“Exactly what was needed!”

Euro Hostel Newcastle
Gretna, United Kingdom
“Exactly what was needed!”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Stayed here whilst attending a concert back in April. Quite hard to find (due to most of the group being rubbish with maps!) so we were all a bit moody on check in. However the man that checked us in was fantastic - he brightened all our moods and I knew that, despite some of the groups worries, this was a good place to stay. Our room (shared with 5 other girls) was basic but just what was needed - comfy, cosy bunk beds, good shower and everything was clean. Free wifi which was very much appreciated! Nice bar area for breakfast which was self service but again just what we needed. Reception offer help with transport and gave us maps - also recommended a cab firm to get us to and from the Arena. Arrived back quite late but you can get in using your keycard - perfect if you want a night on the town! Bean bag area was nice to chill out in (we were worn out with the late night and shopping!) Overall great value for money and will definitely stay again! :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Hi BindiiR

Many thanks for providing a review on your recent stay at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was delighted to read your comments on the stay and I was particularly pleased with the feedback on the reception team in attendance during your stay.

Thanks again for your feedback and I do hope you will come and see us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights.
All the Staff were really friendly and helpful whenever asked.
Room was basic and clean but very hot, (internal room with no windows). Had I thought about it at the time I would have asked if they had lighter duvets or just another sheet.
It probably could do with some more upgrading/redecorating.
Noisy at night but that was the fault of other guests not the hotel.
Breakfast was basic self-service eat as much as you want.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a window if available
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Hello Karen T

Thanks very much for taking the time to review your recent visit to Euro Hostel Newcastle.

You'll be pleased to know that there are no longer any rooms without windows. We have just carried out an extensive refurbishment programme at the site.

Guest feedback has hi-lighted these rooms as an area of concern and we have listened to these comments and taken the appropriate action.

Our maintenance team have also begun an extensive redecoration programme to ensure all our facilities are at their best at all times.

Thanks again for your feedback and I hope to see you again soon
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Good Service, Hygienic Beds, good economical food in restaurant, free wi-fi and Overall Economical at 16 GBP. The staff was very helpful and polite. They were booked to capacity with only one dorm left. the Dorm had clean beds and good Covers, the toilets and showers were clean. Overall a good experience as its walking distance from city center. The Staff especially the front staff were very helpful and considerate. recommended for anyone on a budget especially students.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Deven S
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Hello Deven S

Many thanks for your review on your recent stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with I hope you will come and see us again very soon.

Thanks again for your comments.
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

A friend and I checked in and initially we were pleasantly surprised at first impression; clean, modern albeit basic. Saw the beanbag room which looked good, although this only seemed to be open at night. We were put in a room right by the lifts on the second floor.

Having booked a triple room, was surprised to find two bunk beds (and room for 5) in our private room. Our room faced out onto Carliol Square, luckily the window refused to stay open on its own so traffic/outside noise wasn't an issue. The room was basic; two plug sockets, a small flat screen TV, a desk with drawer, a chair, a storage unit + clothes hangars, a light for each bunk (mine had no switch so was useless) and a private shower room. The shower room was like a fibreglass pod which was one sealed unit, with a toilet and sink. The shower curtain didn't go all the way around the shower section (you really couldn't have more than one person in at a time anyway so the inclusion of a shower curtain was a bit baffling) and when used, the water temperature had a mind of its own, varying from freezing to lava hot. Someone else has described this as a tardis, only that it doesn't get bigger on the inside. If anything, it feels smaller on the inside and rather claustrophobic; perhaps like a shower room you'd expect in a caravan or mobile home.

The lift broke down on my second night, with a dour receptionist just telling me to take the stairs as she needed to get in fixed (no apology).

The breakfast was served between 08:00-11:00. Imagine the cheapest and thinnest bread you can buy, tea/coffee (but nothing to stir it with), warm fruit juice, a thimble of water plus a choice of gala apples and a view (behind glass) of three solid iron cast pots of piping hot beans and/or eggs that you soon realise you don't have access to as you didn't pay extra. The photo on here includes these three iron cast pots - slightly misleading. I didn't even bother going back on the morning I left.

The worst part was the NOISE. Not from outside, as mentioned earlier (this is also referred to on the website in the FAQ section - it mentions soundproofing, however, this doesn't stop noise from echoing from the concrete hallways through the wooden doors), but from your fellow guests. This place is stag night hell; I was kept awake by drunk blokes of various accents, banging on walls and floors, knocking on doors, the sound of men being (hilariously) locked out of their rooms by their friends, the sound of damage being caused and the receptionist being called from downstairs to report the damage, the smell of cigarettes being smoked and EVERY SINGLE WORD spoken by anyone in the hallway and/or adjacent rooms. This peaked at approximately 5am. On both nights.

The food in the Ware Rooms is limited to about 15 things that you would expect to see at a Wetherspoons with a large variety of alcoholic drinks available. It's not haute cuisine but your expectations are met. The wifi is free, but doesn't stay connected for long before it drops out.

The location of this place is perfect for town centre access and it was an easy ten minute walk back to the station. The place is suitable for those wanting somewhere to have a few hours kip between pub crawls, so the explanation that it's suitable from the ages of 18-80 on their website might need changing to 18-30, which would reflect its clientele (despite a sign by the beanbag room suggesting that kids might be on the premises somewhere - DO NOT bring kids here, especially if you need them to sleep). I stayed at the Edinburgh University halls of residence not long ago and that was a 5* paradise compared to here. Oh, did I mention the strip club across the road?

I get that it's a hostel, I'm not sure what I expected from this one but I definitely expected more for what I paid. All I really wanted was a base where I could do one thing - sleep. And I didn't even get that.

Don't be fooled if by thinking that by paying more you're getting a better deal. You're not. You're only getting more beds in your room and a higher level of resentment when you realise that for £200 for two nights meant you could have stayed in a Travelodge or similar and had a better night's sleep with less stress and better service. I reported the noise to the reception staff in the morning when I left, the male attendant was reasonable and apologetic and explained not much could be done at that point which I agreed with, but the female attendant seemed to take it personally. I don't dispute that they might have checked every floor every 20 minutes according to the female, and I can accept that reporting things after the fact makes it difficult to address, however, don't ask for feedback if you don't want it. I wasn't about to crawl downstairs at 5am in my pyjamas when my prime concern at that time was to sleep. And her insinuation that I was lying didn't go down too well either.

I will never again stay here, nor will I recommend anyone stays here.

• Stayed September 2013
Hello c0lm4ns

Thanks very much for writing such a thorough review on your recent stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was dismayed to note that you did not enjoy some aspects of your stay with and I would like to take this opportunity to apologise on behalf of the team and myself, for any upset or inconvenience caused.

I have already passed on your comments to the relevant personnel for corrective action and we will endeavour to ensure improvements are made in the areas specified.

Please be aware that there is a Duty Manager available 24 hours a day to deal with guest inquiries or complaints.

Thanks again for your comments

Travelers are raving about these Newcastle upon Tyne hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Stayed over here for 3 nights in January 2013. One of the mattresses had faecal matter stained onto it; the bathroom wasn't clean and the bar served the flattest beer I have ever consumed. My glass had never seen water/soap and my pint also had dirt floating in it - beautiful. I guess it is a hostel, but this isn't a third world country so basic sanitation cannot be ignored!

Definitely avoid.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Steve L

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I must apologise for the standards you experienced but may I point out that there is a Duty Manager available 24 hours to assist our guests with any inquiries or problems?

Thanks again for your feedback.
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I was impressed with the quality of this hostel in Newcastle. We arrived after the multi-storey was closed on a Friday night, but still managed to find street parking nearby (free overnight). The inside of the hostel is extremely modern and well maintained, and the staff were friendly.

We booked a triple room and received a room with two sets of bunks; one with two singles and one with a double and a single. A couple of niggles with the room; one of the bunks was missing a light, and there were only a few power points - not great with three (or more, given the number of beds!) people wanting to charge phones and cameras!

The bathroom was adequate - what one of my roommades called a 'turdis' - a wetroom, plastic, with toilet and shower in one. Unfortunately not larger on the inside like a Tardis, actually quite cramped. ;) A problem was that the shower curtain was nowhere near big enough, and I had to strategically place it and shower in a way so as to not get my clothing wet, as I couldn't use the shower curtain to totally contain the shower section. But, it was a private bathroom, so I only had to share with two guys. ;)

The hostel has a bar, and yes, it got pretty noisy on a Friday night - you can either close the windows, or, if it's hot like it was at the time we stayed, bring earplugs. The bar was quite handy for a drink and a game of pool before bed, although you are really quite close to the rest of Newcastle and it was pretty much deserted on Friday, I guess, for that reason exactly. There was an 'entertainment' room with giant cushions, which proved amusing.

In all I'd say that the hostel was great value for money, well located, good staff, good facilities, nice room, only the bathroom let it down a bit. For the price we paid (£20 per person) you really can't complain!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Hello Maccath

Thanks very much for providing a review for Tripadvisor after your recent stay with us @Euro Hostel Newcastle.

On the whole it appeared that you enjoyed your stay with us and I am very grateful for the points you've raised, both the positive and negative, and will forward these on to the relevant personnel.

Thanks again for your comments and I hope you will come back and stay with us again very soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I would not go to the Euro Hostel, or send anyone there even if they paid me.
3 male engineers stayed here for which was suppose to be a comfortable, cheap and easy stay whilst in Newcastle. The reality was a dingy room, stained and dirty bed sheets with hairs in the beds and about as much room to move as a fly in a box. If your looking forward to waking up and enjoying a nice continental breakfast as offered look forward to cheap cardboard bran flakes or a dry piece of toast. Oh and if your expecting plus showers you might want to take your own towels.. or even go to another hotel as apparently one between 3 is their policy. So dissapointed in what looked to be a good friendly and clean hostel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hello Huglalalab

Thanks for taking the time to review Euro Hostel Newcastle on your recent stay in the north east.

I was very surprised to read your comments and I must apologise on behalf of my team that we have not met our usual standards of service during your stay.

I would like to hear more about your stay so can I request that you contact me via email on pauls@newcastle.euro-hostels.co.uk?

Thanks you once again for taking the time to comment.