“Great food!”

Marco Polo Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Marco Polo is an Italian bistro that is celebrating its 42nd year of trading. We are an independent restaurant and locally owed. We offer a wide range of pizza/pasta and consider this to be our bread and butter. However we really come in to our own on the a la carte side of the menu. All our dishes are prepared on site and deliver extremely good value. The restaurant is always busy and has great atmosphere. We can cater for most requests. We take reservations and also hold a number of tables back for walk-in custom. So if you're passing pop in.
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The menu was interesting and varied, but not so arty that it forgot to include food. I had a wild mushroom dish as a starter, it was very good. Three of us ate a main course - the steak was tasty and looked mouth-watering, the cod was well above average, and the swordfish (my choice) was the best I have ever tasted. No doubt we will return on our next visit to Newcastle. The only downside was that service on our table was a little impersonal, but if I can have either good food or good chat from the waiters, I guess my vote is for the food every time.

MattManager81, Manager at Marco Polo Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

It’s lovely to hear that we delivered such a great meals for you and your guests, I too enjoy the swordfish and crab linguine, delicate yet still packed with flavour. Our efforts to maintain the balance of service is admittedly that; a balance at times. We aim to be unobtrusive yet this can come across impersonal as you say, apologies if this affected the evening and we will try and warm things up next time. Thanks for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

For starters we had the bruschetta and the wild mushroom starter then both of us had veal the bread and butter pudding and chocolate pudding . I must say it was one of the nicest meals I've ever had. I will defiantly be returning .

Thanks for the review and I’m delighted that you enjoyed the veal so much, on the bone it delivers great depth of flavour. The BBP is so more-ish, I might just order one now actually…………

Reviewed September 17, 2013

In recent years we have visited Newcastle for a long weekend in order to take part in that fabulous event - the Great North Run half marathon. We stay at the Royal Station Hotel, which is convenient for central Newcastle and its restaurants and one of our regular favourites is the Marco Polo Italian restaurant which is only a couple of hundred yards away. Service was slick, the menu extensive enough without being silly, the food quality good and the place is always buzzing leading to an excellent atmosphere. Add to that a few glasses of wine and it leads to the perfect evening with friends. Highly recommended

1  Thank DavidBCambridgeUK

It’s great to hear that we are a stable of yours when in the city, it’s pleasing to so highly recommended, thanks!

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I was in a party of four. Had chicken livers for starters which were really good but would possibly have liked a slightly bigger portion. However, had the rib of beef as a main and it was huge so probably just as well starter was not any bigger. My wife and friends all had pizza for main courses and said that they were all fabulous (we have had a few pizza disasters in other restaurants.
Only slight downside, and its only slight, was the mojito I had. Far too much ice compared to alcohol. Otherwise, a great night and we will be returning customers

2  Thank GraemeBuck

Thanks for taking the time to write a review, I’m pleased that you enjoyed the Rib it is just as huge of a seller as its size. We have refined the mojito recipe, do try it next time you’re in.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Visited this restaurant early on a busy Saturday night, around about tea time. We found the service to be exemplary and the food lovely, I had rabbit cannelloni and I would recommend it, my husband had lasagne and said it was one of the nicest he has had for a while, but the wine prices are a rip off!

1  Thank Trish36
MattManager81, Manager at Marco Polo Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

I am glad to hear you found the food and service great.

For a city centre restaurant I believe our drinks prices to be lower than most. With our entry wine at £4.95 for a large glass or £13.95 for the bottle extremely cheap. I don't know if maybe you ordered without looking at the menu and chose a more expensive wine without realising.

We do hope you come back.