“Quality experience - bargain prices”

Ryton Country House
Walkington, United Kingdom
“Quality experience - bargain prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2012

If you're the type of person who likes the glossy, predictable but 'safe' experience found in one of the many hotel chains...you probably won't be reading this review. If however you rate the quality of your stay by the service you receive and the value you get for your money - this hotel has to be for you. Yes,if you read some of the less flattering reviews it's true to say that the decor that wouldn't find its way into the latest edition of Country Life, and fittings that don't reflect the latest fashion but everywhere was clean. Then of course you start looking beyond the facade to the quality of the overall experience and the amazing value for money that this hotel represents.
From the moment we arrived it was evident that the hotel manager does her best to ensure a happy and friendly atmosphere. I don't think we've ever experienced a warmer staff who make it the most welcoming of environments - they were brilliant.
We had our evening meal in the hotel and our breakfast. The quality of both meals was outstanding, far better than many restaurants we've dined in but at bar meal prices. My wife, a vegetarian would strongly recommend the mushrooms - the best she's ever had! Breakfast was equally as good and it required tremendous self restraint not to go for the full English. But the opportunity to experience the mushrooms again was too much.
Cask conditioned hand-pulled ale is on offer in the bar - at bar (and not hotel) prices. Three pints for less than £10 is not bad. Main courses ranged from just under £7 to about £15. We shared a starter and had a main each for just over £20 in total. Locals were dining alongside us, which is always a good sign.
On checking out I asked what the policy was on room allocation. Too often I've booked into impressive hotels through bargain websites to find myself in rooms that probably wouldn't be offered to other customers. We'd been upgraded on arrival into a more expensive room. The manager took me on a tour of all the rooms available and I have to say that even if we'd been given the 'base' room, I wouldn't have been upset.
Two footnotes on this one.
Firstly, if you can and the weather is good, get their early and take a trip to Housesteads or Steel Rigg on Hadrian's Wall - 20 minutes' drive away. Spectacular!
Secondly, we attended a business meeting after checking out. One of our colleagues had spent a rather unsatisfactory night at a well-known hotel chain and spent nearly £10 more for a single room B&B. I know where we'll be staying next time.

Room Tip: Before you book a country hotel through a bargain or discount website, check the hotel website or ph...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Newcastle, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

We visited 'The Country Club' (as it's locally known) for a midweek bar lunch a few months ago, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The bar is very traditional and cosy, with very friendly staff. The drinks are quite expensive but the food is very good value, when regarding the portion sizes. I ordered mince and dumplings and my partner ordered lasagne. The food was served within 20 mins and the potions are big! My partner's meal was served with a large side salad and garlic bread and my mince and dumplings was served with a large side portion mixed veg and mash. We thoroughly enjoyed our meals and for £8.95 each, it was very good value. Lovely! :)

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank angellea69
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

I've used the Ryton Park for many years and have stayed there many times. Unlike Zeb I've always found it satisfactory. Far from being shabby It's a nice quiet place and the food is usually good value for money and tastes great, with fast service and a fair choice on the menu.
The rooms are clean and comfortable if a little basic, and though the walls are paper thin the noise levels are not an issue. I see that they have upgraded to flat screen TVs though they should really have Sky available if not in the rooms at least in the communal TV room.
I've always found the staff to be friendly very friendly and competent and nothing is too much trouble for them. I stay away from home a lot through work and believe me I have paid a great deal more for a whole lot less. I like the old place and won't hesitate to stay there again in the future

Room Tip: o for a room with a bath rather than just a shower as these have the bigger bathrooms. Room 11 is my...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Karl K
York, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2010

Having read th rpevious review I was a little apprehensive about booking this hotel but it was near to where we wanted to be so gave it a go (only three nights anyway). I would not describe the hotel as shabby. The decor throughout was smart, clean and tidy though definitely not pretentious. The staff were very friendly and competent. The food was very good (and served on piping hot plates!) with courteous and quick service but not rushed.
The bedroom was small but adequately fitted (flat screen TV and tea/coffee making). The bathroom was very small and this is the one area that could do with updating but everything worked satisfactorily.
The bedroom walls were very thin but there was no noise late at night and we were not kept awake.
There was lots of car parking and the residents car park was very secure.
The hotel was very convenient for NT properties along the Tyne valley (and there is a regular bus service to the Metro Centre). A number of easy walks locally and a choice of eateries within walking distance although we ate in the hotel each night because we enjoyed it so much (we were only booked B&B).

It's not 4 star luxury but a comfortable small country house hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MikeCJ
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2009

There was nothing really terrible about this place, but it was definitely not worth the 65 quid I paid for a single room. The whole place is a bit shabby, tired and run-down. The room was clean though and the staff were friendly and helpful (with the exception of the manageress who definitely wasn't). If the price had been lower I would have had no real cause for complaint but I've stayed in much better places for considerably less so I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2007

Used this hotel as a base for 2 nights when visiting family and had no complaints. The bedroom was clean and very presentable, the staff were very pleasant and the breakfast was especially worth a mention - fantastic! Would stay here again the next time we visit the area.

Stayed April 2007
Cairn Hotel
#7 of 84 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Premier Inn Newcastle (Metro Centre) Hotel
Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park
Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth...
#23 of 84 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Hedgefield House Hotel
Hedgefield House Hotel
#1 of 24 in Newcastle upon Tyne

Been to Ryton Country House? Share your experiences!