“Lovely room, great value, awful cooked breakfast....”

Euro Hostel Newcastle
Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

Hotel staff very helpful, the room was a private although it contained 4 beds (2 bunks, the bottom of one was a double bed). The bedrooms have a plastic wet room shower like those found in many hotels, great power shower. Linin and towels provided, tv in room, very spacious. Lifts to all floors. Overall the hostel felt better than most hotels, which for £29 a night is great. A continental breakfast is included, toast coffee and cereal basically, not waffles cheese and cold meats! I paid £6.50 for the large cooked breakfast, awful. Scrambled eggs dry and crumbly, sausages like cardboard, bacon solid and dry, beans with a skin. How does anyone do such a bad job of an English breakfast?

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Sam W
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2012

Hello Sam W

Thanks very much for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was pleased to note that you seemed to enjoy your stay with us.

We are looking at making improvements to the full breakfast offering and I hope you will notice the improvements on your next stay with us.

Thanks once again for your comments.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

I like the unique atmosphere of this hostel. We were on our last leg of driving around the entire UK and had seen it all from VERRRY bad to amazingly good places to stay. EuroHostel was a stand out because it was so modern so clean and so unique.

Key cards are required to enter the elevator and the main building after hours. These key cards also enable your lights to work while in your room. Decent bunk beds with clean folded sheets stacked on the DoItYourself style.

The bathroom made me laugh til I cried. In America everything is in ridiculous excess and I LOVED the ingenuity behind this micro bathroom that you can LITERALLY brush your teeth, shower AND [--] all at once if you wished...no kidding. I will post a pic of this so u can appreciate :))

Restaurant was decent, nice place to have a beer and shoot some pool. In the morning there was simple but adequate breakfast included.

On a side note there was a huge communal room full of bean bags and a tv...fun for all!
After several B&Bs and hotels, this was a refreshing change for me and my kids.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Michelle_Haley
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

Hi There

Thanks very much for taking the time to write such a thorough and comprehensive review for Tripadvisor on your recent stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to be able to welcome you back in the very near future.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

I stayed here with friends in July 2012. I was impressed with the security at the hostel - we all had key cards and you needed a key card to get in after 11. The restaurant downstairs was good value, we ate there once and got a main meal and a glass of wine for five pounds each. Room was clean. Staff were friendly and helpful. The hostel is about 5 or 10 minute walk from main shopping area.

The bedroom was small but four women were able to get ready in it. The bedroom was very hot most of the time. Our room had windows which helped a little. Bathroom was very small. Our tv crackled constantly which was annoying and made us concerned about the possibility of fire.

Room Tip: Ask for room with windows
Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank KittyBeag

Hi There

Thanks very much for taking the time to review Euro Hostel Newcastle.

Ensuring our customers receive value for money is important to me and I was pleased to note that you made use of the fantastic deals available in The Ware Rooms.

I was of course concerned to note the problems with the TV and maintenance have already inspected every TV on the premises to ensure they are functioning correctly.

Thanks again for your comments and I hope you stay with Euro Hostel Newcastle very soon.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

Stayed here a few weekends ago in a four person room. The room itself was a little bit cramped for four women but it met our needs and was large enough for us to get ready in. The hostel itself was clean, modern and stylishly decorated. We had a slight issue with the soap dispenser in our room but the staff were efficient and friendly in dealing with the issue. The location was very central and again met our needs. The only issue we had was the noise but we expected that, it's a youthful place and exuberant stag/hen parties stay there! Overall, we were very happy with our stay!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Hi There

Many thanks for your review on Euro Hostel Newcastle after your recent stay.

I was delighted to note that you appeared to really enjoy your stay with us.

Reviewed June 29, 2012

If you're not woken up by school children or drunk stag parties when you stay here, you'll be lucky.

This hostel looks very swish online, and obviously somebody at some point pumped a lot of money in (I mean, they have moving lights in the bar) to making what they thought was a hip, modern hostel. Sadly, though, the reality of the place falls very short both of the pictures and the vibe it sets for itself. This is a hostel that definitely gets treated as a hostel by both its guests and its staff. The frequency of school groups, football fans, stag and hen parties I assume means that there's never any time to clean any area thoroughly. The communal areas (reception, bar area, hallways etc) are dirty and the once sleek decor is now tainted with the hefty footfall of travellers. The rooms themselves are much the same - carpets were never hoovered, walls featured stains that I'd rather not think about, blinds were broken and fixtures were coming off the wall. (There were also these weird TVs that didn't work but fizzed whenever you switched the light on). The system of using your keycard to operate all the electrics in the room doesn't work, on a practical level. The 'bathroom' is a cubicle, and was, I must admit, clean and came with a brilliantly powerful shower. BUT having a bathroom in a dorm has never worked, in my experience of hostelling. Because hearing your room mates urinating on the toilet seat, or worse, is so conducive to a good night's sleep... The guest kitchen is small and messy. Wifi is chargeable, and the free stuff in the bar area didn't work in the five days I was there. On to the free 'continental' breakfast, which is terrible and gets swamped with school groups. Consists of cheap sliced bread, cheap cereal and the cheapest, most syrupy canned fruit salad money can buy (come on Euro Hostel, how much does fresh fruit really cost?!).

Staff here are obviously sick and tired of the place, as the ones I met were just going through the motions with me. Also they have had it drummed in to them by management that everything needs to be done as cheaply as possible, and so they have that attitude of 'you get what you pay for' with guests.

I suppose the most important bit is the bed, and you can't go too wrong with one. Indeed, the beds here are comfortable and clean, and what little sleep I managed to achieve through the noise and thought of tomorrow's hearty breakfast, I enjoyed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Hello There

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Euro Hostel Newcastle regarding your recent stay with us.

As the hostel establishes itself in the local market our popularity is increasing and, owing to our fantastically competitive prices, we do prove popular with the type of customer you mention i.e. male and female groups and school/student parties.

This however is not an excuse to allow our usually high standards in all areas of the hostel and bar to drop.

I am very grateful for you bringing these matters to my attention, and the team and myself will organise corrective action with immdiate effect.

Please bear in mind that there is always a Duty Manager available 24 hours a day to deal immediately with any complaints or issues.

Thank you once again for letting me know of your concerns and comments.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

Recently stayed here on a Stag weekend with 9 other lads, we had two rooms between us (5 in each) with bunk beds. Was a little tight but it did the trick & had everything we needed.

Really clean & stylish Hostel with freindly & helpfull staff that won't be beaten on price also the location is just perfect!

Only bad thing I have to say about the Euro is the service & quality of the English breakfast.... It took about 30-40 mins to receive our breakfast after ordering it & it wasnt all that at all...

My advice would be to book at the Euro,, you definitely won't regret it but eat your breakfast elsewhere :-)

• Stayed: June 2012

Hi There

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

It would seem that your party really enjoyed their time in Newcastle and I'm glad that the team here at Euro Hostel Newcastle were able to contribute to it.

I appreciate your feedback on all aspects of the stay and will ensure the delivery and operation of our breakfast service is improved.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

Recently stayed here as part of a stag do. Realised the olympic torch was due in Newcastle that weekend and would cause road closures so emailed hostel asking for alternative route. Recived a detailed personal reply within 5 minutes which i thought was excellent and really helped our journey. Check in was fine with staff really helpful and willing to provide information about our stay. Room was clean and functional albeit a little bit cramped. The main downside of the hotel is that it is very warm both in the rooms and in the restaurant. Breakfast was average and the women who served us didnt have us down as booking breakfast and treated us as though it was our fault when it was thier oversight. In general though an ideal place to stay with friendly staff and good facilities. Would definatley return in the future.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank laticsric

Hi There

Thanks for taking the time to write a review on Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was pleased to note the reception team were helpful and responsive to your request and able to assist again during check in.

Regarding the room and bar temperatures, our maintenance and design teams are currently looking to provide a solution to this issue.

Thanks again for your comments and we hope to see you again soon.