“Cheap and Cheerful” 4 of 5 bubbles

Euro Hostel Newcastle
Chichester
“Cheap and Cheerful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed here for a night on a visit up north and found the Hostel to be quite pleasant. The receptionist greeted me with a smile and made me feel very welcome to begin with, and the location of the Hostel is very good- in the centre of the city without being on a main road.

The room was a little strange in that there were two bunk beds all for me, so I took the double bottom bunk and found it clean and comfortable. The room was narrow and quite small so probably would have been rather cramped if at full capacity, but was more than enough for myself for one night. A tall, large window let plenty of light in and although my room faced the street, it was very quiet, with no disturbances from either outside or inside.

The bathroom was compact but clean. The shower worked well and was nice and warm, and in general I felt comfortable. I did not have the breakfast the next morning due to time constraints, but even without breakfast I thought this was all very good value for money.

The reason why I have not given the Hostel five out of five is because some maintenance needed to be done in the room. One of the individual lights facing towards each bunk bed was hanging by a wire and looked a little dodgy, the toilet had to be coerced into flushing, and the shower head holder was broken. However, unlike most reviewers, I had no problem with the heating and found it perfectly suitable.

All in all, it's okay for a short amount of time and with not too many people occupying the rooms. It's very much a case of getting what you pay for, and for me, having never visited Newcastle before and going by myself, the great location particularly made it worthwhile.

Room Tip: I've heard that some of the rooms do not have windows. My room did, but without one it would be...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Hello Ilacerta

Thanks for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review on your recent stay at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was delighted to note that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us. Your feedback is very important to our business and I will ensure to pass your comments onto the rest of the team.

Thanks again and I sincerely hope you will come and see us again on your next visit to the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Keighley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

I stayed for one night mid week and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. At £16 including breakfast it was excellent value. The Ware Room Bar is a great place to hang out and the food and drinks are reasonably priced. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for cheap and cheerful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Hi Rachel

Thanks for taking the time to write your review on Euro Hostel Newcastle after your recent stay.

I was delighted to see you enjoyed your time with us and the Hostel seemed to exceed your expectations.

Thanks again for your comments and I hope to be able to welcome you back to Euro Hostel on your next visit to the area.
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

Just stayed at Newcastle Euro Hostel for one night, midweek.

Found it great value for money, having booked a twin room, and was given a family room. Would have found the room a bit claustraphobic with 5 adults! Rooms were clean and tidy, we did notice that a few of the corridor walls had been patched with plaster looked liked they were ready for a paint.

The instructions on the website for finding the hostel were not helpful as they were aimed at the walker and not the driver. The location was fine for the city centre and quayside, a bit of a walk from the Arena, but did not feel unsafe walking back late at night. Hopefully the derelict building leading to the hostel will soon be updated as they did not look welcoming.

Did return to find bar locked at 11.45pm, having read that it was open to 5am, and was looking forward to a cocktail pitcher, so retired to room.

Would stay again and recommend to young at heart friends who only need a clean bed for a night.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Hello carbil

Thanks for taking the time to review Euro Hostel Newcastle for Tripadvisor.

On the whole it would appear that you enjoyed your time in Newcastle and your stay with us.

At present, the late bar closing times are scheduled for Fridays and Saturdays only. Through the week we tend to operate standard pub hours.

Thanks again for your review and we hope to see you again soon.
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Recently stayed at the Euro Hostel for a short break away with my partner, even though its classed as a Hostel it's better than many budget hotels I've stayed in and much cheaper! You can either book a bed in a room and share with other people or like us we booked a room to ourselves for only £39!
The rooms are basic but clean but what more do you expect for the money you pay. We ate in the ''Warerooms'' on our first night as arrived quite late and again very reasonable with regards to price and quality, great atmosphere too and found we spent more time in here than we normally would in a hotel bar, and if you like me where your partner is a football fanatic, then they do half price pints until the first goal is scored!
Other facilities included a kitchen and laundry room, which we didnt use as the food was cheap enough anyway without having to walk to shops etc then having to cook your own.
Sevice from the staff was second to none, always a smile and they seemed to genuinly enjoy what they do. I asked where the best nightlife was and we were offered wristbands which gave us free entry and discounted drinks in various bars and clubs around newcastle inluding the ware rooms, wish i knew this sooner as could have saved money on the meal we had the first night...
Overall I would definately stay again, and great value for money for what you pay!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Hello Louise Y

I appreciate the time you've taken to write a review on your recent stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle and The Ware Rooms.

I was delighted to note that you seemed to enjoy every aspect of your trip and it was fantastic that the team seemed to have delivered a memorable stay for both your partner and yourself.

Thanks again for your comments and I do hope you will come and see us again very soon.
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

A group of 10 of us stayed here recently for one night as we had planned to meet friends from the area!
We booked it because basically it was cheap at 20 quid each! It's not amazing but you need to remember it is a hostel not a hotel so don't expect amazing!
The rooms had windows thank god but they were fairly small so getting ready with 5 of you in there was a squeeze but we had our own bathroom and toilet so you can't complain!
The hostel seemed pretty clean so no issues there! They have a great bar in there but if our older if may be a bit noisy for you but not problem for us!
The food was pretty basic and I would never eat there again! They barely had a kitchen just an overused microwave and hot plate so any wedges were beyond soggy and mushy! Really not good!
Apart from that the hostel was great for the one night but I wouldn't have stayed longer and unfortunately one of our friend did have what seemed like many many bites all over her the next day so if that was due to the beds I can't say for sure but it certainly was a coincidence!

• Stayed September 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hi Emma B

Thanks for taking the time to review Euro Hostel Newcastle for Tripadvisor.

On the whole your group seemed to have enjoyed your stay with us and certainly enjoyed a great rate for your stay.

I will of course look into the points raised regarding our food offering and I hope you will notice an improvement on your next visit.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.
Bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

Although we only came to Newcastle for The Great North Run, and we decided to extend our stay to 3 days to visit the city, we were really surprised by the quality of the services we received. We do travel a lot and always use budget hotels and I can assure you that travelogue needs to rethink their marketing!!! Excellent value for money, very clean, amazing helpull and friendly staff, all together a great stress free stay. The hotel is very well positionned within the city centre and their is a NCP car park just next door. Not sure if we will be back as we were very desapointed by Newcastle itself but overall the hostel was great.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Hello Davidjp 1969

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was delighted to note you seemed to enjoy every aspect of your stay with us and we appeared to exceed your expectations.

Your comments are greatly appreciated and I do hope to see you again next year.

Thanks again
Kerry, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

I only returned home today, but felt compelled to write a review of this mess of a hostel as soon as possible in order to save someone else from suffering the same fate as we did. A number of reviews expand on what I will say, but here are the main points from our stay.

Firstly, I travelled with 6 other guys, and we were not looking for anything fancy, just a room to spend a few hours each night in.

The staff were beyond rude with the exception of one male member of reception and an middle-aged woman in the bar. I generally don't use names but the woman who claimed to be the bar manager, Toni, deserves special recognition. From the moment we arrived on friday evening, she disliked us without any obvious reason for doing so. We had a number of issues in the bar (During the day i.e. we were stone cold sober), one: One of the guys, upon ordering and half eating the microwaved mash and dodgy bangers, noticed a large hair in his meal. He told said manager, Toni, only to recieve "what is the hair from?" as the reply. Her solution to the problem was to offer my friend a free drink, which he refused, only to have it placed in front of him and she disappered.

Also on the subject of food, every meal seemed to be microwaved for hours to the point where it was inediable, esp the mash a.k.a. smash. They even messed up a simple toffee pudding! The guy who recieved the hair in his meal also got a hot/ice cold mix lasagne the previous evening, roasting on the outside, FROZEN on the inside.

Thankfully we didn't spend much time in the room, but the few hours we spent there were torture. NO WINDOW to begin with, broken AC, beds not made, four beds squashed into the smallest room the size of a wardrobe. If two guys stood in the space between the beds, the third and fourth guys had to open the room door and stand in the hallway, it was that small! Just to repeat, the beds were undone when we arrived, unacceptable.

Getting back to the staff. Toni, did not believe in treating us like customers, more like an inconvience. We were told that the residents bar stayed open til 5am, yet two of us were served at 4.30am, only for security to ask us to leave LITERALLY 1 minute later. We simply passed on that the reception staff had informed us that closing was 5am, but it mattered little to the ignorant security guys who seemed more interested in flirting with the childish staff that anything else. We left the bar shortly after 4.30am, careful not to ruin our 'realtionship' any further with manager Toni and her band of self obsessed co-workers. The following morning we asked another member of staff what time last orders was, and was told 5am. We left it slide.
Overall, there seemed to be a serious lack of authority over the staff, and most of them showed an obvious lack of pride in their work. Even ordering a coffee resulted in moans.

In my opinion, find someplace else. If a Hostel can't be bothered to provide simple services with even a hint of pleasantness from it's staff, what else can it do.

The worst place that I have ever stayed in, I feel sorry for the few decent staff in there, they are being painted with the same brush as the rest.

To any management reading this, I look forward to a reply, one without the perfected words, designed to throw blame from your establishment and paint us reviewers as "picky" or "oversensitive." Please do not copy and paste your replies from below.

End of rant.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Spell-it-out
Hello Spell-It-Out

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was very disappointed to read your comments and the fact that we seemed to have failed you in every aspect of your stay.

We will of course review your comments with the team and address all of your comments and complaints with the relevant personnel and their respective departments.

Your review of the hostel is very much appreciated and will hi-light areas of concern for us all.

Thank you once again for your response and I will endeavour to ensure a vastly improved performance should you reconsider your decision to stay with us again.