“Marco polo”

Ranked #131 of 1,332 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: Italian, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Marco Polo is an Italian bistro that is celebrating its 42nd year of trading. We are an independent restaurant and locally owed. We offer a wide range of pizza/pasta and consider this to be our bread and butter. However we really come in to our own on the a la carte side of the menu. All our dishes are prepared on site and deliver extremely good value. The restaurant is always busy and has great atmosphere. We can cater for most requests. We take reservations and also hold a number of tables back for walk-in custom. So if you're passing pop in.
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This was a very pleasant eating experience for my wife and myself.The service was very friendly and welcoming.Food was great and prices are quitr reasonable for a city centre reastaurant.It offers a little bit more variety than a standard ' italian ' which Marco's isn't so if you only want cheap bland pasta/pizza go elsewhere,but you would'nt be dissapointed going in.
Highly recommended.

MattManager81, Manager at Marco Polo Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to review us, especially identifying that we are not a run of the mill Italian. As you said if you want to pay low prices for a huge plate of food, we are properly not the place. If you fancy trying something different then come visit us!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,274)

Reviewed April 2, 2013

No idea how we found out about it but booked this restaraunt last year for my girlfriend's birthday. We had a great time - the food was excellent, the drinks were great and the ambienece was just right. I seem to recall it having a strange layout but it didn't feel too cramped or too spacious, just right. Plus it is extremely good value for money - I thought I'd feel like I'd been mugged after we ordered three courses each with extra drinks but to my pleasant surprise it was only half the price of what i'd expected to pay.

It really was well worth it and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others.

MattManager81, Manager at Marco Polo Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

It is very pleasing to hear that you recognised the value we deliver, thanks for the review!

Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

I have been to this restaurants at least 6 times now in the past 3 years I have been in newcastle. Not once has it let me down in both the food, the atmosphere and the staff.
So I visited again last week, this time I went in a group of 4, so got to try some new dishes on top of the ones I have tried in the past. For starter had the garlic bread with rosemary, big portion enuf for 3 to 4ppl + not overly greasy, deep fried goat cheese which was just mouth warming and delicious with the wine, capaccio beef and Parma ham with melon which were average. For main, had the beef ribs medium rare done (super juicy amd tender) served with truffly mash, spinach and rosemary potato which I have to say brought the dish to light in that it melts in ur mouth but at the same time not buttery, rich and over filling; other ones we had were the hand rolled pasta with lamb Ragu which was nice (the lamb tasted a bit like ox-tongue), rabbit and leek calleloni (which was average, coz I couldn't taste either component). For desserts, just had the almond and pear tart with almond ice team which ll melt ur heart if u r an almond lover, and sticky toffee pudding with mascarpone ice-cream which is light, spongy texture and not sickly sweet compared with others I have tried in Newcastle.
So price wise, their lunch menu is fairly cheap, this time I visited at night, around 20 pounds pp for a taste of three course on sharing with wine. In my opinion, definitely worth the money!

1  Thank itheus

I’m pleased that you have a consistently good time when frequenting Marco’s! Thank you for the constructive criticism too, this is extremely valuable in improving!
Please do ask for some recommendations next time, with over 70 items on the menu there are naturally some really great ones that we can direct you towards. The vast majority of the staff eat at Marco’s regularly and will be more than happy to help.
Thanks and see you soon!

Reviewed April 1, 2013

As the title says, another last minute decision to spend a Sunday afternoon at Marco Polo Newcastle with family.

They managed to squeeze us in despite being Easter Sunday and jam packed and we were sat at a table very quickly.

Our waitress was lovely, patient with our giddy jokes and antics.

The food was quick and tasty, pizzas were thin, crispy and full of flavour and the lasagnes still the best we've tasted.

The wine was beautiful (chianti) and for 2 starters, 4 mains, 2 (maybe 3) bottles of wine and some soft drinks £110.00 inc tip was pretty good!

The only down side was one of the male waiters - he was completely rude and ignorant and didn't acknowledge us when bringing the wine over, he just poured and left.

However, 9/10 for MP. We will definitely be back.

It’s great to hear that you enjoyed Marco’s again! Thanks for writing a review and acknowledging the value. From the old rotas I have narrowed the male waiter down to a few of the guys and will be responding accordingly!!!!! See you again!

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We have been at Marco Polo on Thursday night and we loved it, it was a great food experience. Food was definitely high quality and fresh, and recipes were original and innovative. I have had goat cheese with honey, parmesan ham and figs as appetiser and was delicious. The goat cheese in particular was astonishingly delicious. It reminded me of a recipe i have tried in Tuscany where goat cheese is accompanied with honey. I have had pizza with duck, grapes and cheese as main as i have never tried it before. It was really good, although duck should have been roasted a bit more for my taste. We have also had some Italian bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and I can say that the olive oil was the freshest and tastiest I have ever tried in Newcastle. My friend had grilled lamb with green vegetables and goat cheese and minty sauce. It was great, I' ve never tried such a tasteful lamb dish. The service was efficient and very fast. Good value for money. Overall this is a very good restaurant where you can have a great food experience.

1  Thank Raffaele F

It is very pleasing to here that you enjoyed Marco’s so much! We appreciate you identifying that we use quality ingredients and innovative ideas. Thanks for the review and see you soon.