“Good value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Euro Hostel Newcastle

Euro Hostel Newcastle
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17 Carliol Square, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 6UQ, England   |
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed here for a 3 night break in November while visiting Newcastle. Was surprised to find it a lot nicer than thought it would be. Me and my friend booked a private room, it had two bunk beds in and a en suite bathroom. Was very clean and tidy and beds were comfy too. The bathroom was very small but the power on the shower was amazing. We didn't have breakfast so can't rate that but there is a bar in the hotel that supplied meals, snacks and drinks. Very central location minutes from shopping Pilgrim Street/Northumberland Street/Eldon Square etc. All in all for what we paid very pleased. Certainly the nicest hostel I have ever seen or stayed in :)

• 5 of 5 stars
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Hello marmite x

Thanks for taking the time to write a review on Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I genuinely appreciate your feedback and it was great to note that your stay was a success and you enjoyed your time with us in the north east.

Thanks again for your comments and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Scarborough, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Ok, one doesn't expect much when one checks in to these sort of places. And our expectations were met. Three of us sharing a room. Beds no problem. Bathroom a bit of an obstacle. To use the toilet entailed having one foot in the shower and to use the shower made everything in the bathroom wet, including the toilet. My two greatest niggles with this place concern night duty staff and breakfast. We were disturbed from our sleep by gangs of idiots running and screaming through the corridors at 3 am for over half an hour, letting off extinguishers and generally being yobs. We remonstrated with them and they wanted a fight. Where were the staff then ?
We paid an extra few quid for the alleged breakfast. It consisted of bacon, undercooked then reheated in the microwave, sausages that seemed to be full of a mystery meat paste, deep fried then microwaved, scarmbled eggs microwaved so long they were like bullets. Tomatoes which were ok and toast. I managed the tomatoes and toast but the rest was vomit inducing. Quite the worst breakfast I have ever had.Never again will I darken these doors and if you like food and sleep I recommend you give it a miss too.

• 1 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these Newcastle upon Tyne hotels

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Stayed here as part of a group in November and was relly impressed. Clean & basic rooms, perfect as a base as we didnt spend much time in the rooms anyway! Staff were fantastic from reception staff to the bar staff (Toni & Shan I think) who were always friendly and put up with alot from our noisy group! Having worked in hotels before I really felt that staff were top class and the hostel really does border on a budget hotel! (It's nicer than some travelodges in my opinion!)

Room Tip: We booked a large room (for eight or ten people) even though there was ony 6 of us, this meant we ha...
Hi Whiter4

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay with Euro Hostel Newcastle for Tripadvisor.

I was delighted to read your comments, in particular your compliments on our team.

We all hope you will return and see us again in the near future.

Thanks again
cardiff
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

i stayed here 24th - 26th november 2012 for a weekend away for my birthday with 2 friends. Only paid £20 each per night, very sceptical about staying at a hostel.
When we arrived, we were VERY suprised how central it was! literally a 2 minute walk from northumberland st (shopping) and loads of bars within walking distance. Quayside is also a 10 minute walk. I would never think of this place as a hostel i had in mind, it was just an amazing value hotel.
We had paid extra for a private room, which has en-suite facilities, 2 bunkbeds, tv and window that opens. I read previous reviews that rooms can get quite hot, i certainly not think this.
Only negatives i have is that the en-suite was smaller then one you would get in a caravan and can only fit 1 person in, and our room was right next to the lift and door so this could get pretty noisy.
Friendly staff and great facilities!
But overall i had an amazing experience here, and i have just booked to stay at the glasgow hostel. I wish Euro Hostel were all over the UK!!!

Room Tip: pay extra for private..
Hello Ceri J

Many thanks for taking the time to review Euro Hostel Newcastle for Tripadvisor.

I was delighted to read your comments and that your party seemed to have enjoyed a great weekend.

Thanks also for your feedback on the ensuite bathrooms. We'll certainly bear the size in mind when we plan our future sites.

Thanks once again for your feedback and I hope you will come and see us again soon.
Reuver, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

As far as hostels are concerned, this place is very nice. Though this was a mistake-booking ("hostel" was mistaken for "hotel"), it wasn't too bad at all. The building and all of the furnishings seemed new or newly-renovated, everything was clean and well-lit, though our room did not have a window, which I found very strange and made for pretty stuffy air (however a fan was provided in the room). The shower was nice and hot and the shower head was adjustable and worked well. The mattresses were good and we slept well, though there were some parties of younger kids coming in around 4am who woke us up for a bit. All in all, it was a very nice place, good location and GREAT if you're expecting a hostel. Just ok if you're expecting a hotel.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room with a window! Was strange and stuffy having a room without one.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hello AM S

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for Tripadvisor on your recent stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was pleased to note that you seemed to enjoy your stay with us, despite originally looking fro hotel accommodation.

I do hope you will consider staying with us again on your next visit to the area.

Thanks once again for your comments
glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights on a stag do. With 8 to a room, and £30 a night you know it's not going to have much to live up to and it done the job. Rooms are clean and functional. Showers were actually very good. Staff were friendly and helpful enough. I should have paid heed to the other reports on the cooked breakfast - it's truly awful. Conversely, the selection of cereals, toast and spreads etc was excellent and the pre-paid card which entitled me to my second cooked breakfast now resides in my wallet as a memento of a mad weekend.

• 3 of 5 stars
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Hello Se7enty2wo

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

Overall you appeared to have enjoyed your stay with us (apart from the cooked breakfast).

Thanks again for the feedback and I hope to see you again soon.
Chichester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed here for a night on a visit up north and found the Hostel to be quite pleasant. The receptionist greeted me with a smile and made me feel very welcome to begin with, and the location of the Hostel is very good- in the centre of the city without being on a main road.

The room was a little strange in that there were two bunk beds all for me, so I took the double bottom bunk and found it clean and comfortable. The room was narrow and quite small so probably would have been rather cramped if at full capacity, but was more than enough for myself for one night. A tall, large window let plenty of light in and although my room faced the street, it was very quiet, with no disturbances from either outside or inside.

The bathroom was compact but clean. The shower worked well and was nice and warm, and in general I felt comfortable. I did not have the breakfast the next morning due to time constraints, but even without breakfast I thought this was all very good value for money.

The reason why I have not given the Hostel five out of five is because some maintenance needed to be done in the room. One of the individual lights facing towards each bunk bed was hanging by a wire and looked a little dodgy, the toilet had to be coerced into flushing, and the shower head holder was broken. However, unlike most reviewers, I had no problem with the heating and found it perfectly suitable.

All in all, it's okay for a short amount of time and with not too many people occupying the rooms. It's very much a case of getting what you pay for, and for me, having never visited Newcastle before and going by myself, the great location particularly made it worthwhile.

Room Tip: I've heard that some of the rooms do not have windows. My room did, but without one it would be...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Hello Ilacerta

Thanks for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review on your recent stay at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was delighted to note that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us. Your feedback is very important to our business and I will ensure to pass your comments onto the rest of the team.

Thanks again and I sincerely hope you will come and see us again on your next visit to the area.