“Nice food”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Lock and Key Restaurant - CLOSED

The Lock and Key Restaurant
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: In the gallowgate area of Newcastle near St James Park on the old Scottish and Newcastle Brewery site is The Lock and Key Restaurant. Located above NE4 Cafe Bar is this intimate restaurant. Offering quality food at a good cost.
Durham, United Kingdom
“Nice food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

Was recommended to try this restaurant by my dad.

We were the only people in the restaurant which wasn't promising.... No atmosphere..

Food was great....I had fillet steak which was great but I ordered it medium and it came almost well done.

Service was good because there was no body else in.

• Visited May 2014
Faith M, Public Relations Manager at The Lock and Key Restaurant, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thanks for the review! We're glad to hear you enjoyed your steak and will take your comments about the atmosphere on board. We hope to see you again soon and invite you to like The Lock and Key on Facebook to keep up to date with offers. Thanks

wallsend
“Sunday carvery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our Sunday carvery at The Lock and Key. The staff were very attentive and friendly, the dining room was very pleasant and the food was very tasty indeed. I opted for the roast lamb with mint gravy! lovely big Yorkshire pudding and fresh vegetables served at the table. This place is really tucked away, I had no idea it was there but will definitely seek it out again.

Visited April 2014
Faith M, Public Relations Manager at The Lock and Key Restaurant, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Thanks for the review! We're glad to hear you enjoyed your carvery and the mint gravy! We hope to see you again soon and invite you to like The Lock and Key on Facebook to keep up to date with offers. Thanks
Durham, United Kingdom
“Best Sunday Carvery for a long time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Well what can I say from a warm welcome on arrival to about the best Sunday lunch I can remember. All of the staff were attentive and the Chef's serve up a very tasty meal.

Superb meat, amazing gravy and possibly the best roast potatoes I've ever had.

A true hidden gem in the shadows of St James Park

We'll definitely be back.

Visited April 2014
Thanks for the review Ian! We're glad to hear you enjoyed your carvery and we'll pass your compliments about the roast potatoes onto the chef! We hope to see you again soon and invite you to like The Lock and Key on Facebook to keep up to date with offers. Thanks
United Kingdom
“Decent meal, great price.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

Dined here recently with a friend. As we have never been before, we found it very difficult to find it - looked straight forward on google maps, but it didn't turn out to be. We ended up going in the premier foods shop around the corner and the man showed us where to go. You have to go through a bar and up some stairs to get to the actual restaurant.

It is a very small restaurant with just one friendly waitress running the show. The menu had plenty of tasty options. We opted for the black pudding/bacon/ sauce & smoked salmon starter which were very good. She brought over a tray of breads also which was a nice touch. We then had the fillet steak - cooked perfectly with all of the extras, and the pork in a creamy leek sauce, which I have to say was a bit bland.

For dessert we had chocolate pudding with a liquid centre - we expected this to be served hot but it was cold. Also, the lime cheesecake which was so bitter, we couldn't manage it.

Wine was great with plenty of options, reasonably priced.

Now we come to the bill. We had a taste card which meant we got 50% off the food bill. Total came to around £30.00 - 3 courses, 2 glasses of wine. Amazing price.

I would give this restaurant another go based on the service, nice enough food and price. I would also recommend getting a taste card - you get a 3 month trial on them.

• Visited April 2014
Faith M, Public Relations Manager at The Lock and Key Restaurant, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Thanks for the review! We're glad to hear you enjoyed your starters and the steak, sorry to hear about your comments on the Pork, Chocolate Centred Cake and Lime Cheesecake, we will pass these onto the chef. We hope to see you again soon and invite you to like The Lock and Key on Facebook to keep up to date with offers. Thanks
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

We visited this place after I noticed you could use your Tastecard here..
I booked a table for a Thursday night,when we arrived the restaurant was empty so the staff said we could have our meal in the bar downstairs which was good!
I ordered the chicken curry,my husband the fish&chips..both were lovely presented..mine came with rice&nan bread and a dip..my husband's chips were lovely and chunky, portion sizes were big to..
We both had dessert,myself the chocolate pudding&my oh the lemon&lime cheesecake..
The service was quick,staff were very helpful..the bill came to under £20 with the tastecard discount but we both said we would have happily paid full price as food delicious!!
Looking forward to trying the Sunday carvery one day!!

1 Thank Elaine R
Faith M, Public Relations Manager at The Lock and Key Restaurant, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thanks for the review! We're glad to hear you enjoyed your Curry and Fish and Chips! We hope to see you again soon for a carvery and invite you to like The Lock and Key on Facebook to keep up to date with offers. Thanks