“Couldn’t have been better”
Review of House of Tides

House of Tides
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Established in February 2014 by Kenny & Abbie Atkinson. House of Tides is a family run restaurant set within the beautifully restored Grade 1 listed 16th Century former merchant’s town house on the historical Newcastle Quayside. House of Tides is Newcastle’s only 1 star Michelin & 4 AA Rosette awarded restaurant. A casual, informal fine dining restaurant with an emphasis on natural, seasonal & sustainable food, showcased over a multi-course tasting menu, which changes as the seasons evolve
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We ate here for an anniversary treat and we’re more than impressed with what was on offer!

We were shown to the downstairs area first, where we ordered a drink each and had our first course - a very nice profiterole-type thing with truffle on the top!

We were then taken upstairs into the main dining area and I was taken away by the simplistic yet very intimate decor! It added such warmth to the experience - and the snow falling outside really aided the aesthetic!

The rest of the tasting menu was incredible - having never really dined so finely I didn’t know what to expect from the food but I ate every ounce on every course! My particular favourite was one I named the “duck nugget” (part of a trio of small starters) and the rhubarb dessert was sublime!!! My other half opted for the cheese course, which he thoroughly enjoyed, whilst I opted for another gin (another very good option).

The staff were incredible - our main waiter’s name has escaped me (male, young, blonde, from the north, was worried about getting home with the snow), but he was incredible! Funny, attentive and more than happy to talk to us about the dishes.

Overall, we had an incredible night and I’d love to return!

1  Thank jess1247
Write a ReviewReviews (1,161)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Visited on Saturday 26th May as a late birthday treat for my husband, we were blown away with how great everything was from start to finish, we had the 8 course tasting menu, and could not fault one course - it was the perfect amount, not leaving you over full or still hungry for more. The waitress we had knew what she was talking about when it came to being asked about the food, a table nearby tested her well! The king crab was to die for, as was the dessert. Managed to have a chat with Kenny as we left too! Absolutely brilliant and will definitely visit again!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We went here based on a recommendation, and we were not disappointed.

You enter into a sparse bar like area, that was very quiet, (got me worried) no need to worry at all, here we looked at the menu, had a drink, were asked out dietary requirements, and enjoyed a small taster of what was to come.

We then went up the stairs to restaurant, it was lovely, the setting, the knowledgeable staff, their enthusiasm for the food and wines was very infectious.

THE FOOD - was simply fantastic, beautifully presented, unusual combinations, wine paring offered, but we chose not to take it.

The waitress was fab, I am not a wine fan, but she tried to persuade me my letting me try different types............we loved this place

1  Thank Sharon K
Reviewed May 19, 2018 via mobile

Excellent food with excellent and unpretentious service. We had the 8 course tasting menu with mine accompanied by the wine selection. Would definitely call again.

Reviewed May 19, 2018

My husband thought he would treat me as we rarely got a chance to go out.

"House of tides" he said, I only heard good things about it! It's not cheap but hey, excellent food.
We went on Thursday and came back thinking, NEVER AGAIN. Not enough food - tasting menu (£70 option) - and too much wine to drink considering the little amount of food in your plate. I have eaten better food for much less money. The restaurant was full so well done Kenny but that's it for me.

2  Thank lmaHexham