurants in this price bracket.

For starters we had some olives and potato skins - my only niggle is that the potato skins were more like chips - however they may be described as that on the menu. I didn't bother to check. No big deal, they were still delicious.

For mains, two of us had pizzas, which were amazing, and the other had a starter size of scallops, which was a really generous portion.

The service is exactly what service should be - polite and friendly but also not invasive. They were on hand if needed but allowed us to enjoy our food. Even with a full waiting area, we weren't rushed out of our seats.

As for the price - those negative reviews about price, do these people never eat out? This place is EXCELLENT value for money. The menu is so reasonably priced.

And as for the comments about noise - it's hardly fair to negatively judge an establishment for being busy. Ridiculous.

I would recommend this place to anyone, and I will make sure next time I visit Newcastle I will be back!

MattManager81, Manager at Marco Polo Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

I’m delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us at MP, identifying the unobtrusive service, the value for money and quality of dishes is very very welcome to hear. I appreciate the recommendation and the attempt to negate the noise feedback we receive from time to time. Thanks for taking the time!

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Booked a table, arrived 5 minutes before booking..................after being left stood waiting for 40 minutes we left. What is the point of taking a table booking and then leaving customers waiting that length of time.

4  Thank Dean J

It is such a shame that this occurred, an oversight has clearly occurred as this is certainly not something that happens at Marco’s, APOLOGIES. I would ask that you contact direct to discuss the matter further. Please email manager@marcopolonewcastle.com FAO Matt.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

My wife and I had a couple of friends visiting, and were looking for somewhere to take them that wasn't going to wreck the bank balance and would compliment our tastes and wants in a meal.

We had never been to Marco Polo, but it came recommended from friends and work colleagues.

Have to say the chocolate cake desert was awesome, nice and moist and not too sickly.

I can recommend the Wild Mushroom and Mascarpone risotto. My wife and one friend had the Radiatori al ragu, which had a strange shape of pasta but did not let down on the taste. Our other friend had seabass which they said was one of the nicest they'd ever had.

The food was brought at a decent pace, with no long waits between courses.

It would also be nice for a family occasion as well as a couples date night. Not too raucous, with a good style and appearance. Very modern.

1  Thank James S

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I’m pleased that delivered a great experience for you and your guests. The sea bass is fantastic and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

We were a table of 8 fuelling up the night before the Great North Run. This is a really busy restaurant so i'd recommend reserving a table on the weekend. I'd booked the table a couple of weeks before but had to make a late addition on the day of our visit which was no problem at all. The food was good and the staff were very friendly. It was really busy when we visited so the staff were rushed and as its so large there is a lack of intimacy but the atmosphere is great and its well located.

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and I’m pleased that you enjoyed your visit with us. It is always really busy and booking a table is highly recommended. Yes having said this we will not have the intimacy that some places do but hope the hustle and bustle makes up for it.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Been here a few times now with our friends and it never fails to please. We share starters, mixed bread & olives plus antipasto. My favourite main course is Sardinian cous cous with prawns and crayfish. Must have had 4 times now. Good value for money, starters, 4 mains & 2 bottles of house red £80.

1  Thank Barbara2104

I’m pleased that you enjoy your visits to MP and more than welcome the acknowledgement of our value for money. Our new menu launches 16th Oct do keep a look out for some new favourites.