“Enjoyable but I expected more”

Seven Stories - The National Centre for Children's Books
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Seven Stories is the National home of Children's Books. There is no other place like it in the UK. Everything we do celebrates children's books, their creators and their readers. Many of the best loved books for children are written by British authors and illustrators, changing the lives of those who read and enjoy them. We select original artwork and manuscripts - from first scribbles to finished books - to create our innovative exhibitions and popular events. Seven Stories' unique exhibitions, lively events and playful activities bring children's books to life - every day for everyone - making us a place to remember.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Stroller parking, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children
grey bruce
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Enjoyable but I expected more”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I was very excited to take my children here because we are big book lovers. Visiting from Canada, my two boys read the How to Train Your Dragon books our trip. They enjoyed the floor with the Cressida Cowell exhibit but we wanted a little more. A little more hands on perhaps? We were a little underwhelmed. I grew up loving Enid Blyton and found that exhibit to be fascinating, but my children were bored silly. The book store was very interesting but the staff were very preoccupied at the time and didn't seem like they wanted to help my children. We liked the Centre, loved the concept, wanted more.

Visited July 2013

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Amazing place for kids”
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

We went to Seven Stories on Auguat 25th with our 5 year old daughter. We were in Newcastle for one night and read about this place in our hotel. It was fantastic. My daughter loved the dressing up and the story telling. Wish we has somewhere like Seven Stories in Glasgow.

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Brilliant!”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We did not have long to visit and it was a spur of the moment decision but I'm sure we'll go again. Packed full of fantastic stuff to do with the kids and all geared to encouraging reading. My two loved all the interactivity -dressing up, joining in with story time, completing sheets and doing drawings. Wish we had had more time. Cafe was very good value as well.

Hastings, United Kingdom
536 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 232 helpful votes
“Was expecting more than this...”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

My kids (aged 9 and 7) love books - and I mean LOVE books. So I was really sad to arrive and see that this was just a floor of a "How to train your dragon" exhibition and another floor of an Enid Blyton exhibition.

Don't get me wrong, these exhibitions were great - well done, informative and engaging for around an hour each, but this is all there really was. Not what I'd expected from a national Centre for childrens books. And having heard Cressida Cowell talk last year (we're big fans in this house), this exhibition covered a lot of ground we already knew.

The craft area on the ground zone could be recreated anywhere - make a paper puppet/fairy type activities.
The "book den" just had 4 different picture books in it - was expecting there to be a den full of books...
The 6th floor told stories for under 5s every half hour.
An hour of our 3 hour visit was a £2 per person extra animal handling session. Nothing to do with books.
Very excited by the bookshop - but staff there couldn't recommend new titles for my kids based on previous reads.

I'm glad I had a discount voucher for entry - poor value for money if paying full price. Hate being so negative, but we made a special trip here and it really wasn't at all what I expected. More books, more access to a wider range of books, more engagement for kids with more authors and stories is what's needed.

Darlington, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A must see for book book lovers”
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

We visited at the beginning of the school holidays with an 18month old, 7 year and 8 year old. All three thoroughly enjoyed themselves and the two older ones came out asking when they could go back!

The only quibble we had was that the cafe was small, very busy and understocked! We waited quite a while just for a tuna sandwich!

We went primarily for the Enid Blyton exhibition & it was fab!!

Visited July 2013