“Good food but...”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Good food but...”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

The menu is creative and you also have some gluten free options. I have never been disappointed by the food, which is very tasty, but the service has been average every time I have been. The waitress wasn't very friendly and we had to wait quite a while to be served.

• Visited January 2013

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
“Love love love this place!!”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

The Sky Apple is a unique little place, serving up a delicious vegetarian cuisine. Don't be put off the meat eaters among you - my brother is a sworn carnivore and he loves this place too, as do other non-vegetarians I have visited it with.

I love this place so much I've been there for my last two birthday meals. The food is top notch and they change their menu's regularly so there's no chance of getting bored with the choice (as many veggies might find with the limited menus available to them elsewhere).

The cuisine is varied, with a bit of spice for those who like it as well as pasta dishes or more British based meals. The dishes are carefully thought through and different to the standard veggie options many restaurants serve up. I particularly enjoyed my dessert last time - the carrot cheesecake with orange syrup was to die for! My parents really enjoyed their alcoholic sorbets to finish off with, which would be perfect for a summers evening.

The decor is bright and cheerful, so if you prefer candlelit dinners of an evening it's not the most dim lighting. It's never bothered me though, and the staff are great and make you feel welcome.

For evenings booking is a must - this place is popular! Can't wait til my next visit :)

• Visited February 2013
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Sky Apple”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Great food, value and service, with a friendly atmosphere and good choice of dishes. We went mid week and it was almost full - good idea to book. Will definitely go again.

Visited February 2013
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“First vegetarian restaurant, definitely visit again.”
Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

I'm new to being a vegetarian and I was looking to try a vegetarian restaurant. I found Sky Apple Cafe on tripadvisor and decided to give it a try.
We visited at lunchtime and I was pleasantly surprised by the menu. There was a good choice of meals for very reasonable prices. The restaurant is very relaxed and casual but a welcoming environment. The waitress was not very welcoming but once we had our food all was forgiven. The food was delicious and made me realise I wasn't missing anything by choosing not to eat meat. I had the vegetarian lasagne and my partner had hummus burrito, both lovely dishes.
I will most definitely visit again but would likely try the evening menu and hopefully the level of service will be adjusted to the suit the increase in customer numbers.

1 Thank CarlWilkinson
Rowlands Gill, England
“Wonderful food”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We ate here on a Saturday evening, and found it unpretentious and small, but friendly. People dress casually, and a jumper is a good idea in winter. The service was not the quickest, but was friendly and drinks arrived soon enough. The food was excellent. It's rare to find really good vegetarian food, but this was better than many, many other places. We recently ate at the award-winning Blackfriars restaurant and that wasn't a patch on the Sky Apple. It was extremely good value for money too. Two of us had 2 drinks each, starters, mains and one dessert for just £41. Don't know why one reviewer thought that expensive, or why he didn't just ask them about vegan food.

• Visited February 2013