“glorious”

The Sky Apple
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed December 16, 2012

a local restaurant catering to our vegetarian needs - and it's absolutely delicious :) lovely service and food is of a very high standard, always tasty :)

Reviewed December 15, 2012

After meaning to visit this restaurant I eventually got round to going with my mam. I thoroughly enjoyed the food which when eating out is a rare experience! We have since been back and the food was again fantastic. It is one of the few eateries I actually want and look forward to returning to.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

An excellent restaurant for vegetarians and meat eaters alike! I have taken lots of friends and family there and all love it - and many say they wish they lived in Newcastle just to have it nearby!

I have never been disappointed with anything I have ordered here and it's a treat to have so much choice as a vegetarian. The menu changes every two months I think, and has an emphasis on seasonal produce. There are a range of dishes so you'd find something that would suit you, whether you want something hearty, something light, something spicy, something unusual or something more everyday (although it is always spectacular!) The presentation is always beautiful, for example at Christmas time I had sushi arranged in a cone shape like a Christmas tree, with red edible glitter and pink peppercorns, and a star shaped piece of cucumber on the top - fantastic!

You can take your own wine (£1.50 per person corkage) although it works out approximately the same price as buying it. They also do a range of local beers and soft drinks.

In the daytime it has a cafe vibe and in the evening it is an informal restaurant, and very cosy. It's always busy so booking is recommended.

The food is absolutely fantastic and as long as you are a reasonably adventurous eater (eg. don't think a margherita pizza is a bit out-there!) you will enjoy it whether you're vegetarian or not. You can have an excellent three course meal with wine for approximately £20 - £25 per person, and in my opinion it will be the best meal you'll get in Newcastle!

1  Thank Hannah M
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I have been to this restaurant a few times and each time, I am never disappointed with the food. Last night was no exception. There were 5 of us for a friend's birthday. Two of the party are strict vegetarians and the rest of us weren't however, the carnivores amongst us did not miss meat at all. There was a varied choice; I went for the filo wrapped chickpea 'samosa' with aubergine cream which was a good size for a starter and very flavoursome. The xmas new york stack with halloumi, grilled mushroom with skinny fries for main course was excellent, although I did have food envy with my friends' xmas stack and my husband's curry. We managed to squeeze in pudding which included sticky toffee pudding, jaffacake dessert in a glass and cheese and biscuits. Sky apple has a BYO policy at £2 corkage but also recently has started serving organic wines. The soft drink menu is good also. The only thing I find about the restaurant, is the ventilation is not as good as it could be, our clothes always come out smelling of fried food- but don't let that put you off. Just don't go in your best attire!

Reviewed December 4, 2012

It's all about the gastronomy. Andy really knows his stuff more than all of us.
I'm not a vegetarian and never have been, but boy what a creative menu and oh those flavours & textures!
I'd recommend you go as a table of four and just order the lot. Then wait six weeks and do it again, as I've done with my family & friends for the last 3 years. Hang the slightly beatnicky decor & the occasionally erratic service, this is food as it ought to be. The only other Restaurant I've left thinking "you know what? Don't change a damn thing" is Tides in Barbados, and SAC is nearer. I've dragged dozens of dyed in the wool carnivores there over the years and not one of them hasn't had a great meal - sensational.

1  Thank Dawson2001