“Simply the Best.”

Jesmond Dene House
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
“Simply the Best.”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I have to come clean here. I have stayed at Jesmond Dene a fair few times. I have eaten there many times. I think it is simply THE best hotel I have ever experienced. Perhaps I should just stop now and post! But it would be good to tell you more, even though really all you have to do is glance at other reviews on here to know this is amongst the best there is.
More specifics, then. We stayed there Fri 8th and Sat 9th June. Room 2, ground floor of the main house. Have previously done other rooms in the main building and a suite in the new house.
Gloriously furnished, comfortable, clean, beautiful panelled ceiling.The usual fab bathroom and warm floor (I'm going to sleep on the bathroom floor one night when I stay there instead of the bed!)
Its a bedroom, but with space to sit and relax - Close House, take note. Plenty of room for laptop and our own ipod speakers (though they provide these with the radio)
Currently the main house is exhibiting Norman Cornish artwork in the public rooms - a real delight. Period furnishings and features mean the place is subtle but sumptuous. Its a "posh" hotel. But you don't have to be posh - I certainly am not. I am always just "me" when I go there, and that is what makes it so wonderful. You don't have to try hard - because they DO and they make it so easy for you.
Our meal on the Friday night was sublime - as usual. Brilliant service, a taster of the ice cream flavour we had not had before and a lovely young French waiter who came back to tell me all about the French cheese he had forgotten the name of...I had already said it was enough that he liked it!
Breakfast at JD is a small glory. And on the Sat it kind of drifted into reading the papers in the sun, which turned into a late lunch - hey, we had nothing better to do. I doubt there IS much better to do, to be honest.
Sat evening and night we were out, but returned late for a drink and a lovely chat in the bar with our server. He recommended a Wylam real ale for my partner and shared an enthusiasm for Lindisfarne, (the band, rather than the place!) I guess the hotel can pick and chose from the best of local staff - in our experience they don't make mistakes. Staff are without exception superbly drilled, nothing is too much trouble, they are friendly and warm - just sheer quality.

Leaving on the Saturday was tough - it always is!
I was comforted by the fact that I was due to return for a meal on the following Wednesday - June 12th. I had bought my parents a voucher for a meal and overnight stay at Christmas but Dad had been seriously ill and they had been unable to use it until then - my Mum's Birthday.
I explained Dad's health issues on booking - nothing was too much trouble. Free room upgrade. We all had a lovely meal and Mum was suitably spoilt! Thank you for the personalised petits fours! (My dad joked next time he comes for a meal he will just have the "all the free stuff"!)
I came home, they stayed on, and had a lovely night. A real treat for them - and I appreciate so much that they now know they CAN stay in a hotel, despite dad's health. Jesmond Dene made it so easy for them.

I have stayed in some top class hotels that have been all style and no substance.
By that I mean they dazzle the guest but forget the basics. Forget the primary importance of quality facilities where real thought is given to what the guest needs. Forget that dedicated, committed staff who are happy to give their all go a million miles to making an unforgettable experience.
Jesmond Dene does not forget this. It has never forgotten this in my many visits.
I forget it.....I just expect that from beginning to end it will be a classy and comfortable time.
Guess what? It is.
Can't wait to go back. As usual.

2 Thank Tinyclanger16

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2013

A beautiful room with access out into the garden...attentive and professional staff made us very welcome....a great breakfast in the room was a real treat!
I would and have recommended the Hotel to friends and family and will definitely be booking in again!....amazing

1 Thank Silkwood01
Cheshire uk
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This is definately a cut above your average hotel and I have stayed in 5 star hotels that are not as good .

I stayed here for a weekend in May had a junior suite which is in a separate new build block adjacent to the old hotel building not as pretty as the original part of the hotel but very comfortable accomodation with a home from home feel .

Had afternoon tea with home made scones and patisseries /etc which at £14.00 or thereabouts I thought was expensive ...until it arrived and proved to be generous in choice and portion size and the quality of the made on the premises cakes etc was absolutley exceptional .

The weather was wonderful that weekend which made the large gardens and patio area particularly lovely to sit and while away a few hours with a newspaper and a glass of wine or two . Its very peaceful hotel well back from any main roads so no traffic noise at all .

There were two large wedding parties over the weekend I stayed holding receptions which when I checked in did not bode well with me as I have been in many hotels during this kind of event and the noise of happy wedding guests who have over indulged all day and a night time disco mean usually ..other guests suffer with noise and disruption . However there was no disturbance at all ! the hotel somehow managed to distinctly keep the wedding party and associated noise completely separate and well looked after without ruining fellow guests stay ! well done 10/10 . Maybe because I was in the suites in the separate block I benifitted from an undisturbed nights sleep .

Even the main bar in the main part of the hotel managed to look after non wedding party guests efficiently..

The staff were absolutely superb at breakfast ,lunch and dinner the bar staff and afternoon tea staff were the same happy to help .A very well oiled team well done Jesmond Dene Hotel.

Small points of minor critisism the TV in the junior suite was a miniscule 14" thing at the far side of a large room even premier inns have 40inch plasmas ....so not good and I had left my binnoculars at home . The welcome fruit bowl was very sad looking and offered 2 plums, 1 apple and 1 peach and was a large bowl that looked 3/4 empty and thrown together as an afterthought either do it well or don't bother . I happen to enjoy fresh fruit in my hotel rooms so I was probably more disappointed than your average guest would have been in that respect .

Overall a gem of a hotel that gets so much right first time it's impressive I stay in hotels quite a lot and do not bother to review more than 1 in 5 or 1 in 10 stays but this hotel certainly deserves my time to give it feedback for a job well done .

A great peaceful quality hotel experience in a great location with good parking facilities (watch out for large wedding parties in that respect though) will definately be my first choice of hotel when I visit Newcastle from now on well done Jesmond Dene Hotel and thanks for a very pleasant guest experience .

Room Tip: try the suites they are very spacious and comfortably furnished
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MrPink444
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My boyfriend surprised me on the morning of my birthday with an overnight stay, dinner, bed & breakfast at Jesmond Dene House! We were looked after from the moment we arrived by all of the staff. Shown to our enormous room, we enjoyed complimentary champagne on our own private roof terrace and then got ready at a leisurely pace enjoying the 2 showers and underfloor heating in the bathroom.

Delicious cocktail in the lounge whilst picking from the dinner menu. Food to die for, I was completely full but insisted on squeezing in dessert too! Breakfast amazing followed by a lovely walk around the gardens in the morning sunshine.

We did not get a chance to use the spa as the weather was lovely so preferred to be out in the gardens. Expect it would be just as fabulous as the rest of the hotel.

Can I have another 30th birthday next year please?

Room Tip: We had The Apartment as were celebrating my birthday - without doubt the best room!
1 Thank Jen M
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is fantastic! I stay in 2 hotels on average across the country per week and this is by far the most welcoming, relaxing and friendly hotel I've stayed in. The rooms are amazing, the staff are beyond helpful and friendly and the breakfast was scrumy! The only downside was I only staying one night!! Will definitely be back and recommend to friends and family! Lovely lovely hotel!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank prestonmanor
Llangollen, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We have just returned from a wonderfull stay in this lovely hotel. There was a slight issue on arrival due to confusion with our booking so immediatley we were offered a complimentary drink by a memeber of staff whilist it was rectified. Due to the delay (which was not an issue) a member of staff aproached us again to inform us we had been given a free upgrade to a deluxe suit, continually apologising for the inconvenience!

On arriving in the room we were welcomed by a bottle of champagne and a very nice note saying sorry. The room was genuinely one of the nicest rooms we have had the pleasure to stay in with all the mod coms and home comforts along with some champers, what more could you want!

The staff were polite and courtious throughout our stay and nothing was to much trouble. we finished off with a lovely breakfast and said our goodbyes.

I can see why this hotel is voted No 1 in Newcastle - we had a fantastic time and would like to thank all the staff for their profesionalism and kindness - we would definately return

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Excellent service, nothing was too much to ask. Friendly and very welcoming.
Food excellent and plenty of it. Regularly checked that all was well and did we need any refills of tea or coffee or anything else.
The hotel was immaculate from top to bottom and the staff were all pleasant and it seemed to be a very pleasant place to work looking at how happy the staff were.
I would happily recommend the hotel to any family or friends and have done so.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends