“Young people central”

Euro Hostel Newcastle
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Young people central”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

Over all this hostel is clean inside, however, in the corridor i was in think it was the first floor, It smelled of cheesy feet! Although once inside the rooms were clean and tidy, could have done with a hoover but was still clean. Don't come here if u want to sleep, As you will not get any!

The staff at reception were friendly and helpful, You needed a card from reception to get into the lift same with the door up to the rooms and kitchen and laundry area, ONLY problem was the door was never locked during my stay so anyone could just walk in.

The staff in the bar were rude, We were told the bar closed at 6 and last orders were half 5. Then a girl came round to tell us that the bar shut in 15 mins that was at 17:45. Then we told her we were told it shut at half 5 she said yeah i mean u have 15 mins left to drink up, Didn't explain her self very well. Then went back behind the bar and spoke to the other member of staff about us (not very professional).

Overall i would say this hostel is clean, Great for groups hen/stag nights etc !!
And it was good value for money.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Hi Anne M

Thanks for your review on your recent stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I genuinely appreciate all our feedback and on the whole, it would appear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thanks for letting me know about the service in the bar. Please accept my sincerest apologies as it certainly is not typical of our usual high standards. I believe the team were preparing for a private function and were under pressure to begin setting up.

This in no way excuses the standards you experienced and your comments have been filtered through to our F&B Manager.

Thanks again for your comments and I do hope you will come and see us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

The hostel is in a great location, just a fifteen minute walk from Central Station. Staff were warm and polite. The room was comfortable and it was a huge bonus to be able to adjust the heating as desired. The shower was very powerful too. Overall, really good value for money!

However, the room could've done with a little more cleaning and vacuuming. The WiFi was bad and only worked sporadically for the first night of my stay; afterwards, it didn't work at all. (Thankfully I am a BT Broadband customer and there is a BT Openzone hotspot in the area.) The biggest downside were fellow guests, who were extremely loud at all hours of the night as they wandered the corridors (though this is to be expected of a hostel, I suppose). I'd advise against staying here if you're after a decent night's sleep. Perhaps the hostel should have a designated quiet floor where guests are required to be considerate of fellow guests? Just a thought.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Hello Jennifer R

Many thanks for taking the time to review Euro Hostel Newcastle on your recent stay us.

I was pleased to note that on the whole, you seemed to enjoy our stay with us.

Unfortunately, as with many other city centre accommodation venues in Newcastle, there can be issues of guest related noise. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, a small minority will not show respect and consideration for other guests staying on the premises.

We do employ external security as well as additional night stay as part of our efforts to counteract the customer noise issues.

Thanks again for your comments
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

I went to Newcastle with a group of my friends, we decided to stay here as it was cheap and pretty much in the central area. All went well at check in and we paid a £30 deposit each which we were told would be returned if there was no damage to the rooms. When we returned at night n argument occurred with another group down the hall from us, we left it there and returned to our rooms. To be awakened by a knocked and the door and were told we were to get out (half 2 in the morning) being from Scotland we had no idea where we were suppose to go at that time. we were told to return the next morning to try and sort something out, so we left without any trouble and me and other member of my group returned the next morning to sort something out. The manager on duty was very dismissive and didn't want to talk to us. They had took word from the other party without hearing us out. I found her very cheeky and quite frankly nasty as the way she dealt with the situation, when I asked to speak to her manager she told me there was no point and we should just leave now. I eventually got her Managers email address, although I have still to hear from him. We never got to stay one night out of two which we had fully paid for and also our £30 deposit, there was no damage to the room as we had only been in a few hours. its a shame that in places like this when they have your money they don't care.

also the rooms were very cramped, and there was no space to move, there was no room to hang up any clothes. Yes this place is cheap but hostels are suppose to be friendly, this was very far from it. we paid almost £50 each plus a deposit, when we left we stayed in a brilliant hostel not far from the Euro Hostel for £15!! and the couple that owned it couldn't have been more accommodating. I wouldn't recommend any one staying here if you want to be spoken to like muck anytime a problem occurs.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Fiona W
Hello Fiona

Thanks for taking the time to write a review for Tripadvisor on your recent stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

It was unfortunate that your group were asked to leave during your first night but under no circumstances will violence or aggression towards guests or the team be tolerated.

As a member of your group physically assaulted another guest we were left with no alternative to ask your group to leave, after all your party were the aggressors. The person responsible even admitted to punching another guests to one of our Duty Managers at the time.

Your group were given several warnings about their behaviour during the night in question and, even when asked to go to reception, continued to be aggressive and abusive towards the team on duty.

As your party were evicted for violence and aggressive behaviour, under no circumstances would any members of the group be allowed back into the premises, regardless of the reasons put to the Duty Manager.

The bond requested guarantees group behaviour during the stay and is not solely attributed to damage but covers other disruptive and costly incidents such as smoking and noise disruption.

This was explained to your group organiser and is covered in our terms and conditions which was duly signed by representatives of your party.

I glad you were able to find alternative accommodation elsewhere.

Thanks again for your comments.

Travelers are raving about these Newcastle upon Tyne hotels

Bathgate, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

First time in a hostel, the rooms are cramped with lots of bunk beds, no space to move around or sit down but if your looking for somewhere to just get your head down its ok for groups of people. The bar area downstairs is good with decent food. It could be doing with some general upgrading within the bathroom areas also. Would possibly stay here again but in a room with less beds.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Hello Susan J

Thanks for providing a review on your recent experience with Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was please to note that you seemed to have enjoyed your time with us and I do hope we will be seeing you again very soon.

Thanks again for your comments.
Lee-on-the-Solent, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

Stopped for three nights.

Very basic room was ready and clean for me but was not cleaned after that and no clean towels. I knew it was budget hotel but with a liitle work and thought it could be ok. The lift had some kind of fluid running down the mirror and it could been bodily. The hotel did not do it but they did need to deal with i.t I knew it would be noisey in the middle of the night but it wasn't the drunks - it was door closers not properly adjusted and no sound deadening in the corridors so every sound is magnified.

Continental breakfast was excellent - no need to upgrade as far I was concerned. Waitress was trying hard .

Staying here is the same as camping and can be good fun if the sun is shining!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank solentmag
Hello solentmag

Thanks very much for taking the time to review Euro Hostel Newcastle and also for the points raised regarding the cleaning standards.

We have discussed your points in depth and I'm sure you will notice an improvement on your next visit.

Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to see you again in the near future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

I have stayed here a few times either for business meeting or for leisure. I am amazed by the value for money. Its a little gem. I manage a kitchen in a small resteraunt myself that is situated inside a small in so I know value for money when I see it. I am going to newcastle this evening and am thoroughly looking forward to my stay.

• Stayed December 2013
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Hello Simo1408

Thanks very much for taking the time to provide a review on your experience whilst staying with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

The team and I were delighted to note you enjoy your time at the hostel but even more so to see you've become a bit of a regular and your review is based on a number of stays.

Thanks again for your kind words and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

If only there was an option for 0 out of 5. It doesn't deserve one.

I could write a pretty endless list on what a joke this place is but i'll sum up the worst of it, tiny room, stuck in a bunk bed, no heating, at all, wasn't able to change rooms, was given two stinking little electric heaters that took hours to heat the room up and stunk of burnt toast, then that night was the worst nights sleep I ever had. Would rather have stayed out in town and slept on the floor of a bar, would have had a better sleep. Walls are paper thin. Could hear every single person come in from 3am to half 6am I was wide awake, people running around in the hallways all night, slamming doors, screaming, shouting, arguing, literally non-stop, no break. Complained to manager on shift and they came up in fairness and it was quiet for a total of 5 minutes before it all started again. Worst nights sleep I've had in my life. Only bonus was it's location. if you plan on getting even a minutes sleep dont stay here. Came down the next morning and ate a plastic breakfast in the pub and went off home early. Absolute dive. Spend an extra bit of money and get somewhere nice nearby instead

Room Tip: Stay at home