“The Best Yet”
Review of House of Tides

House of Tides
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Located on the historic Newcastle quayside and just a stones throw away from the iconic Tyne Bridge. Set within the recently restored Grade 1 listed 16th Century former merchant's town house. House of Tides is a 60 cover restaurant which is set over two floors. The more rustic ground floor entrance level with its 16th century flagstones, provides an excellent venue for a pre dinner drink or two. The first floor which houses the main restaurant seating area has exposed original wood beams and provides the more relaxed and casual setting for your meal. Kenny Atkinson's bold and imaginative cooking has brought him critical acclaim and numerous awards, including a michelin star in 2008 & 2009,and more recently 2015 at House of Tides, holder of 3AA rossettes for over 14 years and Hotel & Caterer Cateys chef of the year 2009. Kenny has also become a well known face on tv from his appearance's on the BBC 2's The Great British Menu. He won this in two consecutive years, 2009 and 2010, with his Grand Reserve Beef Carpaccio and Mackerel & Gooseberry dishes. More Recently you will have seen him alongside James Martin on BBC1's Saturday kitchen, UKTV Foods Market Kitchen and Sky TVs Perfect series.
Reviewed August 17, 2014

We enjoy frequent trips to different areas throughout the country and as a result spend a lot of time in restaurants. So it was a pleasant surprise to find this little gem on our very own doorstep. The atmosphere, the service, the standard of food, everything you want to make your night is all contained within. It is reasonably priced for the quality of the food and we will certainly be returning.

3  Thank david c

Reviewed August 13, 2014

Held a corporate function here recently. We were told that they could not accommodate a party of 11 in the main restaurant, and that we would have to pay an additional £500 for a "private room". When we arrived, we discovered that this was actually just an alcove off the main restaurant!

The time we could eat was dictated to us by the restaurant - they were adamant that we had a choice of 5.30 or 9.30pm, as they couldn't accommodate our group at the same time as the main restaurant's busy period. Again, not ideal for a corporate function, but we went with it as we were keen to try the venue. We were therefore really annoyed to find the staff loitering by the table as the evening drew to a close, making it abundantly clear that they wanted to go home, and that we should wrap up our evening and allow them to do so!

The food was good, although it was made up of lots of small courses, which was probably more suitable for couples or a small group of friends, than a larger business group.

The service left a bit to be desired, particularly as the staff poured a first glass of wine for our guests and then simply left the bottles on a side table so guests had to get up and help themselves. In a restaurant of this standard (and with these prices), we would have expected better.

My biggest annoyance, as someone who regularly books corporate functions, is that I emailed the restaurant with our feedback over 48 hours ago, and I'm yet to receive a response, hence this review!

The overall impression from House of Tides was that they think they are doing you a favour by allowing you to dine in their establishment, and that there is no real desire to demonstrate the level of customer service or responsiveness that I would expect from a restaurant in this price bracket, or that I have experienced from other establishments in the local area. To be honest, there are places in Newcastle where the food is equally as good, and where you are treated better for your money, and made to feel a great deal more welcome!

26  Thank S3CPO
Reviewed August 13, 2014

I've visited House of Tides twice. The first time in January 2014 when it hadn't long opened and once more in July 2014 for the first Sunday of Sunday lunches. The Sunday lunch was the best I've ever had in a restaurant and the taster menu in January was faultless. The service is fantastic and the food even better. I'd be very surprised if it didn't earn a Michelin Star.

6  Thank Rob S
Reviewed August 13, 2014

We visited here for my birthday and we were not disappointed. I was instantly impressed by the beautiful décor, keeping the original features mixed with a cool contemporary look. We arrived and were promptly seated in the lovely relaxed holding area downstairs, where we perused the menu and immediately chose to go the route of the taster menu, even though there were no details of what you would receive, we decided to embrace the fine dining and try things we wouldn't ordinarily try. We indulged in a pre dinner drink, myself choosing a classic prosecco and my husband choosing a whiskey and Cointreau combo, which was very tasty. We were brought some amazing amuse bouche, and shortly after were taken to our table. The taster menu, was a lovely experience, but don't expect a quick turn around, embrace the evening, and you do need the break in between each course.

One regret I have is not choosing the wine pairing, on my next visit I will definitely be going this route. Have already booked for our return visit.

Thanks for a lovely experience.

3  Thank MrsJohnston2014
Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

Went last night for my boyfriends birthday can't fault the food was amazing and well worth a visit we had the 7 course meal with wine. I wouldn't suggest the wine as you really only 4 small glasses of wine. Would just suggest the 7 course meal. The service was good although I do think the 12.5% charge at the end is a bit much. The experience was good but I think maybe a little bit overpriced compared to other fine dining places I have been. For a extra special treat I would recommended going.