“Happy Hour!”

Marco Polo Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Marco Polo is an Italian bistro that is celebrating its 42nd year of trading. We are an independent restaurant and locally owed. We offer a wide range of pizza/pasta and consider this to be our bread and butter. However we really come in to our own on the a la carte side of the menu. All our dishes are prepared on site and deliver extremely good value. The restaurant is always busy and has great atmosphere. We can cater for most requests. We take reservations and also hold a number of tables back for walk-in custom. So if you're passing pop in.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Happy Hour!”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Visited here at around 5pm for a quick meal before a concert. The 5-7 happy hour offer was great value offering pizza or pasta for around 6.95. Pizza is good but not amazing. You want top quality, their steaks are to die for :), ate here lot's of times. Atmosphere was a bit quiet as it was early. This place is bustling later on the night. Staff are polite and cheerful. Will always return.

MattManager81, Manager at Marco Polo Restaurant, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thanks for reviewing us and I’m pleased that you visit regularly! The happy hr is great value and runs Mon-Wed 5-7pm with selected pizza or pasta on offer.

The a la carte side of the menu is fantastic value too, with imaginative and hearty dishes. I’m pleased that you identified the service; the guys sometimes miss the praise considering how hard they work under our very busy conditions.

See you soon!

Peterlee
“Good safe bet!”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Visited here for my girlfriends 21st and enjoyed the food, but it didn't quite manage to make the cut for excellence!

I had Calamari for starter and Fillet steak (Medium rare) for my main. both were cooked perfectly especially the steak. I forgot to order a side order so after my meal arrived I ordered a side which came within a couple of minutes which was extremely impressive.

You certainly wont be disappointed by Marco Polo's but I think it falls slightly into a stereotypical Italian restaurant category. I personally prefer something a little more unique/special in terms of the food which would have give it the 5 out of 5. Nevertheless I think for other people who are a little more reserved in terms of their food choices this restaurant would be perfect.

• Visited October 2012
It’s great to hear that we hit the mark with you. Thanks for positive comments regarding the food, I have passed them on to the chef and he sends his thanks too (Michael).
Wirral
“Good job we went early”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Felt cosy even though it's a big place. Considering it was so busy (Saturday eve, Great North Run) the food was pretty good, if not outstanding.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank LisaTWirral
The GNR Saturday evening is our busiest night of the year and this year’s was the busiest night in Marco Polo’s 8/9 year accounts.
To hear that we have maintained our standards during the added logistics of such a night, is warming indeed. To remain cosy despite the size of the place is great to hear, the five rooms do allow intimacy if not in a room with a group.

Thanks for taking the time and I hope we see you next year at the latest.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“This place is good”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife and I dined here for the first time about a week ago with another couple. Very good food, very good service, good atmosphere and good value. What more do you want?

• Visited October 2012
I appreciate the time taken to write a review and welcome the glowing comments!

I’m pleased we delivered and hope to see you again soon.
scotland
“good safe bet”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

had a meal in here midweek and was a good standard italian - exactly what you would expect.
had calzone and could not complain.
good atmosphere.

Visited October 2012
Thank you for writing a review, I’m pleased that we delivered a v.good experience.

See you next time!