“Overpriced and outdated.” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ryton Country House
United Kingdom
“Overpriced and outdated.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

Had to stay at this hotel as was coming up for a family wedding and the rest of the party were booked in here. Arrived shortly after 2pm (official check in time) and had to wait between 10-15 minutes for anyone to appear at reception - despite ringing the bell 3 times. Not a great welcome after a 4 hour drive! And when someone did appear there was no apology for the wait, I was simply handed my room key and asked when I wanted breakfast.
And so up the (very creaky) stairs to my room. My parents were also staying at the same hotel and had received a welcome pack in their room, there was none in mine though. Although there was a coffee ringed menu for the restaurant downstairs (complete with tippex to highlight price changes).
The furnishing was basic (although some of the trim on the bottom of the dressing table drawers was broken), the bedlinen appeared to be clean, there was a television and hairdryer provided as well as tea and coffee making facilities (although the lead of the kettle was too short!!)
The bathroom was a reasonable size, with a shower over the bath. Mini toiletries were provided which was a nice touch, however when I ran a bath the top of the tap fall off revealing a very grubby underneath!
I managed to sleep well eventually, however the room was so hot initially it was very uncomfortable, there was also some form of generator outside my window which emitted a loud humming noise every few minutes.
Breakfast was great, probably the best part of my stay. Cooked breakfast was provided as well as a selection of cereals, fruit and pastries.
I was disappointed to note that the room obviously had not been cleaned very well after the last guests, proof was an empty wine bottle in my bedside cupboard!!
There was one member of staff who was lovely, she was very helpful and friendly and accommodated us in the bar after we got back from the wedding, but on the whole I found the staff to be slightly unfriendly. When I checked out I was not asked if things had been ok with my room, perhaps if I had been I would not be writing this review now!
For £69 a night I expect more from a hotel, unfortunately I can not say I would ever stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank liftlikealegend

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

I've stayed at ryton park a few times and every time I stay everything is great!!
Great service, great food, lovely rooms and really friendly staff.
I would highly recommend this hotel and will always stay there when traveling up north

• Stayed June 2012
Angus, Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

Paid a lot for this hotel, 1 night B&B for 2 cost £85 and we didn't even stay - took one look at the room and went to stay with my Mum instead who we'd come to see anyway. It definitely looked like it had seen better days, the decor was dated and furniture shabby. The room we were shown (twin-bedded) had such a slope on the floor the beds were angled down at the head to such an extent that we would have woken with a rush of blood to our heads! The furniture was old, brown and cheap-looking. Such a shame, was really looking forward to our stay. On the plus side, the staff were friendly.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Guisborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

Just wanted to say what a lovely time we had staying at the Hotel. Arriving after a long day we were greeted by friendly helpful staff, the room was very clean and comfortable with a good shower.We ate in and enjoyed good food and excellent service.After we took a walk around the Village which was very nice before returning for a drink.Breakfast was very tasty and yet again the staff could not do enough for you.If you want a well run relaxing comfortable hotel then this is it

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

Stayed here as we were attending a wedding nearby. Allowed us to check in early so we could be in time for the wedding. The Manageress was lovely, the staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was nice and the room was very comfortable.

Can't argue with that!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2012

I stayed here on business. Outstanding in every way!

Service was friendly and helpful. The hotel was comfortable and quiet. Dinner and breakfest was delicious. I had to leave early and the owners made a point to open breakfast just for me. And breakfast is the real deal, full English style.

This is a special place and one to be enjoyed!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Walkington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2012

If you're the type of person who likes the glossy, predictable but 'safe' experience found in one of the many hotel chains...you probably won't be reading this review. If however you rate the quality of your stay by the service you receive and the value you get for your money - this hotel has to be for you. Yes,if you read some of the less flattering reviews it's true to say that the decor that wouldn't find its way into the latest edition of Country Life, and fittings that don't reflect the latest fashion but everywhere was clean. Then of course you start looking beyond the facade to the quality of the overall experience and the amazing value for money that this hotel represents.
From the moment we arrived it was evident that the hotel manager does her best to ensure a happy and friendly atmosphere. I don't think we've ever experienced a warmer staff who make it the most welcoming of environments - they were brilliant.
We had our evening meal in the hotel and our breakfast. The quality of both meals was outstanding, far better than many restaurants we've dined in but at bar meal prices. My wife, a vegetarian would strongly recommend the mushrooms - the best she's ever had! Breakfast was equally as good and it required tremendous self restraint not to go for the full English. But the opportunity to experience the mushrooms again was too much.
Cask conditioned hand-pulled ale is on offer in the bar - at bar (and not hotel) prices. Three pints for less than £10 is not bad. Main courses ranged from just under £7 to about £15. We shared a starter and had a main each for just over £20 in total. Locals were dining alongside us, which is always a good sign.
On checking out I asked what the policy was on room allocation. Too often I've booked into impressive hotels through bargain websites to find myself in rooms that probably wouldn't be offered to other customers. We'd been upgraded on arrival into a more expensive room. The manager took me on a tour of all the rooms available and I have to say that even if we'd been given the 'base' room, I wouldn't have been upset.
Two footnotes on this one.
Firstly, if you can and the weather is good, get their early and take a trip to Housesteads or Steel Rigg on Hadrian's Wall - 20 minutes' drive away. Spectacular!
Secondly, we attended a business meeting after checking out. One of our colleagues had spent a rather unsatisfactory night at a well-known hotel chain and spent nearly £10 more for a single room B&B. I know where we'll be staying next time.

Room Tip: Before you book a country hotel through a bargain or discount website, check the hotel website or ph...